Best octANE BOOSTER

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the best readily available octane booster. Could 87 be pushed to 93 with the booster. Thanks

Toluene. Its safer to use since your gas is already 5-15% toluene anyways. Stay away from the MMT stuff, it has a rep for messing with O2 sensors and Cats. And it will turn your plugs a very feminine shade of pink
laugh.gif

Toluene is like 106 octane I THINK. Somewhere near that anyways. Problem is, to push it to 93 will likely cost you more in toluene than if you just bought 93 octane from the pump.

Most use toluene to boost octane of premium(93+) to get it to something like 100 octane where race fuels aren't available.

So yeah, simple answer is "yes" you can boost 87 oct to 93 with a booster. But it will cost you less to just buy the 93 most likely.

best OCTANE Booster? MMT but of course!

Darn it if it kills your CAT but hey! They are far cheaper than anything else avail out in the market OTC or DIY style.

LOL (sarcasm included)!

p.s. I absolutely refuse to use/add MMT in any of my car.

Forgot to add, toluene is getting harder to find in alot of stores in parts of the country. Especially the midwest. Reason for this is that its a common component on the manufacture of meth. Homedepot and walmart here in pittsburgh used to carry quarts and gallons of it cheap and now they have none at all. They direct everyone to buy Xylene instead. Xylene will work the same way for paints and octane(Xylene has a similar octane) but it can be MUCH more expensive than toluene. Xylene cannot be readily used to make meth, thus why they push people to use it instead of tol.

1 gallon of Sunoco Turbo Blue 110 octane to 5-7 gallons of unleaded. My 70 442 loves the stuff.....
ooo.gif

What about alcohol? I was thinking of methanol, as in HEET. It's not too expensive and works quite well. The only article I've seen on toluene where they actually tested in according to the research and motor octane number methods, toluene was essentially useless in the dosages always advocated. I don't recall them trying 10%, though.

Thanks bluemax!

Ok, I did some quick numbers. To turn 87 into 93 you would need a mix of at least 23% toluene.

(87 * .77) + (114 * .23) = 93.21 octane. Thats alot of toluene to have to add. If you have a 10 gallon tank, thats 2.3 Gallons of toluene.

Guys, I really don't think it's a simple mixture percentage calculation. pseudaytona, I'm assuming you're being sarcastic?

No he's not being sarcastic. It's not very cost effective or convenient to use Toluene to raise 87 octane to an available 93 octane. Most folks use it, as psudaytona stated, to obtain octane leevls that are not easily available, ie 100 octane where race gas is not easily available. They do this to reach HP levels not attainable on 93 pump for a given engine (ie. on turbocharged apps, it allows them to increase boost to levels that would cause knocking/detonation on 93).

The folks who do this commonly add anywhere from 2-4 gallons of Toluene to a 15-20 gallon tank.

Max

bulwnkl, Given the nature of fuels these days, the ratio of component a to component b is pretty close.

You really DO need a bucket of toluene to get anywhere. A half pint in an additive bottle is a joke.

Back when fuels were leaded, you got a little more than the ratio indicated. Not much more. i.e. as leaded was phased out in Oz, a mix of 97RON leaded and 97RON unleaded gave about 98 octane.

Hmm... I'm a little surprised to hear that the simple ratio model is reasonable. Would that still hold true if you weren't using something that's already a significant component of the fuel? Like MMT (which is no longer a significant component over here) or methanol or water? If memory serves, the organometallics don't behave in a linear fashion wrt anti-knock index improvement. Is that correct?

yep,
organometallics roll off with higher concentrations.

Methanol/ethanol in petrol are sort of linear as well.

Quote:

If memory serves, the organometallics don't behave in a linear fashion wrt anti-knock index improvement. Is that correct?

That is correct, to a point. Different hydrocarbons have different reactions to organometallic compounds. Some hydrocarbons show little or no improvement with the addition of TEL, conversely some (triptane for example) have huge performance number increases with additional TEL. Some hydrocarbons do have a linear relationship to the addition of OMCs.

Yeah I know there are some variations with how the real octane is calculated. My calc was just done roughly to give a quick example of what sort of level of toluene would be needed.

I browse some racing forums every so often and listen to topics about these adds and I always hear amounts of at least half gallon all the way to 3 gallons per tank. Only way it financially makes sense is to use it to make uncommon ultra high octane. Its certain its alot cheaper to buy 93.

I still laugh when I am at AAP or walmart and I see folks grabbing 12oz bottles of "Octane Booster" cause it says 'Boosts octane by 2 POINTS!'. 2 Points = .2 octane numbers
laugh.gif
Spend 3.00 to boost 87 to 87.2

But understanding alot of this chemistry stuff reinforces why I am an Information Sciences major and NOT a chem major
laugh.gif

Used ~10% toulene in pump prem in high compression twostrokes when av or race was unavailable. 5 gal pales from the paint store, which did raise some eyebrows.

Best octane booster I've used is 100LL AV gas. At 50/50 pump prem and 100LL has supported any build or boost I've seen. Even at 25% it gives a lot of protection from detonation.

The NOS octane booster with "nitro" is actually the best I've tried. It really does seem to make a noticeable difference in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back