Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 F350 6.0 Powerstroke
ESSO XD3 0W40
0L make up oil
7,540 km on oil
16,000 km on truck
06/28/07 Sample date

Blackstone Comments: This engine can still be considered fairly new at 16,000 total KM, so we suspect most of the wear metals are from break-in of new parts, while silicon is due to sealers used when the engine was assembled. If that’s the case, then we should see a nice improvement in both areas next time. Universal averages show typical wear from this type of engine after about 8,100 km use on the oil. Fuel isn’t high enough to call a problem at 1.5%, though it is something to watch. Everything else looks fine. Check back in 8,000-9,000 km next time. Things should look better.

Element/Unit/Universal
Al/3/3
Cr/3/1
Fe/59/22
Cu/10/3
Pb/3/3
Sn/1/1
Ni/1/0
Mn/1/0
Ag/0/0
Ti/0/0
K/15/4
Si/52/11
Na/5/3

Ca/3430/3117
Mg/9/83
Mo/7/30
B/2/33
P/1113/1120
Zn/1303/1284
Ba/0/2

SUS Visc @210F= 60.1 should be 60-74
Flashpoint in F= 395, should be >410
Fuel %=1.5, should be Antifreeze =0
Water% =0.0, should be Insolubles = 0.3, should be <0.7

This is my first UOA. Compared to another user with very similar conditions, I think I am doing ok, more Iron, less Silicon. I plan to post another in 8,000km.. Comments welcome.
canada.gif

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...true#Post583182

Keep taking UOA's to get a baseline for yourself. Esso XD3 is great oil. I use it in the coldest weather- it performs very well.

My last result is very close to yours, except I had just over 17,000 km on the truck and about 6500km on the oil.

2007 F350 6.0 Powerstroke
PetroCan Duron Syn 5w40
0L make up oil
6,500 km on oil
17,000 km on truck

Element/Unit/Universal
Al/2/3
Cr/1/1
Fe/20/22
Cu/14/3
Pb/8/3
Sn/1/1
Ni/0/0
Mn/0/0
Ag/0/0
Ti/0/0
K/7/4
Si/21/11
Na/4/3

Ca/3441/3123
Mg/9/83
Mo/3/30
B/3/32
P/1271/1120
Zn/1566/1284
Ba/0/2

SUS Visc @210F= 64.8 should be 66-78
Flashpoint in F= 395, should be >410
Fuel %=2.5, should be Antifreeze =0
Water% =0.0, should be Insolubles = 0.3, should be
This was the first time mine has showed diesel in three samples so far, before it would only show a trace amount. I did about 80% of the miles doing heavy towing with a combined weight around 21,000 lbs. I have been told these engines will do this when worked hard. Blackstone wasn't too concerned, and will see what happens with the next sample. My wear metals and Si were much higher on my first two samples. My Si started at 59 and my Fe was at 36. IJ have been short changing my oil around 6,000 to 6,500 to help bring the Si and wear metals down a litlle faster. I bought a case of XD-3 on Friday for my next oil change as I want to run it for the winter. I was planing on doing a VOA on the AD-3 0w40 when I send in my next sample and will post the result when I get it done. (should be about the 2nd week of Oct)

How do yo like the PC Duron 5W40? I find it a tough choice to decide between XD3 0W40 and PC Duron 5W40.

Super,
I am really impressed with your results with the PetroCan, I was thinking of going with that myself, now I think I am going to have to. I am a little disapointed that PetroCan doesnt have a CJ4 in a 5W wieght anymore. One thing I should note is I did not short my mileage on the first change (I went 8K KM). I think this might be a good illustration of of the benigits of doing that.

Quote:

Super,
I am really impressed with your results with the PetroCan, I was thinking of going with that myself, now I think I am going to have to. I am a little disapointed that PetroCan doesnt have a CJ4 in a 5W wieght anymore. One thing I should note is I did not short my mileage on the first change (I went 8K KM). I think this might be a good illustration of of the benigits of doing that.

PC has the Duron E 10W40 as well. I remember on another post on this board Terry Dyson mentioning that he liked the numbers with that oil or that he was interested in it. I think next oil change for myself I am going with the PC Duron 5W40, however.
My feeling is that it says a lot about an oil from Canada if our neighbors down south are saying good things about it.
canada.gif
patriot.gif

Duffman
I have had good results with it. It is not a group 4 PAO like the XD-3 0w40, but a very good group 3 from what I have been told. I wish I could find it for the price I paid for the XD-3. I was going run it through the winter, but decided not to. I have a feeling we are going to have a long cold winter this year...we'll see. What I liked about the Duron is I can buy it at the service station just a block up the street from where I live. To get the Esso produts I need to go the the bulk station across town.

Iron is still high, but I am happy with the drop in Si. Next nalysis will be with Petro Canada Duron-E 10W-40. Comments welcome.

Your mileage is low, so I have to agree with Blackstone on this one...looks like break in wear, silicon too.
The XD3 sheared pretty good...check out that 10.47 Cst at 100C. Right at the bottom. Doesn't seem to bother the 6.0.
The XD3 has a great additive pack...
Is that 24110 KM's? or did you convert to miles before you sent the sample in?

Originally Posted By: Duffman77
Iron is still high, but I am happy with the drop in Si. Next nalysis will be with Petro Canada Duron-E 10W-40. Comments welcome.

So we can expect it around this time next year...
LOL.gif
looking forward to it.
If you have better results with PC (If Super08's experience is any indication, you may) stick with that. Good to find something that works well for you.
thumbsup2.gif

That's pretty cool this lube doesn't look like a CJ-4 type add pack that I was expecting to be used in an 07. I don't think you will have an issue with the DPF anyhow because you haven't consumed any of the oil anyway :). Nice report for a powerstroke.

D62145.png

Oil should read Petro Canada Duron E 10W40 (CJ4)
I ran this oil out another 1000+km to see how it handled shearing, next sample is sitting beside me. I am not happy with blackstone taking 1 month getting back to me on this as obviously there is a problem.

Engine has never towed, did see some hills in Northern Ontario last summer. I disagree with their assesment being load related as there is no bearing material showing up and Al is low. I think it is valvetrain or other but what do I really know? I need some help on this guys!

Truck sees cold weather starts in the winter but this sample was done at the start of Dec and it was extremely mild up to that point. Truck has always had quality oil and is really babied with warm up time, cool down when required, its rarely loaded up. Truck seems to use oil, how much I am not exactly sure but I think it is over 1L over 8000km which I think is high for a new engine but blackstone said on my last report the rings must be seating nicely.

Last edited:
I've been using the CAT lab in Edmonton...I prepay for the samples and drop off in the box out front of the lab. They usually take two days. I'm also looking at Oil Analyzers as well, they charge a decent price and you get tbn with it (OA)

I don't think anything is wrong here...I had high iron about the same mileage as you. Granted, I have a different engine, but you still have relatively low mileage for your truck. It's frustrating, I know.
thumbsup2.gif

I would say your iron will drop. When, I don't know, but your report almost mimics mine to a tee...(except on the viscosity). I would also find a different lab. Blackstone, while good, just made too many errors for my liking. They could never get it that I was submitting reports in KM, and sometimes their comments are too general.
The CAT lab is good, but all you get is the numbers...You have to interpret. I'm going to check on OA, though I think.

Last edited:
Yeah I am done with blackstone after this last sample goes in. I have seen others complain of accuracy and wait times and this time was too long for me. They screwed up the oil grade, if you look at the last 2 reports of what oil viscosity should be, it changed on this one (I think it is right this time, not the last 2).

I asked this question before about a company doing analysis and someone turned up a company in Ontario (might have been oil analysers) but when I went to their site I couldnt find the ordering information or pricing so I just stuck with Blackstone. I will probably check Cat out. My new employer uses a different company as well, I will check that out on Friday and compare pricing.

DRoc,

I hope you are right on the iron, my gut is telling me otherwise. 50 is high but not scary like over 100 would be. I am just going by what other 6.0s on here have been like Super08's listed above. I did a search for powerstroke UOA and came up with 2 to compare with

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1078699&fpart=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=586596&fpart=1

One of them is similar in that it has an Fe problem without many other symptoms and one is from a low mileage 6.0 whose iron is way lower than mine. I had a perfect UOA bookmarked but the link is now dead.

Note to moderators, I do realize that webspace costs money but VOA and UOA are not big threads and technical info is something somebody would go back in time and search unlike the more general threads that maybe need cleaning out after a few years. Maybe in the future these could be archived?

Back to this oil sample, one positive out of it was that the Petro-Can out performed the ESSO in shear resistance. I had wondered if the CJ4 oils were more resistant as they are advertised to be but in this case I think maybe the Petro-Can is better as this oil stacks up with the CI4+ that Super08 used in his. Ni and Manganese is showing up as well. Both are alloys used in certain steels which makes sence since I have only an Iron problem. Not sure what components in this engine use those alloys though.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Duffman77
DRoc,

I hope you are right on the iron, my gut is telling me otherwise. 50 is high but not scary like over 100 would be. I am just going by what other 6.0s on here have been like Super08's listed above. I did a search for powerstroke UOA and came up with 2 to compare with

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1078699&fpart=1

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=586596&fpart=1

One of them is similar in that it has an Fe problem without many other symptoms and one is from a low mileage 6.0 whose iron is way lower than mine. I had a perfect UOA bookmarked but the link is now dead.

Note to moderators, I do realize that webspace costs money but VOA and UOA are not big threads and technical info is something somebody would go back in time and search unlike the more general threads that maybe need cleaning out after a few years. Maybe in the future these could be archived?

Back to this oil sample, one positive out of it was that the Petro-Can out performed the ESSO in shear resistance. I had wondered if the CJ4 oils were more resistant as they are advertised to be but in this case I think maybe the Petro-Can is better as this oil stacks up with the CI4+ that Super08 used in his. Ni and Manganese is showing up as well. Both are alloys used in certain steels which makes sence since I have only an Iron problem. Not sure what components in this engine use those alloys though.

That first UOA is superb...the second one is terrible. On first glance, I thought the first once was with Delo, due to the Moly. After reading through the thread and looking at his viscosity again, it's obvious he used Schaeffer's 9000 5W40...
Perhaps you could PM that member and relate your usage and driving habits.
It's possible there is really nothing wrong here, and a change to a certain oil MAY bring you the results you search for....
Schaeffer's sure does seem to perform well in the 6.0.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back