Mobil 1 0W-40 Question/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTC

I'm considering running this oil in my 4.7L Jeep Grand Cherokee. I believe the spec calls for a 5W-30. The oils I have run in this engine are M1 5W-30, Amsoil Series 2000 0W-30, Series 3000 5W-30 and GC 0W-30. I'm currently on my first interval of GC, but it appears to no longer be readily available in this area. So, I'm thinking I may go with the M1 0W-40, which is available at WalMart and seems to be, from what I've been able to gather, one of the better M1 oils on the market. The engine has almost 100K miles.

Is there any reason I should not run this oil. I'm pretty sure that I should not be concerned, but I figure it can't hurt to ask folks that take this kind of stuff seriously.

Go for it. I think it's a great choice. Not too thick, not too thin, long drain capability, not your typical M1 Supersyn oil, yada yada.

I probably worry about this kind of stuff more than I should.

I'm also thinking about putting it in a 1994 Camaro Z28 I'm trying to get back up and running. I'm pretty sure that engine also calls for a 5W-30. But, I may look around and see if I can find some German Castrol now that it seems to be popping up again. I know the last time I tried to find some at Autozone here in Lansing there was none on the shelves.

GC seems to be back on the shelves here in Lansing. Now I have to make a decision. I may try the M1 just for the ---- of it.

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of the M1 0W-40 anywhere I've been, but in addition to WalMart, Autozone also had some on their shelves.

Is there any sort of consensus as to which is the better oil between the two, M1 0W-40 and GC?

I distinguish Gold GC from Green GC. Testing has shown that the basestocks are likely the same but obviously the additive packages are not. A member here who works in the "industry" is currently waiting on test results that may show that one is better than the other in one or more areas. We shall see. He or I will post it.

I like M1 0W-40 over Gold GC but I'm sure a decent case could be made that is of the opposite conclusion. There are so many variables and performance metrics to cloud the issue. I've had oil consumption issues with Gold GC in two vehicles. Other people with the same two vehicles have not. My same two vehicles have had less oil consumption with M1 0W-40. And one of them got lousy gas mileage on Gold GC and brilliant gas mileage on M1 0W-40. Go figure.

I'm getting it changed in the next couple of days. I've got the gold GC in now and it's going to have about 9300 miles on it. I'm also reusing an Amsoil EaO filter that's going to have about 17,000 miles on it. It should be interesting to see the numbers.

I think I'm going to try the M1, see what happens, and then pick whichever has held up best and quit getting an analysis every time I change the oil. I would feel fairly comfortable running most any of the oils I've used for 7K-9K miles. I'll pick the best one and run with it for a while.

In my application (a 1998 BMW M52B28 2.8L inline 6 with short 6500km/6month OCIs) M1 0W40 protected well enough but sheared substantially (from 14 into the 12s). GC for 8000km stayed nearly the same viscosity (mid 12s), results in a much quieter engine, similar fuel economy and protected just as well.

M1 0W40 is still on my "list", but I substantially prefer GC, green or gold. Around here it's also easier to get than M1 0W40 and the price is the same. I've never tried Amsoil.

mobil 1 0w-40 over here at my local wal-mart sales for cheaper than the GC at AZ... havent done an UOA on the m1 0w-40 but my uoa of m1 5w-30 shows it has alot of Fe vs alot of silicon during my GC usage. i may stick with mobil 1 0w-40 for awhile unless i see voa and uoa of the new GC M07 batches.

Why not stay with GC for the moment? It is currently available, it has shown great UOAs (M1 in general hasn't), and it is at least a known Grp IV, which any given flavor of M1 may or may not be.
Why switch based upon the possibility that a given oil might not be available at some future date?
But then, there is always Amsoil, which will remain readily available.
Why consider M1 0W-40, which may itself be leaving the general market?

M1 0W-40 uses PAO and one or more Group 5 base oils. It's different in terms of additives and base oils from other M1 oils. It's amazing in some applications and not in others. It may be a better or worse choice than GC in any given application. Only way to know is to try both oils.

JAG,

M1 10W40. You say is PAO+ and different than other M1. I believe YOU (!!!) based on 0W40 being the most spec'd oil in the world, or atleast one of them.

But how do you know ? Couldn't it be the EOM Visom GrpIII ?

The 0W40 appears to sheer down a bit but I assume no VII so it's the base sheering ?

I'm looking for what makes it good and it's weaknesses. I see the 10W30 HS looking good, but not much else.

All M1 Supersyn oils use high viscosity PAO(s) at low treat rates. It's written on the backs of the bottles. That's how Supersyn originally got its name.

Do you have a data sheet for Visom? I can't find it.

M1 0W-40 does shear quite a bit and is certainly from a hefty dose of VIIs because while base oils can shear, they don't shear that much. I think the goal is to improve gas mileage.

Some of what makes it good IMO is:
1. One of the longest drain gas engine oils available
2. Amazing oxidative and thermal stability
3. Has strong detergency/dispersancy
4. Can help reduce oil consumption
5. In my VW 1.8T, it gives best gas mileage out of all other oils I've used

Weaknesses:
1. Do not use if you need a hefty 40 weight oil viscosity
2. Might not agree with a particular engine (I've seen a few UOAs where iron was inexplicably high)

The Mobil 1 is going in tomorrow. It will be interesting to see how the GC held up. I've run it a little bit longer than I had planned and reused a filter for the first time ever.

Thanks glenncof. My PC won't open PDF files for some reason but i think I've seen that file before. All I can say now is that GTL (gas-to-liquid) should be great in motor oil when mixed with Group 5.

I think this oil may have eliminated some valve chatter that I had been experiencing on startups. My Jeep also hasn't blown up from the increased viscosity. So far, so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back