Fuel additives = increased engine wear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read over many post where on occasion someone chimes in on "how they have increase lead/wear from their bearings" from using certain types of fuel system cleaners. Is there any fact or true to this? I realize that someone may have a problem if the ratio of gas to cleaner is off. Is there any proof of this happening? I use the techron additive every 3000 miles on fill up. Run one tank without any additive, then I use the Lucas additive 6oz per tank (16 gal) on every fill up.

yes, elevated wear can be seen in UOA's from use of fuel additives. IMHO, the best time to use an additive that could show elevated wear is on the tank of gas BEFORE you do an oil change. Once the tank is near empty, change your oil. This will minimize the amount of time fuel additive chemistry could be in your oil causing the elvated wear.

Hammer

I've had my suspicions about this, also. I used Techron Plus twice between OCIs and got an elevated lead reading on the analysis. It wasn't anything out of the ballpark, but enough to catch my eye.

Gas itself will do the same thing overtime with or wihtout additives, that's what oil chnages are for. The nature of the explosion is to have byproducts that cause wear in your internals.

I will have a UOA done very soon (My first). 2006 Mustang GT, Its been on a diet of RL, RP, Mobil 1, Motorcraft, and PP. BITOGs make me change oils all the time! Currently with 40000 miles, car has had techron cleaner every 3000 miles, I usually run the techron just before I change the oil.

I used Amsoil Pi in a tank of gas just prior to changing the oil in my wife's 2006 Honda Pilot. The UOA (M1 5W-20, 4K miles) looked very good and is posted on this forum if anyone is interested. I use Lucas UCL every tank in my 2007 Civic LX and will post a UOA in a few months. Personally I have not seen anything to indicate that using fuel treatments is detrimental.

The additive doesn't cause actual engine wear, but instead it can cause a chemical reaction which can appear to be more wear in a UOA.

Terry has stated that the old Redline and Amsoil fuel additives were known to react with softer metals and cause a UOA to be skewed with higher metal counts (but that does not mean that more metal is being "worn away"). He has stated that FP60 does not cause this, and based on that I'm sure the newer FP's are the same way.

It wasn't that long ago all gas was leaded, and when we switched to unleaded I remember everyone worrying about engine wear w/o lead. In fact, until this year all NASCAR racing used leaded gas, for that same reason. I'm not sure minascule of amount of lead is at all harmful to an engine.

what about good ole MMO? I have used it in my truck every fill up since day 1. I did a UOA and everything was fine. The wear numbers were low. I use chevron gas only and every once in a while (once every year or so) Ill dump some of the techron cleaner in there. Truck has 72k on it and it run better than it did the day I drove it off the lot.
banana.gif

Quote:

what about good ole MMO? I have used it in my truck every fill up since day 1. I did a UOA and everything was fine. The wear numbers were low. I use chevron gas only and every once in a while (once every year or so) Ill dump some of the techron cleaner in there. Truck has 72k on it and it run better than it did the day I drove it off the lot.
banana.gif

anyone else run mmo on a constant basis? ive been running if for 3 tanks now and on my last tank i gained 2 mpg, don't know if its coincidence or not.

MMO will help clean the fuel system [and keep it clean], and is a pretty good top end lube [valves and upper cylinder].
MMO worked well on fuels that left lead deposits, but still has value today.

MMO? Marvel Mystery Oil? Haven't heard much about that in years. Do you folks add it to the gas on a regular basis, of so how much?

I can remember this from when I was much, much younger. Can you / should you run it in the crankcase at all?

Just curious. My father and uncles used to swear by it.

It's not the preferred treatment of choice by some of the ultra technical members. It's a solvent and it's cheap. 4oz per 10 gallons of fuel. I did a massive dose once or twice. By massive I mean a half gallon in 20 gallons of fuel. Just gave me a light fog for an exhaust. The heads were pulled shortly afterward and they had no deposits ..nor did the pistons. Emissions testing went fine.

The stuff smells nice as far as automotive chemicals go
dunno.gif

As I said in my last post, I have used it in every tank since new. I do not use it in the crankcase of my tundra because I run syn oil. I do use it in the crankcase of the wife's 91 honda civic. I tried 1 oil change in her car w/out the MMO and the engine had a viberation to it that was not there where I used 1 quart MMO. I haved used it in the crank case of all my previous vehicles (1993 S-10, 79 Pontiac Trans Am and 79 Pontiac Firebird). These are just some of the questions copy and pasted from the marvel mystery oil website.

Is Marvel Mystery Oil safe to use in today’s “high-tech” cars?
Yes! Marvel Mystery Oil is completely safe in today’s high-tech cars and provide the same benefits as it has since 1923-cleaner engines, upper cylinder lubrication, reduced acid and sludge build up, improved fuel economy, clean and lubricated fuel systems and many more!

ADDING TO FUEL

How much Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) do I put in my gasoline tank?
Marvel recommends using 4oz of MMO for every 10 gallons of gasoline.

Can I use MMO with every fill-up?
Yes. In fact many Marvel users who use MMO with every fill-up report significant increases in fuel mileage.

Will MMO cause any damage to oxygen sensors, fuel sensors or catalytic converters?
No. MMO has undergone rigorous testing to ensure the safety of all internal components in your vehicle including highly-sensitive oxygen sensors, fuel sensors and catalytic converters.

Can MMO be use in vehicles with fuel injectors?
Yes. MMO can be used in vehicles with fuel injectors. MMO provides additional lubrication to the injectors and helps prevent the formation of hard carbon deposits on the injectors. Injectors fouled with hard carbon deposits do not perform optimally and reduce mileage and performance.

Can I use Marvel Mystery Oil with diesel fuel and if so, how much do I use?
Yes, you can use MMO in diesel fuel as well as gasoline. Use the same amounts as the gasoline treatment recommendations-4ozs of MMO for every 10 gallons of fuel. However, MMO does not comply with federal low sulfur content requirements for use in model year 2007 and newer diesel motor vehicles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back