ATF in gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't do it. It won't burn clean(produces ash when burned). Even MMO would serve you much better as an UCL and cleaner I would say. Best to leave the ATF for the trannies....wait that didnt come out right
laugh.gif

It's true tranny fluid lubricates but it also contains friction modifiers I doubt fuel injectors and pumps are to happy with those.

Use MMO or Lucas UCL I use both and get smoother idles and quieter fuel pumps.

It's an issue I'd side step in a NY minute.

If anything, a little Marvel Mystery Oil would be ok in most cases.
patriot.gif

Some people have the mistaken idea the ATF is a cleaner.
There is/was a rumor/old wives tale that MMO used ATF as a carrier fluid. NOT TRUE.
MMO is cheap enough as it is; and it does have two or three solvents in the mix. Works better than ATF.
I doubt ATF would hurt injectors, but why bother?
My 2¢

ATF used to be used as a combustion chamber cleaner. It works in that capacity. The notion was created by some mechanic finding a leaking vacuum modulator that was tapped into one runner of the typical V8 intake ..having cause to pull the heads and finding a clean piston and head while the others were carbon crusted. This was in the 60's.

Anyway, apparently there are ash issues that would make this an unwise thing to do these days. We don't have carbon encrusted heads/pistons like we did with our lame and numb carb'd engines. That is, fuel dilution in the typical 60's-70's V8 did WAY more damage than some ash issue. When this was a semi-known practice, we were at Dexon (I). Who knows what's in there now
dunno.gif

ATF is a 5W20 weight oil with the proper additives for an automatic transmission. Works good in hydraulic applications where it is specd, but do not put it in your gas tank, and it does nothing as an additive for motor oil either.

What the others said about additives in the fuel tank work fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back