Which oil for GMC Envoy 4.2L I-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on the fence between PP 5W30 or Castrol 0W30. Winter is coming, the worst this OCI is going to see is maybe -20C the next one will see the worst of Canadian winters where it will be -30C some nights... Thoughts?

That's funny. I was just wondering the same thing. A few days ago I purchased a 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer 4.2L I6. I was thinking of going with Castrol Syntec or syntec blend. Sounds like you want a synthetic. You can't go wrong with either of your choices. The GC 0w-30 is thicker, I guess that's about it for differences.

You also have 7qt's to buy. I believe the manual states exactly what you mentioned. It mentions a synthetic 5w-30 or 0w-30 is advised when at low temperatures like -20.

That engine does like Quaker State synthetic. I'm speaking mostly for my next-door neighbor - a loyalist to GM products & his current engine 4.2. I use QS presently in my GM Colorado 3.5. I'm very happy with it.... more-so than prior Mobil-1 - but been desiring to try Amsoil for years. So a couple of Amsoil ASL OCIs are next for me.

My Envoy did not care for GC 0w30. Fuel mileage has never been good on this vehicle, but it was horrible on GC. I switched to Schaeffer's 7000 series and haven't looked back. Given your choices, I'd pick PP.

My mom has the same car and I change the oil in it. I use Amsoil 5W-30 100% synthetic. But it just went in over the summer so we'll see how it'll hold against the Chicago winter.

Quote:

My mom has the same car and I change the oil in it. I use Amsoil 5W-30 100% synthetic. But it just went in over the summer so we'll see how it'll hold against the Chicago winter.

if u r using Amsoil 5W-30, it doesn't really matter, it's good for both hot and cold, i used to race with Amsoil 5W-30 in my Acura TL

I've used conventional Pennzoil 5W-30 and Mobil 1 5W-30, which I'm currently using. Our Trailblazer seems to like both, but I think GC would be too thick for this motor.

My newly acquired Trailblazer is currently running on Esso XD-3 0w30 since mid-June . I am not convinced it is the best choice. Start up noise (?in the valve train?) is quite noticeable. It may be too thick for this engine. OLM says I have another 75% remaining.. and since towing season is at an end, I figure this oil might last until early spring.
I have 2 M1 5w30 and 5 PP 5w30 OCI in waiting. Haven t decided what going in next.
twocents.gif

I would try XD-3 0W30 as my first starting point. It has a track record of doing a great job and it is a great product and a great price widely avilable in Canada!!!That engine is not hard on oil and will do fine with any decent XW30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back