Oil brand recommendations for 2007 Corolla

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need some help choosing a good oil for my new 2007 Toyota Corolla. I've driven it nearly 3,000 miles and am looking to perform its first oil change.

Does anyone what brand oil performs the best in the engine this car is equipped with (1.8L with VVTi)? For the filter, I'll be using WIX. The recommended viscosity is 5w30, which I plan to stick with.

I figure there should be enough posters on this forum with this type of car that have performed UOAs to get a good recommendation for my car.

Thanks for the help!

Oh Buddy, did you ever come to the right place...Go to UOA section and start looking at the UOA's of Prizms, Vibes, and Corolla's...You are standing on the shoulders of giants so to speak. You are gonna wanna look for the 1ZZ-FE engine...most of the above mentioned cars were equipped with this motor since 1998...I have this motor in an 02 Prizm and so far I have used Valvoline conventional 5w30 and currently Amsoil XL 5w30...I really like the Amsoil...but since your car is new and you are under warranty I would run conventional for 3000mile oci's...Is that what Toyota recommends? You pick your brand...all of the major brands(Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil,...) seem to do fine in this motor...Also Wix is good! Read this...
http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=2#Post841939

Quote:

I need some help choosing a good oil for my new 2007 Toyota Corolla. I've driven it nearly 3,000 miles and am looking to perform its first oil change.

Does anyone what brand oil performs the best in the engine this car is equipped with (1.8L with VVTi)? For the filter, I'll be using WIX. The recommended viscosity is 5w30, which I plan to stick with.

I figure there should be enough posters on this forum with this type of car that have performed UOAs to get a good recommendation for my car.

Thanks for the help!

Pretty much anything in accordance with your manual will easily get you to 200,000-miles...

I'm assuming it's calling for a 5W-30. Any one of them meeting the SM rating will do. The only real question is drain intervals. If your manual specifies a 5000-mile or so drain only, then use conventional. If you're allowed to go to like 7,500 miles, I'd use a synthetic for that personally...

Enjoy your stellar gas mileage.
driving.gif

I have an '07 Corolla also. Manual and oil filler cap says 5W-30 but there's that Toyota TSB, mentioned here several times, which includes the Corolla, says 5W-20 is now recommended. I am currently 4.5K into an Amsoil 5W-30. Will change to 0W-20 before winter.

I've done more UOAs than I'd like to admit for my 2005 Corolla
smirk.gif
(more $$ than I'd EVER put into oil for this car) and have posted every one.

The BEST UOAs for my car have been with Castrol GTX, Pennzoil conventional. I've run Syntec, Syntec blend, Mobil 1, QS and Halvoline DS.

If your going to stay with 5k OCIs (good idea since the warrenty is 60k miles or 5 years) I'd recommend Castrol GTX, Pennzoil yellow bottle, Havoline DS or Valvoline in the 5w-30 weight.

Whatever you can get on sale or is cheaper. Your engine will be clean and well protected!
thumbsup.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Whats the mileage you guys are getting out of the corollas on the highway? I have the 06 ford fusion 3l v6 and I have a 60 mile round trip commute to work everyday. Is about 5 minute trip when I leave the house to the highway then the cruise is set at 70mph for about 25 minutes then I am going about 45-50mph with a couple of stoplights then am at work, then reverse order coming home. And I am only getting maybe 23mpg in the fusion. Just took it to a trip to PA was around 686 miles altogether and i had the cruise set between 65-75 and was only getting 23.9mpg. Have amsoil 0W20 in it for around 4000 miles now and plan on going to 10k, but am seriously looking at getting a civic or corolla. Just need better gas mileage.

If some that have the corollas could pipe in your mileage I would appreciate it.

Mike

listen to what bill says he has tons of uoa's on his 05 corolla.. thanks bill btw! my girl has the same model as his but its an auto not a 5spd.. we use gtx and penzoil thanks to bill...you have a great lil car there. i hate small cars but i have learned to like hers. very reliable, good with oil and tranny fluid and great gas mileage to boot. they require little maintanence, ex no greasing of fittings or anything. just change the oil, pcv valve, air filter, and do drain and fills with the tranny and thats all you have to do.. period!

All SM/GF-4 name-brand oils are good.

You never mentioned preference ...ie... din, blend or synthetic.

I do recall reading some really good Toyota UOAs here using Pennzoil.

Quote:

If some that have the corollas could pipe in your mileage I would appreciate it.

My overall average for 88k miles is 43.20 mpg. This summer its been over 44mpg. In the winter I average around 40-42 mpg (I do drive slower but the winter gas and snow tires hurt somewhat).

Best MPG has been 47.05 and worst has been 38.80.

2005 Corolla 5 speed CE with stock everything. Still on the orginal tires, plugs and coolant. Changed out the transmission fluid twice (once with Mobil 1 gear oil (bad) and Amsoil MTF (the 75-90wt gear oil) MUCH BETTER
thumbsup.gif
)

PCV was replaced around 70k miles.

I change out the engine oil around 5-6k with a filter change everytime. On my 3rd Airfilter (current one has 40k plus on it) and use Fram.

Planning on this car for 400k miles. Since I've got 88k and its a 2005 I think we will see if that happens. My 1986 Jetta has 315k miles and still going strong.

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Last edited:
bill is also known as the "highway man" haha . good job bill.. my girls gas mileage is in the mid to upper 30's. but when on the highway it doesnt go below 70 unless a cop is around. ususally 75-80 and in the city she drives it like she stole it. we dont go over 5k mile oci's though. change the air filter when it starts get dark in the center (roughly every 10-15k miles).. got new tires once. did a drain and fill 5k miles ago with T-4 yota atf.. next up is new airfilter, pcv valve and oil change..

I tried getting a 2007 civic lx sedan today, mileage is 30/40 but i still owe 19K on the 2006 fusion and have almost 43K miles on it and they were only going to give me 11K for it and I would have had to put down an extra 6K, i was like nah i will stick with the fusion. Thanks for the replys though, i would still like to get a civic or corolla eventually

Thanks for all the good recommendations. Since this is my daily driver and it doesn't sit idle long, I've decided to stick with dino oil for this car. I'm going to go pick up some Pennzoil conventional or Castrol GTX after I'm done typing this response. For the OCI, I'm going to stick with the 5,000 mile OCI per Bill in Utah.

For fuel mileage, I average 40 on the nose with a combo of 40% city/60% highway driving during my normal home-to-work and back routine. I drove a few hours to visit a friend a couple months back and got 43 mpg on about 90% highway driving. The worst tank I got was 37 mpg in about 90% city driving due to some road construction on the highway where I live.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with this car so far. This is my first Toyota and all the good things I hear about these vehicles have so far proved to be true (I'm knocking on wood right now to pervent just in case--ha ha). Heck, come to think of it this is my first foreign car ever. Another reason I chose this vehicle is because a friend of mine has a 2005 model with 60,000 miles on it and he's never had a problem with it. Combine this with the fact that he drives it like he stole it and doesn't do any maintenance to it and I'm thinking Corolla's are great cars. Don't worry though, I take really good care of mine!

yeah enjoy that little ride.. just keep these things in mind for future maintenance (first off read your book and try to go by it when you can)
-spark plugs-100k miles change
-Seafoam treatments (every 20-30k miles or so)
-Tranny, if you have an automatic i would do a drain and fill every 15k miles. its usually only 4qts at a time and its easy as changing the oil
-PCV valve change roughly every 20-30k miles they are cheap and its easy to do
- you have the oil wrapped up so you are good to go there.. enjoy the car they are great lil cars... lucky you, you do not have any grease points. but i would call toyota dealership and find out or crawl under it and look for them. they should be in the front if any at all. i know the 2005's do not have to be greased at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back