New wires to increase mpg?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say fact as the electrical demands on the alternator are lowered due to the increased efficiency of delivering the spark, but, I don't know about a 15% increase in mpg though.

At least in my case, I don't have this problem as I have coil over plug ignition (but then I can't tinker with wires anymore either.
frown.gif
! ).

Anyway, what could it hurt? A tune up is one sure way to make sure that the fuel is burning the most efficient and easiest way possible.

You won't notice a difference unless your existing wires are shot. The resistance of the gap is far higher than the resistance of any plug wires that are in decent condition.

Ways to actually save gas:
Slow down.
Drive smoothly.
Keep tires inflated properly, or even slightly above manufacturer's recommendations.
Drive a vehicle that uses less gas.
grin.gif

the coil discharges enough voltage to overcome all of the resistance the system is designed to have and then some. it only discharges enough voltage to overcome that resistance, i.e. if the system needs 20,000 volts the coil will only discharge 20k volts, even if it can deliver 60k volts.

at those voltages the amperage required is minimal, and so is power consumption.

An increase in mpg will only happen if the wires on the engine are "bad". Do you need a complete tuneup? air filter not too old? proper air pressure in the tires? brakes not dragging? engine oil not too dirty ,how about the drive line oils?

I would say new wires could provide a non noticeable increase in MPG that would be more than masked by driving conditions, wind, temp, etc. If your current wires are old or cracked then replace them, otherwise spend your time and money elsewhere.

Unless you were using coat-hangers for spark plug wires, a 15% improvement is absurd to consider.

I agree with the others. If your car is running fine you won't (or shouldn't) notice any gain in mpg. A new set of wires can only restore lost spark from an old set that wasn't working right. Misfire from poor ignition wires is the only reason one should replace the wires.

Once a spark ignites a mixture in a cylinder, the job is done. There's nothing you can do to a spark to make it ignite any differently for better gas mileage.

If you reread the claims, it says that it can increase mileage "UP TO" 15%. If you get a fraction of one percent increase, then their claim is valid.

IMO, if you have no major problems (missing, etc) resistance, no cracks or damage. Can't see why change them. Just a marketing gimmick I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back