Starting problems with Poulan Chain Saw

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 10 year old 14" Poulan that gets very little use. Yesterday I needed it to cut down an overgrown 18' Yew and it wouldn't start/run. Here's the run down:

Filled oiler, filled fuel tank.
Tried to fill the primer bulb - after numerous presses the bulb showed no signs of getting fuel and engine wouldn't fire up.
Turned engine on it's side (primer bulb up) and was able to get the bulb to draw fuel. Was able to get the engine to fire up briefly (5 second run) then it died. Wouldn't re-start.
Again couldn't draw fuel into the primer bulb unless turned on it's side. Engine only runs for several seconds and then dies.
Able to prime and start the engine, then quickly turn entire saw on it's side (again with primer bulb up) - now able to run engine for longer time (15-30 seconds) until it dies. Working the throttle allows the engine to run, but once the saw is turned right-side up it quickly dies.

The saw ran fine last Fall, it was stored with a small amount of stabilized fuel in the tank. Also, it was stored on it's side (primer bulb and fuel cap up)

Since the tank is still half full I can't see in there - I plan on draining the fuel tomorrow.

I'm curious if this is a common problem with some common remedy? It's seems that it's a fuel system problem.

Any Thoughts?

BTW - ended up cutting the Yew with a bow saw and lopping shears
mad.gif

Could be a bad fuel line and or the carb needs a rebuild.I had the same sounding problem with 6 year old a Husky weed wacker the rubber type material in the carb hardened and the fuel line was brittle and cracked when handled.

Did it have old fuel in it? The check valve on the primer might be stuck. I'm going thru a similar situation right now. I was given a near new looking ~12yr/old Toro CCR 2000 snowthrower with a tank full of fuel so old it smells like shellac! The hardened primer bulb fell out in my hand. 'Nother project for me..

Joel

A buddy of mine always said that's why they are named Poulan...you keep pullin' and pullin' and pullin' and they finally start.

Quote:

A buddy of mine always said that's why they are named Poulan...you keep pullin' and pullin' and pullin' and they finally start.

Ha Ha. I wouldn't mind just being hard to start - but if only it'd keep running
grin.gif

(I had an echo trimmer that took at least 5 minutes to get started. Once I got it going it was pretty good, but it's no good to be half exhausted before you even begin trimming/cutting...)

I haven't looked at it any further since the original posting. I have to clean it up since it's all oily from the bar/chain oiler without actually cutting anything...

If you don't know how to break the carb down, look at the post for a Homelite String Trimmer. I tried to type through the process. Make sure you're starting it right. If you don't, it won't run. Prime 6 or 8 times, put choke on full, lock throttle on fast, pull a few times until it kicks over. Take off choke (leaving throttle pegged). Pull until it starts and let it run for 5 or 6 seconds full tilt. You might be able to get away with another trick. Try to start is as explained above. Pull the plug and blow out the cyclinder. Do that two or three times to work the oldest, ickiest gas out of the system. It may start after that.

Well I finally got around to taking a closer look and I found out the problem.

After draining the fuel tank, I could see that the fuel pickup hose had come off the tank fitting. After fishing out the little weighted filter and the hose, the cause was even more evident - the hose was crumbling. It's the clear (vinyl ?) tubing, perhaps 1/8" O.D. and it just crumbles if lightly squeezed. I don't know if this is normal for this type of material (if so, what junk!) or if it's due to the fuel that was left in there (Stabil + oil/gas mix, used Opti oil).

Anyway, shouldn't be too difficult to get a small length of tubing down at my neighborhood lawnmower shop. I just need to locate a really long pair of needle nose pliers to put it back on the fitting....(Maybe they can do it for a small fee
grin.gif
)

touring5-

Yes, vinyl is known to fail sooner when exposed to oil/gasoline, but it's cheaper than gasoline grade nitrile rubber and that's why it gained popularity in small engine manufacturing as a way to cut cost.

Yes, replace it with another stretch of vinyl hose and it will be good for another 2 yrs...

Q.

If they want an arm and a leg, invest in a pair of long hemostats (surgical clamp). Cut the hose length ways for the first 3/4" to leave about half the material. Stick it into the tank, grab with hemostats and go from there. When you're done, you won't believe how many times you'll find a use for your new tool. You can keep your hemos cleaned and shiny and, perhaps, find a special place on your garage wall for them. Great for fishing too!

Good idea. I bought some tubing, but the lawnmower shop wanted $15 + hourly rate to put it on the fitting (and they wonder why people are buying lawn equipment at big box stores...). I stopped by Sears on the way and they had very little in the way of needle nose pliers (I think xcelite makes nice ones). Anyway, I discovered that Harbor Freight carries hemostats for $3.99 - and there's one not too far so that's the route I'm taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back