Lucus Oil Stabilizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, you are going to be corned holes in 3,2,1. Just kidding man, one thing that halped make BITOG famous was his review of this product. I really like the synthetic version, but would not touch the regular one. And, when I say I like it I think it's a quality product, not necessarily that I'm going to use it anymore. Read this link,
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/images/lucas/lucas.htm

If you read the link you can see why Bob and others aren't big fans of lubrication additives. A better way to take care of an older car is run a safe flush like Autorx and let your oil do it's job. Autorx= the non additive additive.

Wow...I am shocked to see that white milky stuff. Is that what its supposed to look like inside the engine then? I mean...I have drained my oil moments after shutting the car off and I have never seen that before.

I have been using it for the last couple of oil changes and my Caprice runs out much better. I never had any burn off and I still don't. The Caprice has 200K on the body and 125K on the engine. The first engine developed a head gasket leak and the engine gernaded on me. (I had an extended warrenty and I took it to the GM dealer when my low oil/coolant lights went on and they told me it was fine! Ha!! idiots...then then had to install a new engine after it blew up on me. So much for trying to be proactive.)

The old engine had always used Mobil 1. I have never used Mobil 1 in the new engine. I don't trust it after the engine problem whether it had anything to do with it or not...I didn't want to try it again. I have always thought it was too thin like the Castol Full Synth. Personal opinion. Now the engine kind of ticks at start up but after the engine warms up there isn't any sound coming from it anymore. If I don't let the engine warm up...with or without LOS....it ticks. At 60mph when I hammer on the gas it doesn't make any noises anymore...whereas before it would slightly tick in higher rpm's. I mean...it seems to work for me too. The car either way has always ran strong.

The oil fill cap on the Caprice says to use 5w30. I have been using Castrol Syntec Blend for the majority of the newer engine's 125K life. At one point early on I used Castrol Full synth but it was getting past the rear main seal. it wasn't a drip but it was getting wet around the trans cover. So I switched to the Castrol Syntec Blend and the leak turned into a light mist. Then I added a bottle of LOS and the leak is like none-exsistent now. I mean...I sometimes wondered what it was really doing. I just thought it was thicking it up and that was it. My friend told me to try it because synth oil is so thin and my car was built in a time when synth. oil didn't even exsist yet...so he suggested I try Castrol Syth blend and some lucus to thicken it up.

I don't care too much either way...I have been wanting to build a new engine for this car anyway because the L05 TBI 350 is such a opathetic excuse for a 350 its not even funny. I have done all the bolt on I can do to it and flashed the chip but its still never been a great engine. The TBI is ultra reliable and it starts up every day...never left me standed...its just such a weak version of the Chevy 350...I have always secretly hated it.
smile.gif

Your crank case is for oil only. Oils today are great. Don't decrease there performance by using a oil additive like Lucas.

Lucas oil additives don't seem worth anything; however their fuel additive UCL, is greatly reviewed on here. Different products, different results, same company.

Does the bottle say that this product was tested with your brand and viscosity of oil? You also have to ask yourself why your oil needs to be stabilized and if this product works are you willing to used it for the life of your engine. Might it be better to look at the engine oil and the operating conditions and look for a better long lasting solution? You may have a better chance of solving the problem by keeping it simple and try a different engine oil. No matter what anyone tells you, simple is better.

O.K. I can use a different oil. I don't have to use it. I currently use Castrol Systech blend...which I have always used. The oil cap says to use 5W30. What version of Castrol that is thicker?

The engine doesn't really matter to me. I mean...like I said...I hate that engine...its a terribly weak version of the TBI 350...probably the weakest ever. The 1993 Caprice LTZ 350 was only rated at 180hp I think. I just decided to do all the bolt on's I could and run it until it dies...but I have always attempted to maintain the engine regularly. I mean...I haven't used Lucus for more than a few oil changes. I can change...really...I can.
smile.gif

This Auto RX stuff looks dang good though. I would be concerned about cleaning out stuff that may actually be helping my engine not to die.
smile.gif
Anyway...thanks for the honesty...I appreciate it.

Thanks,

Quote:

Also i have Used it on old Ford 8N tractors, i had one that was smoking badly and was underpowered and the lucas made all the differance in that Flathead ford

Doesn't change the fact that Lucas is unaddtized, thick goo that serves no real purpose for most people. If you need thick goo to improve compression and ring seal it's time for a rebuild.

Quote:

Quote:

Also i have Used it on old Ford 8N tractors, i had one that was smoking badly and was underpowered and the lucas made all the differance in that Flathead ford

Doesn't change the fact that Lucas is unaddtized, thick goo that serves no real purpose for most people. If you need thick goo to improve compression and ring seal it's time for a rebuild.

Yes, as if everyone has lots of spare cash for a rebuild just burning a hole in their pocket...

For the life of me, still trying to figure out why anyone educated in oil chemisty would use this product? Not saying I know it aLL BUT``````````````````````````
dunno.gif
hide.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, as if everyone has lots of spare cash for a rebuild just burning a hole in their pocket...

Point being using Lucas for anything other than a thickening agent is useless and counter-productive.

Lucas oil stabiliser is an awesome product.

For those of us with a set of plastic gears sitting in a plastic housing, being turned at egg beater speeds, for the 20-30 seconds that the average punter runs the experiment at.

Their fuel additives are pretty good IMHO

The only way I would ever consider using such a product as Lucas or STP is too slow down an oil consumption problem/leak on a slowly dying engine...

NEVER in anything new. NEVER in anything older, but running well and using little, if any, oil...

I've had cars pushing 200K that burned very little oil and I could never find an excuse to use an additive...

I've been using the "synthetic" oil stabilizer at work for our crosscut shredder which requires lubing every other week or so. It seems to work fantastic for that purpose. Also works very well as a bicycle and garage door opener chain lube. Why do I use it for such seemingly oddball purposes? 'Cause I bought FOUR GALLONS of the stuff pre-BITOG! D'oh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back