Motul LL-01 specific 5W-30 or Elf Full-tech 0W-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What OCI are you planning? What is your typical driving like?

Have you considered the gold GC? It seems to work just as well as the green in my 2003 330Ci. The dealer oil is also a good choice and likely cheaper than Motul or Elf especially if you are a BMW CCA member.

On the Green stuff I've been going up to 7500 miles combined city/highway. I've used the gold on other BMW's, but it's just not the same as the green.. I'll use the BMW HP synthetic if I have to(it doesn't even meet BMW's own LL-01 spec by the way), but I'd rather give Elf or Motul a shot first. Both the Elf full-tech 0W-30 and Motul BMW specific 5W-30 published specs look to be very similar to the elixer.

I'm running gold GC in mine and I plan on doing 7.5k miles OCIs, too. I think this oil will have no problem with this whatsoever. However, if the gold GC were to disappear, I think I would give PP 5w-40 Euro a try.

Quote:

...I'll use the BMW HP synthetic if I have to(it doesn't even meet BMW's own LL-01 spec by the way)...

I am a bit of a skeptic with regard to the BMW oil sold in the United States, but this is the first that I have heard that it does not meet LL-01. How certain are you of this?

Pretty sure it only meets LL-98, can't remember where I read it though(I wouldn't trust it for a oci over 5k). What I do know for sure is that it's made in the USA and it is a Group III hydrocracked oil which cannot be called synthetic in Europe. In any case, the dealership near me charges a lot for it, and I would rather not give that dealership or BMW NA any more of my money, especially if I can get a better oil. Green GC was that oil for me, but alas my stash has run out. Oils I am considering are: GC gold, Elf full-tech, Motul LL-01, Lubro-moly 5w-30, redline 5w-30. Oils I'd rather not use: amsoil, mobil1, bmw HP 5w-30. Luckily, my sump is full of green GC right now, so I have plenty of time to make up my mind.

Quote:

Pretty sure it only meets LL-98, can't remember where I read it though(I wouldn't trust it for a oci over 5k). What I do know for sure is that it's made in the USA and it is a Group III hydrocracked oil which cannot be called synthetic in Europe. In any case, the dealership near me charges a lot for it, and I would rather not give that dealership or BMW NA any more of my money, especially if I can get a better oil. Green GC was that oil for me, but alas my stash has run out. Oils I am considering are: GC gold, Elf full-tech, Motul LL-01, Lubro-moly 5w-30, redline 5w-30. Oils I'd rather not use: amsoil, mobil1, bmw HP 5w-30. Luckily, my sump is full of green GC right now, so I have plenty of time to make up my mind.

I think if you look at UOA reports available on this site, you will be impressed. BMW HP 5W-30 works really well for 15k intervals. As good or better than any other oil I have seen. The fact that it is made in USA and uses Group III base does not mean it is bad.

Of course, I am not saying that Motul or Elf are bad, either. But I have seen the UOAs and I use it myself without a moment of hesitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back