Tire Sealant -Tire explosion

Status
Not open for further replies.
While filling up with gas yesterday, I heard what sounded like a 12 gage shotgun being fired just 20 or 30 feet away. Scared the bejeezuz out of me and several other customers. At almost the same instant I heard someone groaning loudly, obviously in pain. I didn't see anything at first but within a few seconds several people on the other side of kiosk went running over to help someone. When I went around to have a look, there was a flat tire on the front of an SUV, a 15" long wide open gash along the upper sidewall of the tire, the air hose laying on the ground, and several people helping this poor guy who was on the ground holding his face.

The whole thing got me quite curious and I was trying to understand how this could happen. I noticed a can of Gunk Tire Sealant on the front seat of the SUV so I started to reason that this tire already had a problem, the driver had perhaps run it with the pressure too low, which had weakened the sidewall and then it blew out while he was bringing it back up to pressure. It's possible I suppose. Other people were drawing their own conclusion : the gas station air compressor had no pressure adjustment or guage, so it must have over pressured the tire until it blew. Also possible but then I'd expect to hear more of these stories. I was also surprised to see that absolutely no one there had a clue about something a simple as maintaining tire pressure. Some were commenting that they had never put air in a tire in their life; other's thought that the compressor would "know" how much air to put in the tire and would just shut off when everything was right.

One gentlemen mentioned that they should put warnings on these compressors. This particular compressor-in-a-box had nothing on the front except the gas station's logo, and then 3 or 4 small lines of small print on the lower left with the word "Warning" written above. When I went up close to see what was under the warning heading, here's what it said :
Do not use this compressor on tires that have had aerosol tire sealant applied. Tire explosion may result.

Unbelievable ! I've never seen or heard of that before. So here we have a tire that exploded while it was being filled with air, a can of tire sealant on the front seat, and a compressor with a warning about the potential hazard of this exact combination. I asked the guy if he had put sealant in the tire and he nodded 'yes'. Ultimately someone took this poor guy to the hospital. He could see out of both eyes, but he was in a lot of pain. And there was rubber shrapnel blown all over the pavement, his clothes, even the top of the hood and the roof of the SUV. The tire valve was right at the bottom (6 o'clock position) so he was crouched down with his head right at the same level as the top of the tire, which is where it blew out. He took the full explosion right in the face.

I've seen those sealant cams with removable stick-on labels you are supposed to put on the wheel so as to warn the tire repair person.

Betcha'a Google will reveal other incidents.

I worked in a service station between high school and university.

Regularly, there would be a huge "bang" at the air hose, I'd look up, and see a white puff of talcum powder from a bicycle tyre that they'd just held the hose on full.

One day I heard two bangs. Bloke came down all surly that our compressors were "set wrong", citing some standard that only he knew about that the compressor must not deliver a pressure higher than the rating of the tyre (when pressures range from 28 to 110psi depending on tyre). He left his bike at the office, stating that "it better be here when I get back". Boss rang the cops and reported a dumped bike.

Another time a sweet old indian chap came in and said he'd aired up his HQ kingswood, and it wasn't riding well. I looked at it, and it looked like a matchbox car. There was no flat contact patch, nor slight bulge of the sidewall of a correctly maintained tyre. Through the language barrier, we learned that his technique was off.

Scary removing the valve cores, but that was the way of spending the least time next to them.

Its flammable and hella stinks trying to find the hole in the tire, have to scrape it all out to find, yuck what a mess.

Well, I think you hit the nail on the head.

When tires are run flat, the sidewall of the tire gets damaged. Most of this damage will be on the inside, but there will be some marks on the outside. Obviously this one had not been damaged enough to warn the guy not to mess with it.

The sealant can was a good clue that he had had a problem and was in the process of dealing with it.

I find the warning on the compressor interesting. Obviously they have encountered this before! Unfortunately the warning is something that leaves them wide open to a lawsuit for "failure to warn" for situations where a can of sealant is not involved.

And to echo what others have said: It is amazing to me how many misconceptions there are concerning tires and tire pressure. It is also amazing to me how strongly some folks cling to a belief that is totally wrong! (and he walked away, muttering softly to himself and shaking his head from side to side.)

so it seems the can of fix a flat had nothing to do with this. if it had exploded he would have burns on his skin and clothing as well as a possibly burning tyre.

i bet that tyre would of exploded with or without the fix a flat.

Quote:

Well, I think you hit the nail on the head.

When tires are run flat, the sidewall of the tire gets damaged. Most of this damage will be on the inside, but there will be some marks on the outside. Obviously this one had not been damaged enough to warn the guy not to mess with it.

The sealant can was a good clue that he had had a problem and was in the process of dealing with it.

I find the warning on the compressor interesting. Obviously they have encountered this before! Unfortunately the warning is something that leaves them wide open to a lawsuit for "failure to warn" for situations where a can of sealant is not involved.

And to echo what others have said: It is amazing to me how many misconceptions there are concerning tires and tire pressure. It is also amazing to me how strongly some folks cling to a belief that is totally wrong! (and he walked away, muttering softly to himself and shaking his head from side to side.)

One of my cars had a flat this week from a nail. I was going to plug it like I did back in my 4x4 days but decided to take it to the tire store instead. they pulled the tire off of the rim and the sidewalls were chewed up. If I would have only plugged it from the outside it would have had a blowout at some point in time for sure.

this guy had the same problem, his tire was damaged internally, he gave it a quick fix and didn't get it repaired immediately. when filling the compromised tire, it exploded because it was no longer structurally sound to hold air.

no air compressor I have ever seen has a magic pressure limiting device that automatically knows the correct pressure for a tire. the person operating the machine has to exercise some common sense.

Some of the cans have non-flammable formula stuff inside.
I used one a couple weeks ago, when my wife had a flat and I found that the spare donut had blown out the sidewall somewhere along the line.

Quote:

Its flammable and hella stinks trying to find the hole in the tire, have to scrape it all out to find, yuck what a mess.

yes it is, often the patch won't stick to the tire because of the chemicals in the fix a flat ----.....which doesn't work
smile.gif

about 75 percent of the tires that came in where i used to work to be fixed because they'd leak down....had fix a flat in them.

never used the stuff and don't plan on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back