PP 5W30...oil smells burnt

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm using 5W30 Pen. Platinum on my Lexus IS300 and noticed the oil smells a little burnt. The oil has about 2k miles on it and the weather has been extremely hot this summer. Would high weather temps cause the oil to "break" substantially? I don't remember having this problem with M1.

It would have to get pretty hot inside the engine for it to burn. Did you ever smell your last oil (M1) to see if that smelled also or did you just "notice" it this time ??

I just went out and smelled my PP in my truck and it has a faint smell to it, but it seems normal...

Does the smell come from the engine compartment or can you still smell it when you take an oil sample away from the car into the open? Like RI_RS4 suggests get a uoa and also look very carefully around the engine and under the car. You may have a problem in there somewhere. Maybe you just spilled some oil doing an oil change but as RI_RS4 suggests, check it out.

LOL! Oil smelled burnt? How can you tell if your oil is really "burnt"? When in doubt, get Terry involved by submitting an oil sample to his lab for testing...

some oils just smell burnt or sweet or aromatic thats the way they are, Example just loaded a tank truck that the previous was some SOPUS oil and as truck was pumped full the air in the tanker is allowed to vent to atmosphere to make room as new oil is pumped in anyway the shell stuff smelled very burnt or used but was new so they all have some smell.

bruce

Has the engine itself been operating within its normal temperature range? I'd say a coolant temperature of 230F would be the absolute maximum for a short period of time, with 200F and under being closer to ideal. In any event, if the oil on the dipstick smelled burnt, I'd be draining it out and looking for a different oil for that particular engine.

Last edited:
Quote:

some oils just smell burnt or sweet or aromatic thats the way they are, Example just loaded a tank truck that the previous was some SOPUS oil and as truck was pumped full the air in the tanker is allowed to vent to atmosphere to make room as new oil is pumped in anyway the shell stuff smelled very burnt or used but was new so they all have some smell.

bruce

I know exactly what smell he's talking about, as I run PP in one of my cars. It DOES smell burnt! And like gas! And, my UOA's show ZERO fuel. And I run the PP 7500 with excellent results. But, you know what, my other car, which has the same engine, but, where I run different oils in it all the time, the oil smells mighty similar!

Like Bruce said, this is the way it is. Don't worry about it. If you're concerned, pull a sample and send it off for analyis...in the meantime, take a deep breath (preferably NOT of burnt-smelling PP) and relax. B~)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back