Recommend drivetrain lubes for 2006 Dodge Ram 3500

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend called me about this 2WD truck and asked me what lubes he should put in on this first service at 36k miles. He says he tows with it heavily several days a week. I asked him what he uses in the engine and he's using Amsoil and found out he is a preferred customer of theirs. So I told him I would get back to him after putting this on the board and getting opinion of others.

The diff. holds about 4.5 quarts of lube, and is some sort of locking diff. The manual trans lube should also be changed, I believe. I'm not sure which unit he has. Maybe some of you have more knowledge on this and can make some informed recommendations. Thanks in advance.

if he is a preffered customer of amsoil then why doesnt he call them and ask them what would be good for his truck? its that simple

Ok, no one has said a peep here, so I looked this up on the Amsoil online application chart and this limited diff calls for 75W-90. If he's towing a lot, would it be ok to use 75W-140? Also, I have no idea which manual trans is in this HD truck. Anyone have any ideas? And, if it calls for an ATF, could he use their MTF here in SC? Undummy, you there?

Its best to post what is required by the owners manual prior to asking for recommendations.

When a truck is worked, I would go thickest as possible.
Since rearends rarely care what weight is used, I would definitely use the 140wt. Extra LSD additive can be added if there is any LSD chatter.

Manuals tend to be picky, if ATF is required, you might sacrifice some shift quality by using an MTF. But, its is worthy upgrade.

Quote:

if he is a preffered customer of amsoil then why doesnt he call them and ask them what would be good for his truck? its that simple

I don't think that he knows that's readily available. He's a construction guy and is doing good to just check his engine oil once in a while. From what I gathered, a guy signed him up and then moved out of town and does not deal with Amsoil anymore. I guess I will email Amsoil for him.

"Its best to post what is required by the owners manual prior to asking for recommendations."

I realize that now, but I did not have access to the manual. Thank you for your input.

I absolutely KNOW I posted this yesterday, yet my post is gone. Weird.

Anyhow, repost. For the 5.7L 8-cyl Engine code D:

Code:

Manual Transmission,Getrag 238.....AP4

Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid

Manual Transmission,TREMEC T56.....GL-4

75W-85[3]

Synthetic Manual Transmission and Transaxle Gear Lube 75W-90

Manual Transmission,G56.....AP4

Automatic Transmission.....AP4[4]

Differential, Front 9.25 AA.....GL-5[5]

All Temps......75W-90

Severe Gear 75W-90

Differential, Front 9.25 AA EL.....GL-5[5]

All Temps......75W-90

Severe Gear 75W-90

Differential, Front C205FD.....GL-5[5]

All Temps......75W-90

Severe Gear 75W-90

Differential, Rear 10.5 AA.....GL-5[5]

All Temps......75W-90

Severe Gear 75W-90

Differential, Rear 10.5 AA EL.....GL-5[5]

All Temps......75W-90

Severe Gear 75W-90

Differential, Rear 11.5 AA Open.....GL-5[5]

All Temps......75W-90

Severe Gear 75W-90

Differential, Rear 11.5 AA Trac-Rite.....GL-5[5]

All Temps......75W-90

Severe Gear 75W-90

Differential, Rear 248RBI (Dana 60).....GL-5[6]

All Temps......90

SAE 80W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube

Severe Gear 75W-90

SAE 75W-90 Synthetic Gear Lube

Differential, Rear 9.25.....GL-5[7]

All Temps......75W-140

Severe Gear 75W-140

SAE 80W-140 Synthetic Gear Lube

Transfer Case,.....AP4

Fluids

Power Steering Fluid.....AP4

Brake Fluid.....HB

Clutch Fluid.....HB

1. Vehicles with the 5.7 Multiple Displacement SYS (MDS)

must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in

improper operation of the Multiple Displacement SYS (MDS).

2. Vehicles with the 5.7 Multiple Displacement SYS (MDS)

must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in

improper operation of the Multiple Displacement SYS (MDS).

3. 75W-90 GL-4 is a synthetic gear oil, Mopar Part No. 4637579

or Castrol Syntorq are recommended.

4. DaimlerChrysler Corp. recommends that all vehicles with

Chrysler ATS be serviced W/ ATF+4

ATF.

5. Synthetic based oil.

6. Add 147 ml (5oz) of limited slip additive

7. With Trac-Lok add 118 ml (4oz) of limited slip additive

Tell us more details and I can narrow it down a bit.

1. Vehicles with the 5.7 Multiple Displacement SYS (MDS) must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Multiple Displacement SYS (MDS). 2. Vehicles with the 5.7 Multiple Displacement SYS (MDS) must use SAE 5W-20 oil. Failure to do so may result in improper operation of the Multiple Displacement SYS (MDS).
Does the EPA make them put it like this cause theres no way that system knows if your running a heavy 20wt or a thin 30wt oil.

No, has nothing to do with EPA. The automaker is trying to squeeze as much MPG as possible. Why reduce MPG by using a thicker oil?

I have a 2006 Ram 2500, which I think are the same rears, I changed my rearend oil out at 1500 miles and it was rough looking like grayish silver, real dark. The cover was nasty too. I put 75w90EP Mobil 1 oil in , the manual states no limited slip additive for the 2500/3500 only the 1500. I changed the front rearend at 5000 and it looked like new yet, go figure. I have a auto tranny so cant help you with that. I think my rears are 3.90s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back