If using FP Plus, need additional additives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently used Gumout Regane in my 3.0L I6 Toyota engine w/27k mi on it and noticed a significant difference in acceleration. I decided to research a bit and settled on FP Plus to keep the fuel system clean. I later discovered that some recommend using a cleaning product (Redline SI-1, techron, etc.) before an oil change IN ADDITION TO using FP Plus. Wouldn't FP+ eliminate the need for FI cleaners? If I knew that I would need to add cleaner before each OCI, I would not have ordered the FP+ in the first place. Does anyone else see this as redundant? I know that FP's cleaning properties are considered to be somewhat mild, but shouldn't it MAINTAIN the cleanliness of an engine to the extent that EXTRA cleaners are not needed? Any recommendations for me?

My understanding is that you will not need additional additives if you use a maintenance dose of FP+ in each tank of gas. The other fuel system cleaners, such as Techron concentrate, are primarily for people who want to perform periodic cleaning. I contacted LCD, the maker of FP+, and asked about mixing FP+ with Lucas UCL. LCD replied that it is not a good practice to mix fuel additives and that FP+ is all that is needed for cleanliness and UCL. You may want to PM the LCD representative if you have any concerns about your FP+ purchase.

ron, you should not need any other fuel system cleaners if you are using FP Plus. It will keep deposits from forming on the injectors and valves, and will slowly perform mild cleaning of old deposits. The only time you would need another cleaner would be to remove old deposits (pre FP Plus) quickly. In which case an oil change is recommended afterwards, to remove any residual cleaner that found it's way into the oil.

Thanks for the replies. What you are telling me makes more sense. I have already used Regane to give it a good one time, thorough cleaning and intend to use a maintenance dose of FP+ to maintain that. I suppose some people sleep better knowing that their fuel system is EXTRA clean by using additional products? Oh well, as long as was able to confirm that FP+ alone should be sufficient. Again, thanks for the input and great site - lots of knowledgeable people here. I look forward to learning a lot!

You probably won't need extra cleaners.
But, running one tank each year of the strong stuff may help, and won't harm anything. Sometimes different chemistries work on different problems better/worse.
So, an occasional rare switch seems like a good idea.

One interesting note is that my wife's 2006 Pilot was able to maintain 24.5 mpg on a tank of gas treated with FP+ during a recent trip from Houston to Atlanta. Her mileage averaged ~21 mpg on all subsequent tanks of gas. Assuming a 3 mpg increase due to the use of FP+ would amount to 60 miles of additional driving on the Pilot's 20 gallon tank. At $2.75 per gallon, this amounts to $8.75 in reduced fuel costs. Considering that a quart of FP+ is about $30 (shipping included) the benefit becomes very clear.

Good point, mechtech. After some thinking, I looked at it in that perspective. I can see the benefit of occasionally allowing a product with a different chemistry do it's work on anything the FP+ might have missed. I thought of it as similar to going to the dentist to get teeth cleaned even though one brushes twice a day. Plus, Gumout Regane is very reasonably priced and seems to do a good job for me.

On another note, I don't expect to see much of a mpg increase but will certainly let everyone know if I see a significant change. 3.5 mpg on the Pilot is amazing and I can only dream that I can see similar results.

Please keep in mind that this increase in mpg was 100% highway miles. I have not done enough testing to see what the benefit of FP+ is when the driving consists of city/highway. I will keep everyone posted as well.

I like fp+ and 131 but due to s/h per UPS for 131, fp+ wins...in the long run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back