Question on Fuel System Cleaners

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2007 civic sedan with 15k on it, will my car benefit from using these products? are they really necessary?which 1 u guys prefer? thx

Yes, it would cost too much for gas companies to develop additives like this for your gas so buying after market stuff will help. Gas companies care about competing with the guy across the street, not making your can run smoother. Is it necessary? Probably not, but they do what the advertize if you buy a time tested one. I like straight Techron for cleaning and UCL for every tank upper cylinder lube. Lube Control is another real popular one, but the reason I use UCL is because it's cheap by the gallon and you can buy it local, and I've had great results.

Yes, as a minimum every 10,000 miles it is a good rule to spend $5-10 and buy a concentrated fuel system cleaner. Very good preventative maintenance that keeps expensive parts clean
smile.gif
. Also, air up those tires while you're at it.

Quote:

I also have a 2007 Civic LX and use Lucas UCL. It makes my engine run smoother, especially when it is added to Shell V-Power.

u use premium gas on our cars? manula says 87 octane^^

I think a steady dose of something useful because I don't trust the gas at the pump to be all that my engine can use. I've used FP60, Red Line and now RLI. The RLI gave my wife's car a 1mpg boost over 4 tanks of gas from about 25.5 to 26.5. I can't be sure yet because it's only 4 tanks. One interesting thing with RLI is that from one tank to the next reduced visible smoke on coast down on a big hill about a mile long. You could down shift to hold speed just a little at 60mph, and the big puffs have been reduces to one very small one. I'm working on this one to switch back an forth and see if I can repeat the results. Anyhow, gas additives that lubricate and clean are worth while in my experience.

couple of observations I've made in the decade or so that I've owned fuel injected cars. Buy gas at high volume outlets and you wont need to use injection cleaners any where as often as the directions on the container would have you believe. I have no brand loyalty with gas. 87 octane is pretty much all the same.
I run a bottle of Gumout Regane through the tank annually. Usually, I dont notice any improvement. I use Marvel Mystery Oil in my lawnmower gas and have had a lot less problems with them. Using MMO in my cars, I have noticed a small gain in performance, but no gain in MPG.
Electronic Fuel injection is waaay better than any carb ever made in terms of reliability. I have had to work on the EFI in my 4 old BMWs a lot less than the carb on my Jeep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back