Groan from steering (left turn only)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, all,

My new (to me) '03 Buick PA gives a mild groan when I'm turning left. Only left, not right, and not loudly, only audible when the windows are down. If it were a loose belt or low fluid, the steering would make noise in either direction, right? (And in any case GM has tucked this car's steering reservoir away with such delicate modesty that I can't find it to check the fluid!)

Is my memory right -- is this likely to be something up with the steering components on that side -- or could it be a belt/low fluid?

The power steering pump is all the way in the back down low. I use a turkey baster to suck the reservoir out and then use a funnel with the long clear plastic hose the refill it.

It's that little black cap with the orange letters down below the heater hoses.

DSCN0433.jpg

If you look straight up from the oil filter, you'll see the power steering pump pulley with the reservoir right above it.

GM3800L26.jpg

Oh, it's on the *passenger* side? Who'da thunk? I'll have a look later. My Topsider should work fine for sucking out the old fluid; I did that on my Benz not long ago, three or four times, to get the old stuff out.

Yeah, everything is on the passenger side. The transmission is on the driver's side. My power steering fluid was pretty dirty after being in there for seven years.
shocked.gif

Good luck. I think you have more going on here than low fluid level. Ck for TSB's.

Found it! Mine has a steering wheel painted on it in white. If my hand and wrist were any bigger, I'd never have gotten down between the shock tower and the A/C component just in front of it.

The dipstick came up bone dry. Now to find a funnel and hose to top it off. Anybody know how much the system holds? (It's not in the owner's manual.) And will generic P/S fluid such as the STP brand be okay?

It should take less than a quart. No special fluid required; just as long as it says "Power Steering Fluid." Don't fill it all the way to the top; if you do, you'll have to suck some out. Those funnels with the hoses attached are at AutoZone, and some of your other more popular stores.

Zipper,

No, I hear it when the car is stationary and I'm working the wheel as I prepare to get out of a parking space. Now, it could be audible on a right turn, but that window is quite a ways from my ears when I'm driving. I'll get somebody to turn the wheel while I listen on the passenger side.

If it's not pouring rain tonight, I'll hit AZ or Advance Auto and top it off ASAP. Then we'll see.

Admiral-

I'd call my salesman at Crown, and have them take care of this. For a Buick dealer to drop the ball on something like this is inexcusable. I'd ask them if it is customary for them to do a complete inspection on their used cars... and if so, how was this completely missed...?

You should have them inspect to see if there's a leak in the system somewhere, and then fill it themselves. Something like this just shouldn't go completely dry.

And yes, that PS reservoir is a pain to get to... I'd use a transmission funnel to fill it. However, I think this needs to be addressed by Crown.

Let them have it for the day, and ask for a Lucerne V8 loaner...
laugh.gif

The groan sound is caused by air in the hydraulic system; as soon as you get some fluid in there to displace the air, all should be fine.

Quote:

Admiral-

I'd call my salesman at Crown, and have them take care of this. For a Buick dealer to drop the ball on something like this is inexcusable. I'd ask them if it is customary for them to do a complete inspection on their used cars... and if so, how was this completely missed...?

You should have them inspect to see if there's a leak in the system somewhere, and then fill it themselves. Something like this just shouldn't go completely dry.

And yes, that PS reservoir is a pain to get to... I'd use a transmission funnel to fill it. However, I think this needs to be addressed by Crown.

Let them have it for the day, and ask for a Lucerne V8 loaner...
laugh.gif

Mrsilv04,

I'd agree, except that Crown is a pain to get to as well! And this week is a tough one at work; I need to be here 8:30 - 5:00. Next week may be better.

I'll fill it, and check it a couple of times in the next week. If the sound doesn't vanish or the fluid gets low again, believe me, back I'll go. If it seems fine, I'll ask my regular guy to check it thoroughly next week, and if he finds a problem, back I'll go.

I agree, they should have checked it; even though the owner's manual doesn't even mention it (which would explain the previous owner not keeping up with it), the dealer should be using a reference which is a little more comprehensive.

I picked up a transmission funnel and some PS fluid from O'Reilly's. Two-three ounces of fluid (and some very hot skin from those close quarters in there) later, the steering is quiet. Thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back