Solara 3.3 V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Solara with a 3.3 V6( calls for 5W-30) I want to run a really good oil in this motor. I will change it at 3000 miles. I tired Mobil 1 5W-30 in my 2003 Tacoma 3.0 V6 and it made the motor valvetrain loud. I went back to GTX 5W-30 and she normal now. Would Mobil 1 5W-30, 10W-30 or a dino be best.

If you are going to change at 3K anyway, stick with what you are doing i.e. using the Castrol dino...now if you want to use the "Nectar of Sublime Toyotaness,"
wink.gif
then you only have one choice...the Green (your car seems to like Castrol).

[ August 16, 2004, 10:19 PM: Message edited by: pscholte ]

If you are going to change it a 3K then any of the brand name SL dino oils will serve you well. I tend to like Pennzoil dino products.

If you do use dino, I would think LC OR AutoRx at light maintainance doses may be wise. It would be sort of a waste to use any synthetic and chuck it a 3K intervals

Any dino would do well for 3K OCI...Chevron Supreme, Havoline or Pennzoil. How bout a synthetic blend say like a Motorcraft..for few cents more. Also LC/FP would aid even better...make that dino out perform itself.

If you can get away from a 5w-30 for a 10w-30, I would go with the Delo400 10w-30. But I know it's hard to find. Just that added protection...keeps the engine clean almost like a synthetic oil and an excellent product.

A slightly thicker formulation of M1 could be nice. As I understand, the 0W-40 is a thin 40 weight, so it may keep the valvetrain quiet for you, and still provide good cold weather performance.

You are getting excellent advise. Any "quality" dino 5w30 SL oil will do a fine job with 3,000 miles changes.

I note that you are in VA, winters tend to be on the warm side so the added cold start benefits of synthetic would be of little use to you.

Make sure you use a quality oil filter. I prefer the (top rated) Purolator Pure One but there are many fine filters out there.

Many happy miles in your "ride".

It's gonna come down to how long your gonna keep the car and your overall maintance of the car.Any of the SL dino's would work well.I would choose Supertech 5W30 as it's cheap(picewise)($7.08 for 6qts of ST oil and ST3614 filter)and a good performer.Toyota reworked these motors to really minimize the supposed "sludge problem".

One thing to keep in mind in your Toyota 1MZ motor(if it's anything like mine)is that wonderful horizontially mounted oil filter that tends to leave a mess when doing an oil change.

In my 02 Sienna I use M1 5W30 with 5k OCI's however my application is harder on the oil being in a heavier vehicle with a smaller sump.

Keep an eye
rolleyes.gif
on the PCV as it tends to gum up a bit rather quickly,at least on mine it does.When it does get a bit gummy it will cause a tad bit'o consumption
frown.gif

It's a really nice motor though,made right here in
patriot.gif

My brother has a 2001 V6 Solara with 35k miles on it. I ran Auto Rx in it for 1,500 miles and had him put Mobil 1 10w-30 in. Car is smooth as silk. Hope to have a UOA sometime in the fall. His engine doesn't burn oil so I will be sending in a sample.

Will be sending off the sample of Mobil 1 10w-30 in my brother's 2001 Solara with the V6 on Monday. Smooth car. Runs great. Has 42k on it. Had him run a treatment of AutoRx and right after ran Mobil 1 10w-30 for 5,200 miles. He's intereted in extended drains. He has done about 30-40 redlines. Drives pretty hard.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
Will be sending off the sample of Mobil 1 10w-30 in my brother's 2001 Solara with the V6 on Monday. Smooth car. Runs great. Has 42k on it. Had him run a treatment of AutoRx and right after ran Mobil 1 10w-30 for 5,200 miles. He's intereted in extended drains. He has done about 30-40 redlines. Drives pretty hard.

Only 30-40 redlines in 5k? I did 30-40 redlines just today alone!
grin.gif

Gee, how did I miss this thread. My last vehicle had the 1MZ 3.0L V-6; your engine, the 3MZ is its direct descendant. You can easily go 5k and longer with this engine, especially with the right oil. The link below is to my first UOA on this car, using the legendary German Castrol (GC). As you can see, great performance. Also, between 25 and 30k miles, I had the front valve cover off the engine, and it was utterly, totally spotless, without even any degree of varnish discoloration. And this was while I was running M1 between 5k and 7k miles. I also ran one fill of 5w-30 Amsoil (ASL) and it really seemed smooth and happy on that. Good luck with your new 3.3.
GC UOA in 2003.5 V-6 Camry

You can see why I like GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back