Chevron 15/W40, 1984 Mi. '85 Honda Sabre 700

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy All,

This is my first analysis on this new to me old bike. This sample had sheared back to a 30 which didn't surprise me much considering it had 6 ounces of LC-20 in it.

I had the valve covers off to set the tappets. I live in a very sandy area near an open pit sand mine, so maybe that explains the silicone, though our cars also usually show high silicone as well regardless of what filter is used.

The new fill of Castrol 4T has the appropriate dose of Auto-RX in. Interstingly enough, within less than 100 miles the minor smoking on start-up was gone, and my parteners commented there is no longer any smoke on deceleration.

Comments and thoughts are most welcome.

John

Two questions:

Q1 -- Was this the Chevron Delo HDEO? I would have expected the moly count higher if it was, given the moly in that oil.

Q2 -- What is LC-20?

Q1 -- Was this the Chevron Delo HDEO? I would have expected the moly count higher if it was, given the moly in that oil.

No, it was just plain old Chevron not the Delo.

Q2 -- What is LC-20?

LC20 is an oil addative made by Lube Control. They are one of the site sponsors if you care to check out their products. Also you can see quite a bit od discussion on the oil addative forum here. I started using it in my cars at Terry's suggestion and tried it in this bike as well.

John

That's a nice old bike.

Is that one of the Honda engines that had serious top end lube problems (cam bearings IIRC).

I don't remember the details except that there are various fixes available.

... was suspect for cam pitting and this one shows evidence of this.

http://www.pbase.com/358norma/image/77552467.jpg

Once at my photo site you can see more.

After I finish the A-RX and rinse I'll be opening the covers again to see what has changed and check the valve lash again.

I'm hoping that it will continue to run well and that this pitting remains in check.

There is a top end oil conversion and I have one, but I have yet to install it.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back