Amsoil vs. Redline vs. Royal Purple.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im new to the site, and realize this is a somewhat irrevelant question, but anyways..... Ive noticed Amsoil is very popular on this site, they make great products, ive used them many times. In fact Amsoil is in the transmission, transfer case, and diffs in my tacoma as we speak. I also noticed Redline seems to be popular. I dont see too many posts discussing Royal Purple. I compare the three because they're usually regarded as the most "premium" brands, and the "real" synthetics. Also the most expensive Now, Id never heard of Schaeffers before i started poking around here, and realize its products are blends, but how does it stack up against the other three?

I've used RP API SL motor oil in a Dodge Ram Hemi, a Toyota Highlander 1MZ engine. Both times the UOAs were disappointing--much higher Cu wear in the Ram then Exxon Superflow or M1--now trying Qs Torque Power. The Toyota has showed higher Fe and Cu than with M1. The MaxGear gear oil (75W90 and 75W140) both produced much more visible Fe wear particles on the drain magnets than Amsoil equivalents (SVG). As soon as my stash of MaxGear and Motor oil are gone, I'm returning to Amsoil SVG in the diff's and xfer cases on my Ram and Highlander. In the engine, I now use Qs syn's (Advanced and Torque Power).

Roger...

Schaeffer's is a high quality blend, using a good dose (not off of the wall like Redline) of moly in it's formulation. It has full synthetic capabilites with the semi-synthetic price point too.

But I have to ask, with Amsoil in the system, why change a very good thing?

Schaeffers does make a full synthetic. Great products Schaeffer's makes. I realy like Royal Purple Max-Gear.. Redline and Amsoil is of course excellent..

Just curious how they compare to each other thats all.....i have amsoil SVG in my trucks tranny diffs and transfer case...im not replacing it, im very happy with it. Im suprised Royal Purple showed a dissapointing UOA though...

the so called full synthetic schaeffers is actually a group 3 tech. accoding to the ruling from the castrol and mobil law suit...in actuality not a true syntheitc...it is an excellent oil.

Quote:

the so called full synthetic schaeffers is actually a group 3 tech. accoding to the ruling from the castrol and mobil law suit...in actuality not a true syntheitc...it is an excellent oil.

NO, it is a Group-III and IV blend. And there was NO lawsuit.

Hammer

Quote:

Will the lawsuit myth ever go away? You can split hairs over Schaeffer's formulations all you want but the proof is in the UOAs.

RP is not discussed muchj becuase it does not perform anyplace close to the other's mentioned. It also does not live up to it's addvertiseing hype. It is an ok oil with a premium price. It does not do badly it just does not do as well as cheaper products that have been around much longer.

Amsoil is very consistent in term's of results. M1 is also very consistent in term's of results. Redline is not as consistent as Amsoil or Mobil but they almost alaways produce results were other's fall short and in a good many case's they give results not achieveable with other products.

----, so much redline bashing.

OP Go read the UOAS and be sure to take note on the history of the vehicle.

Redline is a fan-fawking-tastic oil. It shows high wear metals on the first 2-3 oil changes and then hits way bottom level.

People that do one UOA with redline are always diapppointed, keep that fill in there for a few changes and see what happens.

Amsoil is really good as well, I use there lubricants in part with Redline.

Royal purple blows, simple and safe to say.

IMHO I would use oils in this order.

1. Redline
2. Amsoil\Motul
3. Mobil 1
4. Castrol Syntec
5. Pennzoil Platinum
6. Royal Purple

etc etc

If Redline has an "off the wall" dose of moly in it, can't that be too much for certain applications? Specifically as a motor oil for newer vehicles? Ive always made sure to use moly-formulated grease when greasing heavy equipment but never really thought about it in a motor oil. I guess it would make sense for a gear oil.

Vspec, I wasn't bashing Redline at all...That's just my incomparable charm in descriptive analytical terminology...
grin.gif

I personally like Redline, have used them in the past, and everybody knows just how many UOA's that I've done to know about the wear metal syndrome.
laugh.gif

Tell me more about your liking of Motul.

My understanding is that a lawsuit precipitated the Mobil v. Castrol debacle. It is true that they stipulated to arbitration by the National Advertising Division (NAD)of the Better Business Bureau arbitration. And yes, the NAD/BBB arbitration did settle the issue; however, my understanding is that there was an initial "legal flurry", e.g., a lawsuit that preceded the arbitration.

I realize that we are beating a "dead horse to death", but I am not sure the correct answer has yet emerged on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back