Toyota 3B oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I posted this question earlier but I'm thinking I posted in the wrong area.

I have a 1985 FJ60 with a 3B in it with 70K miles. In the next 6-9 months I am planning on adding a turbo.

What type of oil would be best to be running in it, and will that change when I add the turbo?
The extra cost of synthetic isn't really a concern.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

If cost is not a concern then run the syns. Amsoil,redline,PP,synpower. Pick one.

This is a diesel?...you'd better talk to Pablo...he's in WA...don't quote me on this but I think he gives Washingtonians a break...
canada.gif
...it's good to have Canucks here!...

Sike just kidding...welcome to the site...tell me more about this 3B engine...???
cheers.gif

Quote:

This is a diesel?...tell me more about this 3B engine...???

The PO of my FJ60 bought the engine in Canada
canada.gif
, it is an engine that Toyota put many of their land cruisers outside of the states. They tend to be a little underpowered ....hence to up coming turbo addition.

Thanks for the advice...I will be ordering some soon...

Tim

Quote:

I have a 1985 FJ60 with a 3B in it with 70K miles. In the next 6-9 months I am planning on adding a turbo.

Wouldn't that be a BJ60 then ?

I had a 1987 BJ42 with the 3B. I understand entirely why you want a turbo (guys down here are getting Japanese Imported 13B(T?) engines rather than modding the 3B.

Used to run straight 30 (delvac 1330). Big sump, sooty diesel, and 5,000km OCI I couldn't justify synthetics.

Remember that a turbo on a diesel such as this won't run anywhere near as hot as a modern TD, or petrol.

If you want synth, I think Pablo's straight 30 10W-30 is the way to go.

With or with out a Turbo that engine is going to like a 5W40 like Rotella-T Synthetic wich is widely available at Walmart. It would also like a 15W40 like Delo 400,Delvac or Rotella all three available at Walmart.

The diesel ought to produce less soot with the turbo added, so if temperature is controlled, engine oil life could increase.

anyway, I use Rotella 5w40 synthetic oil in anything that requires great protection, and Xw40 viscosity. If you engine takes Xw30, I'm not sure what to use for a diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back