Effects of backwards air filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all...My stepdaughter has a '95 Geo Prizm with 168k miles that she's had for a little over a year. The fuel mileage EPA is 26 city, 30 highway. She's been complaining (as 19 year olds like to do) about always having to put gas in it. I filled it up 2 weeks ago and in that time she'd put on about 90 city miles. I took it out tonight and the gauge was between 1/2 and 1/4. I filled it with a whopping 4.228 gallons (21.6mpg). I figured something wasn't right here. So when I got home, I looked over the plugs and wires to make sure they were all secure. THEN I came to the air filter. Keep in mind, the only maintenance done since we've had it was an oil change. So I popped off the air filter housing and much to my surprise the filter was facing the wrong direction: the side of the filter with the pleats was facing up instead of the "chicken wire" side facing up. After I put it in the correct direction, I decided to see what this thing would do with highway miles. So, I drove around the interstate loop around Indianapolis to check if it made a difference. Upon refilling after that trip of 63.7 miles, it took a mere 1.791 gallons to fill (35.6mpg). I had the cruise stuck on 60 the bulk of the trip.

I told her tonight to stay off the interstate and when the trip odometer gets to around 90 miles, to let me know so I can check the mileage and compare it to that 21.6 all-city miles tank.

So here's my question: What, if any, might a backwards air filter have on fuel economy? Was the engine being starved for air, or would it still flow correctly even if it was backwards? Thoughts appreciated!

HUH?
crazy.gif

Quote:

...So here's my question: What, if any, might a backwards air filter have on fuel economy? Was the engine being starved for air, or would it still flow correctly even if it was backwards? Thoughts appreciated!

OMG, everybody knows a backward air filter will suck all the air out of an engine!
wink.gif

By re-using that filter and turning it around, weren't you afraid of the engine sucking dirt from the pleats? I'd replace that thing for $10.

Quote:

By re-using that filter and turning it around, weren't you afraid of the engine sucking dirt from the pleats? I'd replace that thing for $10.

That's comparable to turning your shorts inside out and wearing them again instead of washing them.
laugh.gif

that's one oil sample I would love to see.
sillycone.
pat2.gif

was that filter put in new like that? I hope so.

Quote:

that's one oil sample I would love to see.
sillycone.
pat2.gif

was that filter put in new like that? I hope so.

As far as I can tell, it was put in new that way. A couple of the pleats on the end were crunched a little. As if I didn't have enough to do, I suppose it'd be better if I got a new filter this weekend and the oil. Lord knows I'd never hear the end of it if something goes wrong with it.
crushedcar.gif

It sounds like the filter was in correctly, to start with.
The metal grate is for backing strength, and seems to have been oriented properly.

Quote:

Quote:

That's comparable to turning your shorts inside out and wearing them again instead of washing them.
laugh.gif

works for me!!!!!

According to the manual, and the illustration with it, I reinstalled it the correct way...chicken wire facing up. And, upon installing it that way, it fit into its slot...just like it's supposed to.
pat2.gif

One of my in-laws somehow installed a used fuel filter backwards once. The carb instantly went into fuel injection mode! We had to disassemble the carb to clean out the silt and replaced the needle and seat. A backwards used air filter problem probably won't show up quite as fast, but it makes me cringe to think about it!

Backwards should normally not change the flow rate, but turning it over will definitely put a lot of dirt into the engine. Normally the wire is on the outlet side, but a lot of filters have it on the inlet side, others use no wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back