It would be nice to know what oil was used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Given that he originally was leasing it, I would wager the oil changes were either by dealer and/or (later on) by Jiffy lube type places.

Would be interesting to know.

Knowing what he used would take some of the fun out of this forum. There would be no need to argue about what oil works well . What if he didn’t use anything special and used Fram filters?

My gf's brother had a toyota pickup that went a million KMs(620,000 miles) before it was a writeoff.

I think he used GTX, and the only engine work he ever needed was a timing chain.

Didn't burn oil either.

I'm coming close to 1/2 million miles on my 92 Caprice and I've used mostly Castrol GTX, Wix, Pure One and many Fram filters.
The key is changing the oil around 3k miles and no more than 5k miles.

Only major engine work was a new timing chain and gears at around 300k miles. The car doesn't use any oil during the OCI.
I bought the car in 92 as a dealer demo and most of the mileage is highway miles.

Driving conditions and driver habits are more important than the engine oil. We see this in fleet work all the time. Recently we had one delivery driver turn in a vehicle that turned 100k miles in 15 months. He and one other driver, always these same two were the only drivers and the vehicle was in pristine condition when returned. In the same area, Los Angles we've had many drivers working as singles or in pairs turn in vehicles at 75k miles in two or three years that were falling apart under the same maintenance schedule by the same mechanics using the same fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back