Best Car Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best car battery to purchase. My wife's car needs a new battery soon. It is starting to die on us. I have checked prices, and most are under $90 or so. What would be the best brand? It is a size 35.

I really like Interstate batteries, had great luck with those. Also really like OEM Honda/Acura batteries (not sure who makes em, but they work great and start in below freezing temps with no problem!)

NAPA batteries are mentioned multiple times in the reprint of this Consumer Reports test from late 2005.

• Group size 35. For many Japanese-nameplate vehicles, including most recent Honda Accords, most Subarus, and most Nissan and Toyota vehicles. The NAPA Legend 7535 ($60) is maintenance-free, while the Autocraft Silver 35-1 ($50, from Advance Auto) requires periodic checks of its electrolyte levels. Both are suitable for cold and warm climates.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2005/nov/02/vehicle_batteries_put_test/

I'm a bit confused by their usage of the term "maintenance free". When I think of a maintenance free battery, I think of a battery you cannot add water to without using a drill, like practically all AC-Delco batteries. (Contrary to popular belief, these batteries DO have vent holes, they are not totally sealed. Many also carry a "DO NOT TIP" warning, what does that tell you?)

But they mention a Wal-Mart Everstart "maintenance free" battery. I've never seen any "maintenance free" batteries at Wal-Mart, all have removeable caps and can have water added if you so desire.

These are what are more commonly known as "maintenance accessible" batteries: You can forget about adding water to them and they'll probably last just as long as a "maintenance free" battery in the same application, BUT you also have the option of adding water to them to prolong their life (without using a drill).

I like Costco batteries, or Autozone Duralast batteries. Both are "maintenace accessible".

To update the CR testing, latest is from Oct-2006 in performance order for Group 35.
NAPA Legend 7535 $60 64/100
Duralast 35-DL $60 63/100
DieHard Gold 33035 (North) $90 56/100
Autocraft Silver 35-1 $50 55/100
Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-35 $80 49/100
DieHard WeatherHandler 30035 (North) $60 42/100
DieHard WeatherHandler 303035 (South) $60 37/100
Interstate Mega-Tron MT-35 $70 37/100

Looks like NAPA is still on top in that group.

Surprising is how poorly the Interstate batteries performed... one received the lowest score (and was the third most expensive), and the other was in the bottom four (despite being the second most expensive).

From this, they appear to be over-priced for the performance level they provide.

I bought a Duralast(red top) from AZ on CR's recommendation and it works great, even in the cold winters we get here.

Good "zap for the buck"
smile.gif

I've never had a problem with either Interstate or DieHard, which I've used exclusively for nearly 20 years, in many different sizes(groups) for many different vehicles.

The one from Walmart with a three year free replacement, it's called the "EVERSTART MAXX." About $65 w/exchange.

Quote:

To update the CR testing, latest is from Oct-2006 in performance order for Group 35.
NAPA Legend 7535 $60 64/100
Duralast 35-DL $60 63/100
DieHard Gold 33035 (North) $90 56/100
Autocraft Silver 35-1 $50 55/100
Interstate Mega-Tron Plus MTP-35 $80 49/100
DieHard WeatherHandler 30035 (North) $60 42/100
DieHard WeatherHandler 303035 (South) $60 37/100
Interstate Mega-Tron MT-35 $70 37/100

Can anyone tell me what this is based upon. What are the tests that Consumer Reports do to determine this order?

CR bases their ratings on the following:
Life test
Reserve capacity
CCA performance
Claimed CCA
Warranty months

Guide to the Ratings
Under brand & model, we note models sold in the North or South; others are sold nationally. Overall score combines life-test performance, reserve capacity, and cold-cranking-amp (CCA) performance in our tests; scores are relative to others in each group size. Life test measures how a battery endures repeated charge-and-discharge cycles at hot-climate engine-compartment temperatures. The more cycles endured, the higher the score. Reserve capacity is an estimate of how long batteries can run a car if the charging system fails. CCA performance reflects voltage at our load of half the average claimed CCA for each group size after cranking for 15 seconds at 0° F. We charged batteries at the 14.5 volts vehicles typically supply, rather than the higher voltage that manufacturers use. Batteries charged at the lower voltage met BCI voltage standards for a fully-charged battery. Claimed CCA is the amount claimed on the battery. Warranty reflects the free-replacement and total, prorated periods in months. Price is approximate retail.

Sometimes it is not possible, but you should pay for CR membership, it is only 25 / year for online access.

I have a 5 yr old ACdelco that still starts in subzero temps.

The duralast batteries at autozone look to be impressive, check them out.

I actually like the japanese made Panasonic batteries that come OE in most japanese cars. Subaru even gives them an 84 month warranty.

All lead acid batteries decline in capacity whether used or not. I always buy a battery from a place that moves alot of batteries so you get a "fresh one". Interstate always received a very good rating until recently so I wonder if CU picked up old stock.

Well, with all things taken into account. I think I have narrowed it down to 3 batteries. Warranty, Price, and Performance were all deciding factors in choosing these. Please help me decide. If you have had a good or bad experience with any of them...it would be good to know. I won't be buying it for another week or two. These are not in order of preference, just listed.

1. Wal-Mart's Everstartt Maxx
2. AutoZone's Duralast Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back