which oil has least friction?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a oil that is superior to others in terms of lowering the Coefficient of friction?

I am looking for an oil that reduces the friction as much as possible. Maybe an additive?

Amsoil, Redline,some M1 data available that posts that kind of data in their tech sheets in somewhat vague terms.

Most will compare their oil in a relative sense to anything inferior to it.

What makes one oil slipper than next? since synthetic or group III oils have more uniform and smaller molecules then would they have lower u Friction?

Torco oil is probably one of the thinnest weight oils on the market. Visit their website at http://www.torcousa.com I am currently running their SR-1 5w20 synthetic oil (too early to notice any difference,just put in). Torco states that their SR-1 synthetic oils will provide 1-3 % increase in h.p. and 6-8% increase in fuel efficiency versus dino AND SYNTHETIC of similiar viscosities. Check their website out (under header "facts").

The oil with the least coefficient of friction if found does not actually mean it's the best oil in service though in all the applications .

More comes into play than just that even in most racing type engines .

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:
Red Line has the lowest friction co-efficient.

The un streetable race oil or the street oils ?

If you don't mind can you post where this info came from and how the testing was performed along with the other oils tested that fell behind / year of the testing ect ?

Thanks in advance
cheers.gif

quote:

With our soluble moly and penetro90 additives. I would have to rank Schaeffer's right up there.

Schaeffer's blends are undoubtedly the better blends on the market.

The penetro additive (not Penetro90, since it is a spray type rustbuster/lubricant) is a special combination of surfactants and supplemental organo-metallic AW/anti-oxidant additives.

Schaeffer's pioneered the use of soluble molys in engine lubes and hydrualic oils for friction reduction/antioxidant use, and suspended moly powders in gear Lubes for EP protection.

I agree with Motorbike in that the lowest coffient of friction may not be the best for the engine. I think this is true because different mechanism; piston/cylender//valve/rocker//camshaft/lifter/crankshaft/bearing each has their own set of requirments for minimum wear.

quote:

Originally posted by Bobert:
http://www.aerospacelubricants.com/catalogue/pdf/Prodri~1.pdf

"Customers report reduced operating temperatures up to 45ºF when compared to conventional lubricants and up to 30ºF compared to other synthetic motor oils. These performance characteristics result in operating efficiency increases of up to 15%."

That's a big reduction in temps..Good grief.
spaz.gif

Just think of all the poor snakes they have to kill to make a quart of that stuff.

quote:

I'm no chemist. Penetro90 is a combination of substances we created

Taken out of context this quote is HILARIOUS. Like something Chevy Chase would have said in Fletch!

The thinnest viscosity at a given temperature will give you the lowest hydrodynamic friction. Is that what you are really asking? If so, Redline 2wt racing oil would be the winner.

A small motorcyle racing team that I have involvement with tried that theory and it turned out that the engine actually LOST power vs a thicker oil . The reason was a loss of compression due to the inability of the thin oil to help the piston rings seal and develop maximum compressson.

quote:

Penetro90 is a combination of substances we created.

Just trying to clarify things, Salesrep.

Penetro90 is Schaeffer's spray lubricant/rust-buster product in aerosol cans and also available in bulk, I believe. Normally available in round Yellow cans and has a faint yellow dye in it. Excellent product.

Schaeffer's internal additive package is called "penetro" and is a special combination of surfactants and supplemental organo-metallic AW/anti-oxidant, and friction modifier additives.

Well stated Kule. The penetro and the Moly actually combine with each other. Moly bonds to metal sufaces and when combined with penetro magnetize. This combination is unique to Schaeffer's.
And yea penetro90 is a great product as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back