Which synthetic oil for a 1999 Range Rover HSE

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought this car used, so I'm looking for recommendations. It has about 80k on it.

driving.gif

Nice ride! Good luck with her.
The ancient design GM alloy V-8 will be working rather hard to push this heavy beast around, so I'd go with a pretty robust oil.
Either GC or RTS 5W-40 should stand up well in this application.

I have an '02 LR Discovery, and have tried several oils in mine, all with UOA. Redline 5w40 didn't work well, GC was even worse, Rotella 15w40 was just okay. Best by far UOA was with Lubro Moly 0w40HD. This oil is impossible for me to buy local, but is worth it to order off the Internet. Give it a try, your engine wouldn't be sorry. Chris

I'd use Rotella T 5w40, and change it out every 4-5k miles. I wouldn't go longer than 5k with your engine, under any circumstances. From what I have observed here on BITOG, the RR engines do NOT like long OCI's, but will last just about forever if the oil is changed regularly.

Good luck with your RR. I almost purchased a used '97 back in '01. Went with a Ford Expedition at my wife's request. She didn't like the RR. It was black, and she just didn't like the color scheme.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

What about this European 5W-40 stuff Amsoil sells?

Nope I would NOT use a low SAPS oil like AFL in that rig. AND a 10K run would not be impossible for the oils I already suggested.

What is SAPS ?

Low sulphated ash, phosphorus and sulphur. New generation oils to protect emissions gear and the environment. Similar to the API SM evolution, but more worldwide and diesels included. Not the best selection for old gen engines.

I had a 1991 (got it at 63K miles) with one of those aluminum Buick designed engines. It now is with a friend at about 189K miles.

Mine ran dirty so I used Wix 51459 which is x2 the stock filter and changed at 3.5K OCI using 20W50 GTX. I would not plan on extended drains until you get a handle on the situation.

Oh yea, drain the tranny fuild every x2-3 oil changes for rest of it's life, forget about filter > The 1991 never had tranny go bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back