Torco or Schaeffer or Castrol, help me choose!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a vw 1.8turbo with 55,00o miles, which is chipped and driven hard. I am going to change my oil next week and was using amsoil 5w-40 ever since I've bought the car new. But the price is too much for me, so I am trying to find alternatives. I have narrowed the choices to these three because they are very close in price.
1) Torco SR-1 5w-40
2) Schaeffer 9000 5w-40
3) German Castrol Syntec 0w-30
Pick one or rate the choices and give a reason, thank you.

Like boxcar said, the SR-5 series is a great product but I would think it would be more expensive than the Amsoil. Out of the three you listed, my choice would be:

1) Schaeffer 9000 5W-40
2) Torco SR-1 5W-40 (are you sure they make 5W-40 in the SR-1?)
3) German Castrol Syntec 0W-30 (if you can find it)

The Schaeffer 9000 is a Group III/PAO blend, the SR-1 is a Group III, and who knows what the new German Castrol is. I really like the additive package on the Schaeffer's.

Just my opinion.

Amsoil is much better than GC

and if you buy the Amsoil thur the distributor, it should be cheap and u can get it for bulk price, for me in canada i go to pick up at the Amsoil distribution centre so it even saves the shipping cost, and it works out cheaper than the GC by a dollar per bottle

I'm confused. If you look up Torco SR-1 5W-40 and Amsoil Euro 5W-40 on their respective websites, you'll see that the price is ten cents different. I don't see how you'll get much of a cost savings there, unless you get a deep discount. Amsoil Euro is a well-built oil and works well in your engine.

If all your concerned about is keeping the engine from sludging up, find the cheapest high detergent 502.00 approved oil that you can find and change it every 5K miles. If you can find Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 it will most likely be the lowest cost.

I have never used Schaeffers but the uoa's I have seen make it the best bang for the buck I seems to have great base stocks 'syn or petro 'And more than your $$$ worth in additives.

Schaeffer's is the sleeper oil of the choices you listed. Torco does make some very fine products, but also has the pricetag to match. Like others have said, who knows what Castrol basestocks are at any given day of the week.

Schaeffer's offers a mighty fine product, at a very competitive price. And from what I understand, the 9000 Series isn't all that much more than the 7000 series in price.

So I vote for Schaeffer's first, Torco second.

Ditto... but doing the $300 order thing sets me up for a while with oils, additives, etc., and so it works OK...

JMH

Two fresh changes to schaeffers 9000 5w-40. on two 2000 Jetta 1.9 TDI after seven years of Rotella T 5w-40. Sure is a pretty Green color like GC. Thanks to info. from BITOG. Closest dealer to me is in East Liverpool O. Hayse Oil Co. Grest people, Glad I made the trip. (15.96 gal.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back