Chemically modified base oil ? plz, help me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In description of base oil of Aral engine oil, I found three interesting words on it.

http://www.aral-lubricants.com/lubricants/com/technical/safety.html

1. synthetic base stock.
2. chemically modified base oil
3. highly refined base oil

I think synthetic base stock is Grp IV. and highly refined base oil is Grp II.
First of all, am I right?

then, what is chemically "modified" base oil? Is is Grp III? or new oil like vegetable ester?

Can somebody help me?

In Europe they seem to call PAO (Grp. IV) based motor oils Full/Fully synthetic, and Group III based motor oils use the term Synthetic technology.

I also, in MSDS, met "Chemically modified base oil"
Could somebody explain me this term.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Maybe group 3+, or GTL (gas to liquid)??
21.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Your best hope is that someone like MolaKule reads this. Most of the rest of us are simply guessing.

Yes, I was hoping that he'd be in this thread by now.

G'day,

I'd like to bump this thread since there is no answer. The Castrol Edge 10w-60 SN that we get in Australia according to the castrol search engine it is marketed only in Asia, like China, HK, India, Japan, Malaysia (made here), Singapore and Taiwan.

Here is a link to the msds
http://msdspds.castrol.com/ussds/amersdsf.nsf/Files/871DC161259F53C580257B750052A035/$File/209444Castrol%20EDGE%2010W-60%20SN.pdf

What is meant by "chemically modified"??

All other Castrol Edge 10w-60 are made in EU and say synthetic base, obviously grp4.

Ours has that grp4 smell but i think it must be based on grp3/4 blend maybe?? Anyone care to confirm?

Edit: just realized this is my first post but i've been reading this great site for ages
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drivebelt
In Europe they seem to call PAO (Grp. IV) based motor oils Full/Fully synthetic, and Group III based motor oils use the term Synthetic technology.

This is only in Germany. They actually have laws that forbid selling group III oils as synthetics. They call it HC Synthese. Rest of the EU ( and Europe) get the same fully synth story you guys get.

Yeah I know.

If you search on any German site to buy oils the Castrol Edge 10w-60 is labelled "vollsynthese" which means only PAO based. If it isn't PAO based it will say HC synthese or SHC synthese.

But our version is not PAO based and as far as I can tell it used to be back when it was marketed as Castrol Edge Sport 10w-60
They changed it quite a few years ago.

The current version probably still has PAO in it as you can smell it, I think somebody called it the "butter cookie" smell.

Oh, I just want to add that I'm not against grp3 oils. I am lead to believe they have advanced quite a bit and can be equally as good as PAO in some cases.

Additionally, I understand that oil base isn't everything and that additive quality plays a huge part.

I also read up that Shell is breaking new ground with its GTL (gas-to-liquid) process that is supposed to produce quality base stock rivaling PAO. Apparently Pennzoil is using this GTL stuff in their brews and BMW will switch completely to Shell oils from 2015 as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back