When to change furnace filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an odd topic, but i didn't kow where to post it....
How often should one, repalce thier furnace filter? We seem to have a new one put on every 2 years ide say. Last time was back in january, oil puddle formed under the furnace fitler housing. Can they be purchased online? We do have a plan, where the Oil company services it, but tis something ide like to try n do myself, catch it early:)
Any ideas?
cheers.gif

I do mine myself. I buy it from a local wholesaler for about $4. Look for a local heating/cooling wholesale company, or call your oil company to see who they buy from.

Very common for these to leak. The oil guy always leaves some newspapers under it after servicing. Seen this at others' homes too. Very old "technology", probably from the "50s. Tank would have to be emptied for an up-grade and simply not worth it?? Would be uncomfortable with a DIY here as if there was a cataclysmic leak, you'd be hard-pressed to rid yourself of the smell!!

I change my furnace filter every 3 months! To remember when to do it, I change it when the seasons change. I find those cheap filters plug up very fast, only 3-4 weeks, so I use the premium ones.

For most people that is about 3 months of continuous use (a years worth of use). Naturally, it depends on the amount of fuel you're processing annually. I run about 1000 gallons a season. Once a year works.

Now on my garage apartment hot air unit, it gets an air filter once a season (slightly less than 3 months).

Those who want something different, you can get a Permacool mount (single or dual) and fit it with NAPA 3281 filters. They're allegedly 10um and 3/4-16 thread.

I moved the filter inside to help fuel flow in cold temps. I have a 1/2 gallon milk jug with a side cut out of it wired underneath it to catch drips. I change the filter at least once a yr. More, if I get a bad load of oil as I did a few yrs ago. It seems to me, that I was getting better oil when it cost 30cents a gallon than at 2.30 $

I change our filter about once a month. We use the filters from Lowes in a 3 pack for 8 bucks. They seem to be a good filter for the money.

Seems there are two(2) totally different threads running together here with some refering to OIL FIRED furnace oil filters, and others posting about their return air AIR filter!

Bob

ive never liked those old tech filters. being a southern boy i dont have an oil fired furnace. i think ive only used my electric central heater twice in the last 15 years. however ive been up north more than a few times and seen some of the setups.
it seems to me that gary allan has a great idea of using a spin on filter. but take a lok at the vw fuel filters from a 80's rabbit. they are remote mount spin on, have a water trap built in, and a knurled knob on the bottom so that you can losen a plug and drain any water out without removing the filter. its a pretty sweet setup and they are cheap to buy. if they are good enough for a automotive fuel system they are good enough for some old furnace.

Wix sells a setup for fuel with the type of filters you're talking about. I had a 1979 Rabbit Diesel. Gosh I'd love to have that thing now.

4751_1.gif

3920_1.gif

The 24309 is a 1-12 thread mount ..but, as you'll note, has a larger gasket area than the typical hydraulic mount that shared the same thread ..but a smaller gasket ...naturally.
6852_1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back