Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP Formula

Status
Not open for further replies.
I received a case of 12 liters of Mobil 1 5W-30 ESP Formula motor oil yesterday from AV Lubricants. I got this for my 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK) CRD with the Mercedes-Benz 3.0L OM642 engine. This is one of the bare handful of oils available that meet the MB 229.51 specification.

M1-ESP-front.jpg

Check out that bottle. Smooth!

M1-ESP-back_1.jpg

Label.

M1-ESP-back_2.jpg

Note the specs.

Quote:

............ This is one of the bare handful of oils available that meet the MB 229.51 specification.

That and the 5W-40 ESP. Valvoline also make an oil that's 229.51 approved, but not for AMG engines. And yes, it is expensive! Good luck with it.

Regards,
paul...

Do you need to AMG or is 229.5 sufficient ? Also need only 5W30 ?

According to my notes (need to verify). PP and QS 5W30 Euro meets the 229.5 spec, not AMG. M1 0W40 Euro at WM $6 meets both. Valvoline 5W40 SynPower and 5-10W30 Maxlife Synth meets 229.5.

Quote:

PP and QS 5W30 Euro meets the 229.5 spec, not AMG. M1 0W40 Euro at WM $6 meets both. Valvoline 5W40 SynPower and 5-10W30 Maxlife Synth meets 229.5.

From the Mercedes-Benz Approved Oils list,

Quote:

MB sheet 229.5 approved oils; "MB Longlife Service Oils"
for passenger cars with gas and diesel engines with extended drain intervals beyond 229.3 oils, to 30,000 km, min 1.8% fuel saving, first oils introduced summer 2002. ACEA A3 B4. For gas engines of the M100 series, gas engines of the M200 series and diesel engines of the OM600 series (not models with Euro 4 diesel particle filters).
229.5 engine oils must be used with fleece oil filter designed for use with 229.5 engine oils.

and now we have...

Quote:

MB sheet 229.51 approved oils; low ash long life
Mercedes pioneered this new spec for passenger cars with diesel engines with exhaust particulate filters, and gasoline engines, and longer service life than the 229.31 oils. The spec was introduced in 2005. Change intervals increased to 20,000 kilometers. Based on ACEA A3 B4 and C3.

So, no, nothing currently "off the shelf" meets the the more demanding 229.51 spec.

Boxcab, you ar eright.
BTW, that oil is the actual Euro version and getting it for about $10 a liter is certainly a score, considering that I just saw the exact same bottle and oil in Germany going for 27 Euros.

Let us know how the oil does.

Ahh, a german diesel CRD sounds like a sweet hunk of machine. Too bad it's not in a 300M or a Sebring. Or a Caravan or Dakota!!!! Anything made by Chrysler.

I also note the oil is a 506.01 oil to boot! Appropriate for the VW PD TDI crowd.

I also note that this is a BMW LL04 approved oil.

This stuff must be NECTAR!!!! The GC is only LL01 rated and must be GREEN with envy!

I anticipate being able to pool my oil into this one product for my 330Ci, my TDI Jetta, heck even my Escalade will probably love this stuff!

Any idea what you could run for an OCI in a gas engine? For the price, it better be long if I am going to try it out!

Quote:

Any idea what you could run for an OCI in a gas engine?

No idea. In the Jeep, it's 6250 miles schedule "A" or severe service, and 12,500 miles schedule "B" or normal service. This 3.0L engine holds about 10 quarts or 9.5L of oil. When I install an Amsoil EaBP-110 bypass filter at the first oil change, it should then be about 12 quarts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back