IXL Anti-Friction Metal Conditioner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at a Flea Market recently (Huge Red Flag For Me) and came across this guy with a Ford Six Cylinder engine on a stand, running, without an oil pan in place and the valve cover removed.

When he saw me looking for some sort of electric motor that might be driving this thing, he came over and revved the engine a few times for me.

No audible engine knocks?!?

He claimed that the oil had been treated with a Product called IXL Anti-Friction Metal Conditioner.

I did a google search and all I found was the advertising literature he had along with the productfor sale.

I figured before I dropped a thirty dollar bill on something that may or may not work into my engines crankcase I'd do a little sniffing around.

Anyone know about or ever hear of this stuff?

popcorn.gif

LINK: http://www.lubricationproducts.com/ixl.htm

If not chlorinated parrafin

Most likely a highly friction modified additive, since it is compatible in transmissions.
Would also guess alot of extreme pressure agents in there, too.

Know nothing about this product but another similar product (Energy Release) with the same claims and marketing tactics was tested by dynotech research. There WAS effect, but not a desirable one. As the hours on the dyno accumulated the engine made less power, compression and ring seal was reduced. The result was evident by streaking from blow-by below the ring land. Same motor was put back together deglazed with a light hone and run on regular oil, compression and hp was restored and maintained with no degradion.

Read the MSDS first, they don't post them but they say their available. The only Anti-Friction metal conditioner I need is a good synthetic oil, and for "$34.63" I can get a whole lot of it.

It's one thing to run a engine, such as this one, on a test stand, it's another thing to run it under a load.

Quote:

Pretty much any "Metal Conditioner" is a chlorinated compound of some sort.

100% correct, seems to be a theme that pops up every few years and is always a "Metal Conditioner" and treats the oil and not an additve and "100% petroluem based"
bruce

Yeah, I bought some of that Energy Release c r a p back in 2000 and put a few oz in my rear end because it was howling. Well eventually the pinion got so loose it was ready to fall out. ER didn't help, but maybe contributed to the failure, though it was likely going anyway. Their salesmen really sound convincing. From not on I just buy motor oil and zddp additives. No fancy stuff with fancy claims.

No car company suggests any additive in the oil. If you want better additives in the oil, just buy better oil, such as synthetic oil like Amsoil or M1, etc.

One of the applications is for a radiator. Isn't that unusual or do all products like this (chlorinated something) mix with oil and water?

Is there any evidence that so called metal conditioners really do attach themselves to the metal?

There is NO need for a chlorinated EP additive in the radiator and any company telling you there is very shady IMHO.

Friction reducing chemistry-oil stabilizers-metal conditioners all work on a simple princple they "paint" the metal. Sealing in all the dirt & contaminants that caused the problem in the first place. Initally some even work for a while than the dedigration of the "additives" in the latest wonder product starts to break down causing you to spend big bucks.The people who blend up these products are betting you will never connect your "new" mechanical issues
with the "wonder product" you put in your engine. That oil your so proud of is lubricating a chemical coating not your parts in your engine

Last edited:
This is what Cermax and most other additives are all about. They claim to coat parts in a running engine. This process has got to lead to more reactive particles and corrosion. It’s difficult to believe that people still believe in the magic bullet, but they do. As you may have read I created Oilmax from engine oil and pink dye and we gave it to 10 good candidates to test. It improved their mileage. After they were told what the test really was they were surprised at the results. They proved the idea that people want a magic bullet and later confirmed it when they wanted to buy some for their personal vehicles, even after being told it was a placebo. I have received requests from others when they heard that an additive test had been done and it improved fuel mileage. The fact that there was any interest in Cermax and that the thread has grown is proof that there is interest in the magic bullet, even on BITOG, the home of Amsoil, Schaeffer’s, Castrol and common sense and moderation in all things lubrication.

I figured this stuff must be some kind of snake oil since I'd never seen or heard of it before, coupled with the fact this all took place in a flea market.

Seems I made the right decision in walking away.

Thanks for all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back