5w-20 vs 10w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys I am new to this board. I have reviewed some of the threads regarding 5w-20 oils, not only here but all over the web. I must admit I have never been this confused over oil before. I bought a new 2004 F-150 5.4l a month ago and it has about 600miles on it. The dealer says I have to use 5w-20 or Mobil 1 0w-20 or I will void the warranty. (Which i find hard to believe) I have used Mobil 1 10w-30 in my 96 GMC 4.3l with excellent results. I would like to use it in the new Ford also, due to the Hot weather we see here in Texas. My main question is this; I want maximum life out of this engine not just what is good for C.A.F.E. requirements and what will get Ford thru the warranty period. I keep my trucks a long time, I will be passing my 96 GMC with 105000 miles on it down to my son. It runs as good today as when I bought it brand new. What Oil do I use in my New Truck to get maximum life??? Thanks

Hey 2004 F150 4x4,

Welcome to BITOG!

Don't feel bad about being confused about oils when learning about them, we've been all there done that. **** sometimes I still get confused, hehe

The dealer only reccomends you use what they say while under warranty so if something were to happen to the truck, it doesn't cost you a dime.

On to oils: 0w20, 5w20, and 10w30 do have there differences but the real thing is how well they flow upon start up. 0w oil will flow better than the 5w or 10w because it is of lighter viscosity, because the oil hardly weighs anything when upon start up. Now when, when the oil gets warmed up it acts as a 20w viscosity oil, hence the reason for multi viscosity. 10w30 will flow the worst of all these viscosities of oils becuase of it's heavier viscosity properties. The 10w30 however is more shear stable being thicker that it is from the 2 it will perform better under hotter climates and or if your towing something. YOu can use 5w30 year around where you live but if it was me, I would feel better knowing I have 10w30 in the crankcase. Also using, 5w30 in the cooler months with the stock Motorcraft filter will give you good flow and filtration properties. Nice thing about Motorcraft is they have a ADBV(Anti Drain Back Valve) meaning when you shut the truck off, contaiminated oil will not flow back into the engine) Other filters have these as well, but from reading on here, the Motorcraft seems to have the best one, to my knowledge.

Mobil1 and Motorcraft are both excellent oils with great protections. The differences are well, Motorcraft is a semi synthetic blend and Mobil1 is a pure PAO based synthetic.

Mobil1 will keep your engine cleaner being synthetic that it is and you can go longer on your OCI's (Oil Change Intervals) But for now, I would stick with the Motorcraft to ensure proper break in for your new F150. BTW, congrats on the new purchase! After about 500-1000 miles you can swap the engine oil and filter for Mobil1 10w30 if you so choose too. The Motorcraft 5w20 is also very shear stable meaning it's very resistant to breaking down under heat and pressure making it for an excellent break in oil for newer Fords.

Mobil1 you can go easily 6-7K miles on the oil and filter without changing it. Course your driving style and climate conditions will vary as to how long you can really go without changing the oil. Both Motorcraft and Mobil1 will keep your engine clean but I think Mobil1 will serve you well.

Also, to ensure a pure clean engine with maximum lubrication, check out Lube Control. Here is the link. www.lubecontrol.com

I'm not going to sit here and lecture about which oil to use and bager you about Mobil1 or anything, that's at your discrection. I'm only giving some good advice. Hope this helps,,,,AR

[ August 19, 2004, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: Airborne Ranger ]

Do we have anyone on this site that works at a Ford dealer that can give an honest answer on the warranty question? I am using the Motorcraft Filter, I dropped the factory oil at 501 miles, installed new filter and added 7 quarts of Valvoline 5w-20. I would like to use Mobil 1 10w-30 IF 1. It does'nt void the warranty and 2. It won't hurt the engine and I don't think it will. Anyone else ???

Well....I really doubt that if you use a high quality 10W-30 that there would ever be an oil related engine failure. I have also seen an engine go 75k without it's first OCI, and live strong till 300k+.

2004 F150 4X4 - Do we have anyone on this site that works at a Ford dealer that can give an honest answer on the warranty question? I am using the Motorcraft Filter, I dropped the factory oil at 501 miles, installed new filter and added 7 quarts of Valvoline 5w-20. I would like to use Mobil 1 10w-30 IF 1. It does'nt void the warranty and 2. It won't hurt the engine and I don't think it will. Anyone else ???

The car makers "recommend" what oil viscosity and types to use. The owner can use any oil of any weight they want. In the event of an engine failure the car maker must prove the failure is a direct result of something the owner did (or did not do) before they can deny warranty coverage.

Given that you are in TX, it is very doubtful that a good synthetic 10w30 would not serve you well. However, since the maker recommends a 5w20 would you consider using a synthetic 5w30 to get a slightly better flow at startup and equal protection at high temps?

Many happy miles!

offtopic.gif

Hemidart - I have also seen an engine go 75k without it's first OCI, and live strong till 300k+.

Ya know, I see posts like this and it makes chills go up and down my back. How could anyone do that to an engine (engines are like people, they need to be cared for tenderly)? And then how could the engine not fail?

Life ain't fair!

Seeing you live in the DFW area, Mobil 1 10w-30 would give you all the protection you would need for the life of your truck.

I doubt the dealer would ever know if you were using Mobil 1 10w-30 unless you told them. The viscosity difference between Mobil 1 10w-30 and some the 5w20s is relatively small. However, you'll probably need at least some receipts for any warranty claim to go through with less hassle. My Walmart receipts usually have the viscosity on them, so they may not be the faux proof you need. A Motorcraft filter on there would probably help too.

All that being said, we see here that Motorcraft 5w20 semi-syn (and several others) have done extremely well in Ford Modular V8s, even here in the south.

If it was me, I'd use the Motorcraft 5w20 (~$1.50 at Walmart) for a couple of 3K mile changes, then use Mobil 1 0w20 until the warranty runs out. Do a UOA after the first Mobil 1 interval to check on the health of your engine. And then yearly after that, at least until the warranty runs out, so you know if problems are developing.

[ August 19, 2004, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: 427Z06 ]

Originally posted by 2004 F150 4x4:
Do we have anyone on this site that works at a Ford dealer that can give an honest answer on the warranty question? I am using the Motorcraft Filter, I dropped the factory oil at 501 miles, installed new filter and added 7 quarts of Valvoline 5w-20. I would like to use Mobil 1 10w-30 IF 1. It does'nt void the warranty and 2. It won't hurt the engine and I don't think it will. Anyone else ??? [/QUOTE

No offense here bro but you make it sound like my response meant absolutely nothing to you!?!?

I'm not sitting here saying I want all the attention or nothing but it seems to me that my response was appauling to you? Whas the deal bro??,,,AR

It sure can get confusing fast, around here!
I presently think that your engine will outlast most of your other componenets on the car, whether you use 0-20, 5-20, or 10-30M1. That M1 10-30 is one of the best oils out there, and in your climate would work great [I have a brother living in Wylie so I'm familiar with weather there].
However, if you decide to spend the winter up here with us Yankees [lol], use the lighter oils.

I got a 01 4x4 F150 Screw with the 5.4L engine, I know the 04 5.4L have a different design, well at least the heads are, they are 3 valves per cylinder instead of 2. I have used 5W-30 in "our" winters and 10W-30 for the summers. I'm down here in SW Oklahoma. I've had UOA's on both oils and that engine just loves that stuff. Doesn't drink it, cranks fine and some of the best UOA's I've ever seen from any engine. I'm using M1 oil. I've looked around for filters, but the best filter and most common one that a whole sleu of fellow F150'ers use is the Motorcraft. A good filter and even better price and readily available almost anywhere in our neck of the woods. I think it's the FL820S.

Airborne Ranger, Sorry no offense intended I would just really LOVE to hear from someone that works at Ford that could settle this warranty issue. I appreciate your quick response and all the responses....

Guys, Thanks for all the input. After doing some more checking on this site I think I am going to stick with 5w-20. I see some guys that have some good mileage on their trucks with this oil. I just don't won't to risk a problem with warranty with my new truck, extended warranty goes to 75000 miles or 6 years. I will be using Pennzoil (i read alot of good about it) 5w-20 OR I just found this on their website Pennzoil Synthetic Blend 5w-20 Truck and Suv. (Smart Move Pennzoil Marketing Folks). Anyone disagree with mu findings fire away I have'nt dropped the Valvoline 5w-20 out yet...

And I see where you can sign up for a 10year/250000 mile extended warranty with Pennzoil if you change your oil at 4000mile or 4 month intervals. How cool is that?

Can't beat that pledge Pennzoil is warranted for. I think Quakerstate had a similar warranty at fastlube. I am sure it will last but how many do keep their vehicle for 250,000 miles and all reciept and proof must be valid, in a sound mechanical vehicle. Has there been a void in that warranty..

AAAAHHHHH!!! Drop the valvoline 5w-20 NOW. That oil doesn't come even close to ford's specs IMO. Motorcraft 5w-20 is way better. It is a semi-syn. Valvoline isn't(and it's more expensive) You could use mobil 1 5w-30 if you wanted. It's a thin 30wt so it isn't that much thicker than a 20wt. Ford would have to prove your oil was the cause for a failure, not the other way around. The only way a dealer could tell if you ran a 30wt is by analysis and we learned from Cathy's V10 explosion that dealers don't do many analysis. Also take into account driving conditions and oil temp. If you don't tow or run hard, stay with the 20wt
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by OffOrWFO:
AAAAHHHHH!!! Drop the valvoline 5w-20 NOW. That oil doesn't come even close to ford's specs IMO. Motorcraft 5w-20 is way better. It is a semi-syn. Valvoline isn't(and it's more expensive) You could use mobil 1 5w-30 if you wanted. It's a thin 30wt so it isn't that much thicker than a 20wt. Ford would have to prove your oil was the cause for a failure, not the other way around. The only way a dealer could tell if you ran a 30wt is by analysis and we learned from Cathy's V10 explosion that dealers don't do many analysis. Also take into account driving conditions and oil temp. If you don't tow or run hard, stay with the 20wt
smile.gif

While the Valvoline wouldn't be considered a top tier oil here, I wouldn't worry about it and run a normal interval on it. Honestly, millions of vehicles run fine on the stuff.

As to 10w30 vs. 5w20, both will work. I'd stick with the 5w20 for the warranty period, just to avoid any potential hassles.

Overall, despite the doubters and nay sayers, it works well in the modual Ford motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back