Shock Absorbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Where to post this topic? Not all that critical I suppose. Shocks are near my tires so I chose this forum.

Herd, Coot seeks opinions. When to get shocks and recommendations. Here's the vitals:

2004 Silverado 4x4, automatic tranny, long-bed, 4.8 V8, regular cab. No off-roading. Tires are the standard recommended size. Local roads vary from semi-rough to smooth. Lots of asphalt and some concrete surfaced roads.

Snow and ice in winter with rain the rest of the year.

5,280 pound laden curb weight minus a 220 pound Coot. Golly, with Coot a curb weight of 5,500 pounds or 393 stone for you whacky Brits.

Seldom tote heavy loads or haul a triler. If it is done it is doubtful it would be an extrmely heavy load or trailer so looking at shocks for 5,500 pounds.

Do not want the type you can pump air into for various reasons.

Seeking a basic shock that does what a shock is supposed to do. Good damping, keeping the tire contact patch in contact with the pavement, providing an at least semi-comfortable ride, etc.

Would rather pay more for a shock that lasts awhile.

Currently, the present shocks are the originals from the factory and they feel as if they are still performing well. No evidence of leakage around the seals. The blue color tells me they are A/C Delco brand. I expect the OEM shocks are marginal in quality since the manufacturer wants cheap to mazimize income or to keep selling price competitive or both.

40,000 miles on those original shocks. Any guesses as to how long they may last? Suggestions as to reputable brands known for their quality encouraged.

Oh, local radio news just mentioned how a guy died doing what he loved? Really? So, the guy loved convulsing on the ground, gasping for breath as his life force departs? Teeth clenched in agony as death wrapped its steely icy arms around him and carried him into that long good night? Well, power to him. Hope he's happy.

Oh, don't want or need any of those expensive "fancy" shocks some folks use. As stated, no BIG tires or off-roading.

Okay folks. Coot's tender lithe nubile essence is within thine hands. Advice and suggestions and a few opinions will be considered while pondering this matter. This is your chance to be actively involved in a purchasing decision in Shantyville, either sooner or later but definitely eventually.

Okay, have at it!!!! Bombard Coot with thine input.

OEM shocks last from 30,000 to 100,000 miles without a problem. You don't need fancy shocks.

My #1 recommendation for you though is a set of Bilstein HD shocks in your application. They might run $350-400, but they're not only lifetime guaranteed, they will actually make that truck ride so much better laden and unladen.

All other shock brands are OE equivilent and will not "improve" the ride in any way unless your current ride is super bouncy from super dead shocks. Buyer beware in shockville.
smile.gif

KYB GR-2. I recently put these on my Ranger and they made a big difference. Got them shipped for ~$30 each for my app.

Really doubt you'll need to replace before 100,000mi, maybe not then. Personally, still a diehard Monroe fan. Sell em, and use em. 2or 3 grades for most applicatons. Lowest grade is equal to OE. others better.

Bob

on my '04 F-150 the oem shocks were junk from the factory, at 30k they were really mushy. the truck would bounce badly on speed bumps, railroad crossings, etc.
Bilsteins made a 100% difference. it rides better and handles much better. they are not stiff at all.

you can find them online for reasonable prices, I paid about $70 per shock.

I put Edelbrock IAS shocks in my 98 Yukon 80,000 miles ago. They still work nice. I think I paid about 50 bucks apiece at Summit. Truck originally came with Bilstiens. I think the Edelbrocks feel better.

Note: OE Bilsteins are not the same as the Bilstein HD that is aftermrket. The difference is that OE Bilsteins are spec'd to be valved by the car company, whereas the HD is designed and valved by Bilstein themselves. The HDs dampen better and have a stiffer more controlled ride in all circumstances. Im sure the Edelbrock IAS shocks are fine too, if not a little less expensive, but I don't know if they're warranted for life.

My GMC shocks were useless too.
I put Bilsteins on my 95 GMC at about 3,000 miles. Now at about 118,000 miles they are still a lot better than the factory shocks ever were.

Opbop, my preference for a premium shock aside, if you don't notice any weaknesses or problems in your shocks leave them along and keep the money for winter heat or whatever other frivolity you want to spend it on.
cheers.gif

No need to fix things that work unless you're doing it for fun or educational purposes.

You will normally notice worn out shocks when driving on undulating roads with the spacing so it coincides with the natural frequency of your suspension, about 90 humps/minute in your empty except for Coot truck I would guess. About 60 in normal passenger car.

Multiple rebound over single bump are another clue, or a general wallowy feeling on undulating roads. Strange cupping on tires can be an indication of another shock problem.

Most of the advice you have gotten is pretty good if you are going to buy new shocks, the real question is do you need the? I doubt it if you don't feel a need from the way the truck drives.

Not real confident with OEM components since the counters of beans try to minimize costs as much as possible.

One example being ht Wrangler ST OEM tires that were the absolute worstest tires I have ever come across.

Hit the 40K mile mark and even though I have seen no leakage and the ride still feels good thought that this condition may not last much longer so utilized the "seven P's" method: Prior Proper Planning Prevents ---- Poor Performance. Positively, pardner'!!!

But, after perusing the posts it appears it may be possible the shocks may last longer than I thought.

All input appreciated. So many brand names tossed at me I feel like the lone mallard floating on the lake at the duck hunting club.

No fancy shocks but durable: KYB GR2. They are slightly stiffer than OEM but is in very good quality. They also have lifetime warranty.

But, how many people can wait for a replacement shocks and leave the car on jack stands for days?

I installed the KYB shocks on my 2000 silverado a few months ago and it rides better than my old ones. I had one of the oe shocks to go out at 49000 so I replaced all with the KYB and I won't look back.

Do NOT assume OEM shocks will last a certain time. Do not be fooled that your shocks are still OK because the ride "feels" comfortable enough for a truck.
I replaced the stock shocks on my 2003 Duramax CC at 5K miles and two of the four were completely shot.
I used Bilstein replacements for less than $250 and they are lifetime guarantee. I could feel the difference as I backed out of the garage.
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.
Good luck.

I recently installed KYB GR-2's (well, on a little Hyundai). They work well, look well-made and respond to adversity nicely.

Step up from the KYB GR-2's and get the KYB Monomax shocks, usually about $10-15 more than the GR-2's but better for a truck in my opinion.

Shock life, as noted, can vary widely. Unless you are noticing issues, I wouldn't bother with replacements. The shocks on bth my F150's made it to over 100,000 miles, but were definitely shot when replaced. The shocks on the Cherokee failed, but I can't blame them after 17+ years.

My replacement shoock of late has been the Monroe Reflex / Rancho RSX shock. Used them on my last two F150's and the Cherokee. Note that I like a firm, performance oriented ride, so these may not be for you. I've also had good luck with the sensa-trac's in the past. Not to hard on the wallet and decent performance. Watch for the buy three get one free deals, ususally twice a year.

Stockers on my Corolla lasted 170,000 miles. Blew one and replaced only the front two. Personally, I plan on shocks at 100k for both my vehicles. Just me though.

Quote:

I put Edelbrock IAS shocks in my 98 Yukon 80,000 miles ago. They still work nice. I think I paid about 50 bucks apiece at Summit. Truck originally came with Bilstiens. I think the Edelbrocks feel better.

Ha, that's funny, I also put a set of these on my '98 Yukon. They definitely were an improvement over the stock shocks. Don't have that vehicle any longer so I can't comment on longevity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back