Napa guy claims Gold Oil Filters . . .?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My local Napa parts guy claims that Napa Gold Oil filters will out filter the competition. I mentioned PureONE and Mobil ! and he said consumer reports blah blah . . . etc. I thought the Wix filter were higher flow than a PureONE?

Anyhow I've been exclusively using Toyota OEM filters and Purolator for the last 4 years or so. What happened to Napa Silver? Any clarity on what is which would be helpful.

I'm currently using a Puralotor Premium on my Civic during the final phases of an extended Auto-RX wash cycle. Since my local NAPA has 40% off all gold filter I'd figure I use a Napa Gold Instead. If the Napa Gold filters are on par or better than PureOne maybe a Proselect?

If *I* could get NAPA Gold filters at 40% off, I'd be stocking up...

For me, that would put a NAPA Gold at $4.25 each for the trucks, and $3.59 for the car.

The ProSelect is a good quality filter, built to NAPA's specifications by Wix. However, when compared to the Gold filter, the ProSelect has a cheaper black nitrile anti drain back valve (Gold ADBV is silicone) and standard filter media (Gold media is glass enhanced).

However, the ProSelect is a good buy for around the same price (or less) than a SuperTech at Wal-Mart. My mechanic uses NAPA ProSelects in his shop. The ProSelect is a good choice for a 3,000-5,000 mile OCI. Any more miles than that, and the Gold filter should be used.

However, I wouldn't consider a ProSelect when Golds are 40% off.

NAPA golds are not on par or better than the Pureone. NAPA golds are basically well built OEM's as far as efficiency, but they have a Si ADBV and higher capacity. The proselect is OEM in efficiency but holds less crud, compared to the gold, and has a nitrile ADBV.

dom,

Yea everything is a trade off. I like the PureONE for filtration also in a cleaner engine, I might forgo the micron rating and go for flow in a not-so-clean larger engine. OCI's, oil weight, operating conditions, all hang in the balance. WIX construction is very good.

Like Clint Eastwood said in Dirty Harry, " 'gotta know your limitations"

Quote:

NAPA golds are not on par or better than the Pureone. NAPA golds are basically well built OEM's as far as efficiency, but they have a Si ADBV and higher capacity. The proselect is OEM in efficiency but holds less crud, compared to the gold, and has a nitrile ADBV.

NAPA Gold - "OEM's as far as efficiency"
ProSelect - "OEM in efficiency"

So, what's the difference? I don't see any, from what you say... Are you stating the the glass enhanced media that is used in the Gold filter has no advantage?

???

Both NG/preselect are virtualy the same as far as efficiency. However, the NG has higer capacity and a longer lasting Si ADBV.

Quote:

Both NG/preselect are virtualy the same as far as efficiency. However, the NG has higer capacity and a longer lasting Si ADBV.

Care to share your source? I find it hard to believe that the glass enhanced media in the Gold performs "virtually the same" as in the $2.69 ProSelect filter.

I probably should have said at least for MY filter.

The NG uses the T-03 glass enhanced media which comes from the NAPA website. According to both napa and wix the filter (1040) is 95% at 31 um.

I emailed acdelco a while back, and I no longer have the email, the numbers were very close to what napa and wix stated for the napa gold. All I remember is the flow rate was half of the napa gold.

According to napa, the proselect used the t-83 cellulose media and meed OEM specs.

So if NG is virtually equal to acdelco (OEM)and the proselect meets OEM, which one is more efficient? If I still had acdelco numbers I would post them. You can email them for yourself and asked about filter PF47.

I couldnt beleive the "glass enhanced media in the Gold performs "virtually the same" as in the $2.69 ProSelect filter." either, but according to the data napa, wix, and acdelco provide the differences appear to be capacity, oil flow, and the adbv.

So there is a bit of difference between the all the filters, capacity, longevity, construction, but in the end they filter at virtually the same level as each other.

To the best of my knowledge there are hundreds of types of medias available, just because one says glass enhanced does not automatically make it the best.

Supposedly, cellulose filters only use the surface for filtering and once the surface gets clogged the filter is done. Due to the characteristics of some glass enhanced medias they allow for the entire depth of the media to effectively be used for filtration which allows for a greater capacity while having about the same efficiency as its cellulose counterpart.

I'm using the Puralotor Premium Plus filters as well. After the recent rash of $.01 after rebate that Pep Boys had, I'll be running these for a while.
ooo.gif

Thanks for the input. Just dropped by one of my local Napas and it's 70% not just 40% off all Gold filters for the whole month.
cheers.gif
fruit.gif
Spent close to $100 today for my fleet of vehicles. Air & Oil. Might go back for more before the month is over? Looks like I will be running Napa Gold for the next 2+ years.
laugh.gif

getdown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back