MTX75 Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
No pros/cons to either.
Motul gear 300 is an excellent manual tranny fluid.
Since the price was right, I would definitely use the Motul.

I want to change my post. I thought the Motul is a motor oil. (I didn't mess with the non-linkie)

I have no experience with the Motul gear oil. But it's a dual rated GL-4 - GL-5, and since it's not for use in a LSD, it should be fine in a gear box.

I wanted to edit my first post to correct the bad link, but I haven't figured out how to do that. The ford honey is like $12/qt from what I can remember. Neither oil is a motor oil, as you know. Amsoil recommended a motor oil a while back (and as you state they still do). I think Amsoil has recommended 3 different oils since the focus was introduced. I appreciate the help. It seems that I will be doing a free tranny fluid swap, which is always awesome.

You said the oil is not for use with LSD...the guy I got the oil from is using it in an LSD equipped tranny, I assume with a friction modifier. With the friction modifier, it would work well with an LSD, correct? Thanks again.

I have zero idea why Amsoil doesn't recommend MTG for that Focus app....maybe they haven't tested it....maybe they think it needs a slightly thinner vis. I'll need to ask.

I suppose the Motul will work in an LSD with the correct FM.

It may help to know that the Ford Honey fluid specified by Ford for that transmission is very nearly motor oil and has very little or no additives that are normally associated with gear oils.

Evidently the biggest thing that Ford was after when they went to that Fluid was high resistance to sludge so it seems to have a high level of Group III base stock and a very high TBN.

Many blenders specify synthetic motor oil of the correct viscosity for use in this transmission.

There is no reason that a gear oil specifically blended for manual transmission with a GL4 or GL5 rating could not be used as long as it has high resistance to sludge.

RedLine MTL has proven to be inadequate and it sludges badly in this transmission.

Many fluids have been used in this transmission. I won't bore you with the list, but it includes Mercon as that was factory fill in the Contour for all but the last few months of production. Shift quality is better with fluids with higher levels of friction modifier. ATF+3 and ATF+4 worked well in mine. Among the more popular alternatives to Ford Honey is Royal Purple (Synchromax?) and Torco.

At the moment I have Ford Honey in my transmission and it shifts better than any other fluid I have used. I added 2 oz of Ford XL3 Friction Modifier which has since become controversial. It works for me. Next time I change it I'll probably use Torco.

Thanks for the insight. A couple things, I would be hesitant to use a fully loaded GL-5 in this tranny.

Can you define "sludge" in a tranny. I'm really curious about this and how the heck Redline MTL "sludged". Has anyone run a UOA?

The Ford fluid is simply a GL4 75w90. The link is provided above in the 1st post. So, use it or any other GL4 75w90 or equivalent. Redline MT90, Amsoil MTG, RoyalPurple MaxGEAR, Redline 75w90NS, Synlube, Torco RTF, and the Motul Gear 300 would be easy choices.

RoyalPurp Synchromax, Pzl/Tx Synchromesh, Redline MTL, Ams MTF, and Torco MTF are too thin and should NOT be used in an application requiring 90wt gear oil.

Sludge? in a manual? Yeah right!!! Maybe if you ran the tranny 2 quarts low and overheated it, or flooded it with water, or allowed the Redline MTL to clean out the crud leftover from the previous fluids used. Sorry, won't believe that until I see it. Post the UOA of the sludged RL MTL. Even though MTL is the wrong weight fluid, it is pretty stout and won't give in unless there are other issues.

The Ford gear oil specified for that trans (Ford Honey) is not GL4 oil. The literature reads that it is suitable for manual transmissions requiring GL4. DO NOT USE RED LINE MTL IN THAT TRANSMISSION. Red Line MTL will sludge up in that trans, clog the lube channels in the spyder gear shafts, and allow extreme wear on the shafts. Red Line would not address this issue when this problem came up on Contours.

Pablo, when this came up at Contour.org, no one bothered to get an oil sample analyzed. I'll look for the link to that extremely long thread. The closest that came from that was someone tested new samples from Ford Honey and Red Line MTL and showed that they were different and therefore Red Line was not a satisfactory replacement. Flawed logic. The comment wast the "Red Line is more of a gear oil". And indeed it is, as the Ford Honey is nearly engine oil with a high TBN.

The link seems to defend MTL.

How about, I used the wrong fluid like a schmuck and broke my notoriously weak POS ford manual transmission?????
Or, I never maintained my transmission and when I finally did, it was already too late and broke
pat2.gif

Ford honey specs are in the link in this thread, 75w90 GL3 and GL4!
http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.co...mission%20Fluid Check it out. Its another fill for life fluid
laugh.gif

Now, what was Ford recommending before having Conoco whip up a full synth 75w90 for their manual transmissions? ATF? Factory fill is Mercon ATF and then TSB a 75w90?? Makes you think a little. Its no secret that Ford has issues with transmissions. Thick protects and they stepped up from ATF to 75w90. Doesn't anyone think that its a little extreme to step up from ATF to a 90wt
dunno.gif

Flawed logic is blaming MTL for a failure caused by lack up maintenance interval, weak transmission parts, or owner abuse.

UnDummy,

Have a little patience and read the whole thing.

Conoco is not the supplier for the fluid you posted the link to. Castrol is. It is the same product as as sold in other parts of the world under a Castrol label. At the moment I don't remember what name is used elsewhere, but it isn't available with the Castrol Label in the US.

If you look more closely at that link you posted you will see that it isn't GL4 fluid. It is recommended where GL3 and GL4 fluid is called for in manual transmission use. Ford has another product that clearly is GL rated, but it is not their preferred fluid for this transmission.

The only weak link in this transmission is the Differential. The common breakage is not from worn out spyder shafts as you could see in the pictures in page six. With a Torsen or Quaffe installed this transmission holds up just fine to use and abuse with forced induction engines in Contours with 400 plus horsepower.

On the link I provided, take a look at page 12 for pictures of a transmission that was torn down for inspection, no observed problems, it was out for a clutch and available for inspection. It had RedLine MTL in it for a short time (it seems like I remember less than 10,000 miles) since a full rebuild where the trans case was dipped clean before reassembly. It sure looks like sludge to me.

Gee, that Ford fluid is expensive!
Depending on where you look, Ford recommends different viscosities for their trannys.
Factory service manuals, service CDs, and owner's manuals differ. It also depends on the date of printing, even for the same trans.
My Ford ZX2 tranny requires Mercon ATF - not the best fluid. It also was spec'd for 75-90 gear oil.
I have tried a bunch of lubes, and currently have Pennzoil Synchromesh in there. Works great.
I will probably try and settle on one of Amsoil's new tranny lubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back