Oil recommendations for 1987 Buick Grand National

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL. I did that from memory. I was right about the higher price tag. LOL

cheers.gif

Sounds good ToyotaNSaturn. Here's some more, 16" wheels, tires 245/50s in the front, 255/50s in back. Stewart Warner gauges in place of the regular GM speedo etc., Rear ladder bar and panhard rod in place of the upper control arms to control rear axle twist. Changes to the transmission valve body.

A slightly bigger garret turbo with the significant change being the ceramic impeller and an additional 2 PSI boost(16 PSI max.), a garrett intercooler that looks virtually identical to the regular GN/Turbo Regal but has a slightly higher fin count per inch. Fender flares and venting ports as was pointed out. Price was almost exactly $10,000 more(MSRP) than a regular GN. The long block was exactly the same as a GN/turbo Regal.

I never knew that the GNX was underrated in the HP. Amazing just HOW fast in the 1/4 that beauty truly was. From the factory 4.7 0-60 was quite a feat 2 decades ago.

Yoo hoo! I know the guy who owns the prototype GSX and the prototype GNX. Actually they were called "show cars" to do the car show tours, and share the exact same drive train as the GS and GN respectively. Cool cars, I have seen many times. Think 80 grand is high? Try buying one of these cars. Oh, and the ain't for sale at any price I was told. I would hope to ---- that if you really wanted to know the deal on rare Buicks like this you will go to the Buick forum link I posted before.

And add about $10,000 on top of that MSRP that people paid to even buy one. I am surprised no one has named the company that did the mods to these cars (GNX's)...
wink.gif

Quote:

Get a oil analysis of whatever oil you have in the engine and work from that. I like Rotella T 10w30 CJ4 as a good starting oil for this design. Conventional price, hard to find, but near synthetic performance.

TD

that says it all! Terry doesn't shoot in the dark. I'd at least start with the oil he suggested and get an analyis performed (after the second OCI, IMO).

Quote:

Quote:

For $80K.......just buy a new Z06 Vette

I wouldn't pay $80k for anything G.M. The heart break of America. Their advertising slogan says it all.

I wouldnt pay $80K for any car period. If somebody gave me the 80K on a stipulation that I had to purchase a new car with it i would surely buy a new Z06. It is clearly the fastest american production car on the market today. I am a GM man always have been always will be.
wink.gif

Quote:

I never knew that the GNX was underrated in the HP. Amazing just HOW fast in the 1/4 that beauty truly was. From the factory 4.7 0-60 was quite a feat 2 decades ago.

Buick rated the GNX at 275hp. The GNX really put out about 300hp, give or take. Depending on who you talk to, some say it put out more, but 300's a good number to go by. Considering the Vette put out only 240hp, the GN and GNX flat out made incredible power from a V6 in 1987. The only Vette that could touch a GN or GNX was a Callaway. Mustangs and Camaros didn't even have a chance against a GN, let alone a GNX, but even back when these cars were new, you didn't see GNXs cruising the streets. They were and always will be collector cars.

Quote:

Quote:

Get a oil analysis of whatever oil you have in the engine and work from that. I like Rotella T 10w30 CJ4 as a good starting oil for this design. Conventional price, hard to find, but near synthetic performance.

TD

that says it all! Terry doesn't shoot in the dark. I'd at least start with the oil he suggested and get an analyis performed (after the second OCI, IMO).

I'd never run a non-synthetic in a turbo engine, especially one that is worth some money. When you are dealing with valuable cars like a GN or GNX, the extra cost of a higher quality synthetic oil is negligible when you look at the big picture. If you have to count your pennies when doing maintenance on vehicle, you can't afford to own that vehicle
twocents.gif

Quote:

I'd take a Viper
wink.gif

I second that. The Z06 is awesome and I'd normally take one in a heartbeat, but the latest Viper and its 600hp make this an easy decision. Viper all the way...........until Chevy one ups Dodge. This "horsepower war" is almost out of control, but it's awesome to be able to experience our own "muscle car" era like our father's did back in the 60s-early 70s. And our cars are faster than theirs were.
grin.gif

Quote:

Does anyone know the the differences (Specs) between the regular GN and the GNX?

There's many differences. They're all relatively minor per se, but add up in a big way. What made the GNX a GNX are the following improved items: turbo, intercooler, inlet pipe, ECM calibration, O2 sensor and exhaust system, external trans cooler and "shift kit", strengthened/redesigned rear suspension, round gauges, Vette sized tires and wheels, flared fenders and fender vents and obviously all the GNX badging and associated decals throughout the car. As you can tell, it's not very hard to physically clone a GNX, so buyer beware if you are looking at one because the odds are in favor of it being a fake. Documentation is key when dealing with GNXs. If it doesn't have papers, walk away.

I've seen many aGrand National (back in the late'80s, early 90s), blow off many cars held in high esteem. New Vett's, 5.0 Stang's, 60s muscle cars etc.

Buick also sold a non GN version called the SFI Turbo Regal. CT State Police drove these as unmarked cars for a while before moving to Mazda MX6 GT

Buicks had fairly weak oiling systems relative to other GM designs. They relied on high volume/low pressure. High viscosity oils seemed to work better. The specialty turbo v-6 websites should confirm (or clarify) this assumption. The 3.8 went to a high(er) pressure oiling system somewhere in the mid/late '80s. It may have coincided with the roller cam change.

I would think Shell Rotella Synthetic (blue bottle) would be a great option. It is designed for turbo diesel as well as gasoline applications. You need the oil to resist burnoff at the turbo bearing and to deal with the high bearing loading.

Quote:

I've seen many aGrand National (back in the late'80s, early 90s), blow off many cars held in high esteem. New Vett's, 5.0 Stang's, 60s muscle cars etc.

I remember when the ZR1 came out in 90. Even it had a tough time with a GN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back