Think I made a mistake - Please confirm, ok?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm pretty sure I goofed, and I don't know where my head was at, so because I'm pretty sure I goofed, this topic is in the correct place. Here's the goof:

I went to Seafoam my Ford today (3.0 Vulcan engine) and for want of an accessable vacuum line, I decided to use the pcv valve. So I pulled it out, and poured about 1/3 of the can of seafoam in to the opening, and not into the pcv valve. I put it in the wrong place, right
confused.gif
? So, if I'm correct, it's in my oil which I know isn't a bad thing, but I guess I'd better do a change soon, right?

Didn't I?

What's it say on the can? I don't think it will hurt if it went in the oil. Probably burn off on a good hot run. Might help do some crankcase cleaning.

When I water injected my 3.0 Vulcan, I got it good and hot, then took the intake duct off and poured water in slowly while revving the engine. Worked great.

Vulcan 3.0 is a GREAT engine. Just a tad low in power, but bulletproof.

Seafoam is one of those things you can put in the oil, gas, transmission, etc. My goal was to clean the upper engine (much as you did with the water). It's use is pretty common, I'm just wondering if I did indeed pour this in to my oil vs into the upper engine.

Quote:

Vulcan 3.0 is a GREAT engine. Just a tad low in power, but bulletproof.

Unless you have one that needed headgaskets @ 61k and 108k....
smirk.gif

Been there,done that..
shocked.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

I thought the 3.8 was the Ford V6 notorious for blown head gaskets. In fact my mother had a Cougar 3.8 that needed head gaskets at 100,000 miles.

Can't say I have heard of more than one 3.0 Vulcan that had a head gasket problem, and that may have been last year when you posted a similar response--or was it someone else? That would make it two.

Well, if the PCV valve is in the valve cover (which I think most are), and if you poured it into the hole in the valve cover, then it indeed did go into the oil.

I still don't think it will hurt anything. If you are far along in the OCI though, might as well change early for peace of mind, but I would think a little running with that stuff in there might do some cleaning. All depends on what is in it. But the quantity is relatively small, so doubt any major problem.

I think you intended for the Seafoam to be sucked through the PCV line to be administered into the combustion process, but now it's floating around in your oil and may be thinning it out too much. That stuff is a solvent; I'd want it out of my oil if it were me.

I wouldn't drive under load with that stuff in my oil. Careful with the answers around here. Some folks won't drive with one microliter of Amsoil flush in their oil, but don't have a problem with Seafoam in the oil. I would idle the car warm/hot and drain the oil. Think of it as a mini-flush. No harm done.

You do know your suppost to have the engine running if your gonna suck it thru a vacuum line right? I dont see how you can mess that up if the engine is running..especially a line running to the pcv valve...One side your gonna have a strong source of vacuum...and the other side your not gonna have anything...

Don't disconnect the pcv hose when the engine is running. Vacuum is how the pcv opens. If it can't open there will be too much pressure inside the crankcase and you could blow a seal.

Agreeing with Travis99LS1 and jorton - I can't even imagine sucking with a hose the size of the typical PVC. Maybe you shouldn't be messing with sucking liquids into your engine...just a thought. Or find the smallest vacuum line.....

Well i dont know about yours...but my pcv valve is pulled shut from vacuum..Either way, he's not gonna blow a seal from idling the engine while sucking seafoam thru the vacuum line..There's just not gonna be that much blow-by at idle to create any damaging pressure in the crankcase..

Here is what is says on the website:
Quote:

Use 1 pint of SEA FOAM to every 4 gallons of oil to clean rings and other engine parts internally. For best results, use SEA FOAM for 1 hour before oil change. Results in cleaner engines and longer oil change intervals.

I still don't think it will hurt your engine. I have 9 ounces of Neutra in my oil right now and am running it for hundreds of miles. Nevertheless, they don't say to leave Seafoam in for a long time,so might as well change it out and have peace of mind.

All I know is Seafoam is 50% Naptha solvent and IPA. Probably a tiny bit won't hurt for a short while of idling. Part of, or whole can and driving may not be the smartest and best thing for an engine.

Well they say it can go in the oil for an hour before changeout, so drive it for an hour, then change it out. Better safe than sorry. Pablo knows a whole lot more about oil than I do, so I defer to his judgement on this. Hopefully has done some cleaning for you.

Not sure why mods moved it to this forum. Question is about engine cleaner. Maybe better in Maintenance forum.

Thanks all. Got it figured out after that exchange. Used the pcv line to introduce the seafoam in to the engine. I had heard that it it was good for the top end, and things do seem to be running smoother since the treatment. I don't use flushes in the oil - I did a full AutoRx treatment about 1.5 years ago or so and since then I've added a small maintenance dose at each oil change so I feel good about what's going on inside the engine - just not about what's going on topside gunk and carbon wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back