Mobil 1 High Mileage oil cleaning ability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My question is what makes this oil so great for cleaning sludge? Might it contain ingredients that would compete with Auto-Rx?
hornets_nest.gif

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_High_Mileage_10W-30.aspx

I just picked up a 98 Civic with 109,000 miles that appears to be free of the typical abuse most Honda see. I was considering running Mobil 1 HM 10-30 after the next oil change to clean out some sludge - Any thoughts?

FYI: I'm currently running Auto-Rx cleaning cycle on the following:

93 Civic real bad main seal leak
frown.gif

85 Toyota Truck 22r
&
91 V6 4runner
popcorn.gif

Quote:

I was considering running Mobil 1 HM 10-30 after the next oil change to clean out some sludge - Any thoughts?

I think that's a very good idea. I'd try that before the AutoRx stuff if it were me.
twocents.gif

Mobil 1 EP has ~35% more cleaning additives than M1. Maybe consider this for your cleaning step.

No engine OEM or lube marketer endorses additives - can screw up the functioning of the add pack that has passed all the tests. More additives is not better, just like more spices at dinnertime does not mean better.

Quote:

Mobil 1 EP has ~35% more cleaning additives than M1. Maybe consider this for your cleaning step.

No engine OEM or lube marketer endorses additives - can screw up the functioning of the add pack that has passed all the tests. More additives is not better, just like more spices at dinnertime does not mean better.

M1's additive pack is designed around longer oil change intervals, not extra cleaning ability. And as far as I know, no one has reported seeing any such benefit from EP. Matter of fact, there have been a few anecdotal stories of hi-performance engines failing after switching to the EP. But take that with a grain of salt.

I would not run M1 HM oils with Auto-rx until we know a little bit more about this stuff. We also don't have much on its cleaning ability yet. Maxlife is a great oil but Valvoline doesn't swim into the claims that M1 is making regarding cleaning ability. For the kings of wiggle words to make such claims, there might just be something to it. But again, we don't have enough people on here running this oil yet that have reported back.

As far as the question of oil additives, most are either junk or unnecessary. But we've found and tested a few on here that work quite well and don't inhibit the normal function of the additive pack or base oil, only improve it...Several UOAs and other user tests and experiments have proven this with arx. There's quite a body of evidence.

Thanks for the insight. It's hard to argue with people that have seen results with their own eyes - and I'm not trying to go there. UOA is very helpful indeed, but it is not the holy grail - it doesn't tell you everything.

I guess I prefer to play the odds that some of the biggest companies in the world who likely have some of the top chemists/formulators/engineers etc who actually work with the OEMs designing their engines may have lubrication insight that other companies do not have. If there was an advantage to be had you'd think the OEM and/or oil company would be quick to jump on it to provide a competitive advantage vs competition.

As far as M1EP having more additives, I'm reading from a Mobil brochure that I got at a car show: 36% more anti-wear additives, 37% more cleaning agents, 50% more patented SuperSyn. I'm sure a call to Mobil's 800 number could verify this.

As far as long drains, both the base oil and the add pack need to be able to hold up for the drain. Additive elements may be present in UOA, but that doesn't tell you if they are expired or not. A more robust add pack is needed to get to a longer drain.

Ok . . . after I originally posted this question re: cleaning ability there was a sudden increase of the same question for other oils.
laugh.gif
stooges.gif
pat2.gif

Mobil is making the claim that M1 HM is better at cleaning existing sludge than their "Mobil Clean HM dino grade"

Anyhow incase you didn't read Mobil's propaganda here it is for your convenience:

Cut from: http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_High_Mileage_10W-30.aspx

Mobil 1 High Mileage is designed especially for engines where conventional oil has been used, and where these conditions have been experienced:

Severe Service

Extended Oil Drains

Poor Maintenance

Multiple Owners

Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30 is designed for higher mileage vehicles and provides the following benefits:

Extra anti-wear additive helps protect critical engine parts.

Reduces the sludge and deposits that conventional oils can leave behind.

Contains a special seal conditioner to help recondition seals and prevent leaks.

Higher viscosity formula helps reduce oil burn-off and leakage.

Meets API SL/CF

ILSAC GF-3 quality

From the FAQ section:
http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils_FAQs.aspx#Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_FAQs6

I'm currently using Mobil Clean High Mileage with good results. Why should I change to Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-30, which costs more?

If your vehicle has been maintained well, Mobil Clean High Mileage represents an excellent choice. However, Mobil 1 High Mileage helps reduce the sludge that other oils can leave behind which can result in extended engine life.
popcorn.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back