Autozone tranny filters now with rubber gaskets

Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologize if this is the wrong forum for this post.

Last weekend, I did a pan drop and fluid change on my wifey's '97 Caravan. I bought a house-brand filter from Autozone.

The box had a sticker on it that said "Featuring High Performance Gasket!" When I opened the box, sure enough, it included a thick rubber gasket.

Over the years, I've used everything from AC Delco to Fram to Purolator filters on this tranny. This is the first time I've ever seen an included pan gasket made of anything besides flimsy cork.

Considering that the filter was less than $10, I'm pretty sure from where I'm going to buy my next filter.

good to know. I bought one to do my dad's trans and it came with a ---- cork gasket. on top of that apparently GM made a design change and the filter wasn't right anyways.

I've always been a big fan of the rubberish type of pan gasket but I've been lambasted on other forums for saying so. It seems like everybody else was a big fan of the cork gaskets. In my case, however, I've had cork gaskets fall apart after less than a year of use. Maybe there are different grades of cork, who knows? I, too, think I know where to buy my next tranny gasket.

The tranny in our Windstar might be a ---- design, but at least they put a nice re-usable pan gasket on it. Witch is good because it needs fluid changes often.

Thanks for the AZ tip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back