Tire Pressure for Avon M550

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would be a suitable pressure:
225/50ZR17
Avon M550

I usually run at 35psi, max pressure is 51psi. This is on a 2002 Nissan Maxima.

Look for the vehicle placard. On it it will tell you the original tire size and the proper pressure for that size.

If a 225/50R17 wasn't the origianl size and it was a P215/55R17, then use the same pressure as on the placard as the load indices are same. However if your Maxima came with 16" tires, then use 2 more psi than listed.

Vehicle placards are usually located on a doorpost or in the glove box.

Vehicle placard lists pressure for comfort, not longevity of the tire. I'm wondering what most folks run on these tires.

So far I like them, though they did get loud after 10k miles. I think this is mainly why they are not as highly rated on Tirerack.com anymore. They are a huge step up from the OEM Potenzas which would hydroplane on a drop of water.

With 25k miles on them now, they are still loud and there is a noticeable vibration. Taking them in on Wednesday to see if I lost a wheel weight or something.

I drove a set of P275/40R17s on my Camaro for 25,000 miles and they were down to 6/32". They wore smooth, and were very grippy even in snow (shockingly so). Im putting a set of P205/55R16s on my Subaru when my current OE tires wear out
smile.gif

As for pressure I recommend 34-36. They're stiff enough that this is all they need. They have a 3-ply sidewall, super tough tires.

Optimum tire pressure varies a lot depending on vehicle, tire, and most importantly driving style. The only reliable way I've found to set optimum pressure is the old racer's trick - chalk the sidewall of the tire (especially the outermost edge of the tread) and go drive the car. Then look to see how far the sidewalls are rolling over when cornering.

You are usually looking for the wear to be approximately half way up the outermost tread blocks. If it is rolling over more than that, add pressure. If it's rolling over less than that, take some out.

This will easily let you see where your pressures should be, both front and back, for your own driving style.

Another option is to fill the tires to a known maximum "50psi" where you know it's too high. Run it through water and measure the contact patch width.

Drop the pressure and do successive runs through the water, measuring the water on the pavement the tire leaves, and checking the tire to see its made full contact. Once you get full width contact its best to go 1-2psi below that for the cold pressure.

Most people will agree though that slightly high pressure is better than slightly low, especially if you drive up elevation or drive quicker than the speed limit normally
smile.gif

Tire rack has a very good article on pressure you should read.

Took my car in today due to a vibration I was getting even after rotation. The shop found that all my weights on the front wheels were gone.
frown.gif

They also noticed that the tires were ready to be replaced. I've rotated the tires religiously every 5k miles and I don't drive it hard or on a track. They have precisely 25k miles on them. My mechanic (good guys) thinks I can get at least 5k out of them before replacing. He says I've been running them over inflated.

I've been running these tires at 35psi (Nissan Maxima tire placcard says I should run them at 32psi). For the last 5k miles, I ran them at 33psi...trying to find the right balance of performance and MPG. I'm at a loss of how 3psi could make these tires wear out as "overinflated", other than they just aren't good tires. I've noticed they have fallen in acceptance from Tirerack.com's rating system (where once they were the #1 seller for my car). Oh well.

Quote:

I drove a set of P275/40R17s on my Camaro for 25,000 miles and they were down to 6/32". They wore smooth, and were very grippy even in snow (shockingly so). Im putting a set of P205/55R16s on my Subaru when my current OE tires wear out
smile.gif

I don't remember if I asked you this before, but anyway; how well did they grip in the mostly cold, DRY conditions we get here in the mid Atlantic-metro NYC winters???
In other words, as far as acceleration and cornering grip are concerned, on the street, in these conditions.

2002 Maxima SE: Your experience mirrored min with the 550s on my WRX. Noisy by 10K and toast by 25K.

The best tire I used was the Michelin Pilot Sport AS. They lasted an honest 40K and were quiet to the end. Best snow performance of the bunch too.

I wonder about the Tire Rack surveys. They list the Pirelli P Zero Nero M/S higher for wear than the Michelins. The Pirellis were shot at 20K, half of what the Pilots lasted. Must be all those reviews written with less than a 1000 miles on the tires.
dunno.gif

Sometimes the most expensive price equals the best value.

Ed

DD - I had no problems running the Avon M550s down to 40F weather, but I used snow tires below that temperature... I didn't have cornering issues in the cold weather either. Im going to put a set of 205/55R16s on my subaru when my bridgecraps wear out.

Thanks edhackett... Ive also been considering the pilots too
smile.gif
However they are 2x as much even if they last 2x as long.

I'm considering the Yokohama Avid V4S for my next set. We have some Yokohama Avid Touring for our 1993 Mercury Sable and they have been nothing short of excellent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back