Diesel Engine Cam Galling

Status
Not open for further replies.
This article supports my belief that a semi synthetic oil may out perform both a fully synthetic or fully mineral based oil in routine passenger car applications. Synthetic oils are not a panacea.

aehaas

So what kind of additive, if any, is used in higher group oil to restore "traction"? maybe some chainsaw bar oil, LOL (30w grp1 with tackifier). or am I totally missing the point of this study?

I find the whole "synthetic oil is too slippery" thing a bit ironic. On one hand people will say synthetic oil does not have a lower coefficient of friction on the other hand, not enough traction.

Properly formulated synthetic diesel oils have been used for millions of road miles of the last 15-20 years and have not resulted in overly worn cams, etc. I'm not sure if and what is used in the oil to aid the initial traction, but I would think it wouldn't take long for the oil to not need such additive as diesel combustion soots up the oil.

I also wonder what is used in the new style CJ-4 oils such as Amsoil DEO 5W-40

I find this from years ago still interesting:

http://www.amsoil.com/testimonials/409000.aspx

Mobil ,Shell ,Delo oils claim 1,000,000 mile engines on their non syn oils ???? I would not have any adversion to running Amsoil or any other quality syn oil . The oils are well formulated and tested. Reading an article then jumping to conclusions is silly. Just too many people running syn oils with good results.

Nobody here in their right mind has or would conclude from this article a blanket statement that using synthetics designed for a certain application are risky in that application. I think a reasonable conclusion is that using the wrong oil for certain applications is risky. The coolest thing about the article to me is showing HOW different motor oil ingredients affect the traction coefficients. Just hearing that certain oils should not be used in certain applications is important but not very interesting.

I apologize for reposting an article already posted. I should have done some searching before posting.

Again, it's the formulation of base oils AND additives that greatly affects the outcome(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back