Question on Ford 5.4L burning oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I own an 06 Ford F-150 with a 5.4L and it's using about .5 quart of oil every 5-6k of Mobil 1 5w-30 (not EP). I know this consumption can be considered normal but coming from an 01 Toyota Tacoma with the 3.4L that didn't use a drop, I'm wondering if I can do something to stop this?

How many miles on the truck? I would change the PCV valve and try a 10w-30 weight oil (Mobil 1 is fine). But .5 quart of oil every 5-6k miles is nothing, it's perfectly normal. My G35

Quote:

What was the oil consumption before Mobil 1?

I don't know because when I first bought it I changed the oil out at 1k then at 2.5k and that's when I changed over the the Mobil 1 5w-30. During that first OCI it actually used up 1 quart instead of the .5 that it regularly consumes now.

I've been thinking about using 10w-30 instead but from the specs that I see on Mobil's site, 5w-30 is actually thicker.

Ford 5.4 and 4.6 are notorious for burning oil. They leak thru the valve seals and guides especially the 4.6. .5 qt every 5-6k is excellent.

Quote:

I own an 06 Ford F-150 with a 5.4L and it's using about .5 quart of oil every 5-6k of Mobil 1 5w-30 (not EP). I know this consumption can be considered normal but coming from an 01 Toyota Tacoma with the 3.4L that didn't use a drop, I'm wondering if I can do something to stop this?

Go get yourself a couple of jugs of Rotella 5W40 synthetic from China Mart. That will help and is cheaper than M1.
I had several of the 3.4 Tacomas. After 145K with a supercharger it never used a drop. Those were great engines.

Quote:

Ford 5.4 and 4.6 are notorious for burning oil. They leak thru the valve seals and guides especially the 4.6. .5 qt every 5-6k is excellent.

What source are you basing "notorious" on? In all the years these engines have been in use I've not seen one use any appreciable amount of oil.,,,,By the way .5 qt in 5,6k IS NOT APPRECIABLE!!

Try Motorcraft 5w20 that engine's specked for and see what happens.

Bob

Quote:

I had several of the 3.4 Tacomas. After 145K with a supercharger it never used a drop. Those were great engines.

This is exactly why I wasn't expecting this from my truck. My Tacoma gave me 103k trouble free miles and I just hope my first American truck can do the same.

Quote:

I'm not sure if it's leaking through the valve seals or guides but it becomes more noticable when I put highway miles on it which makes me think that it's burning it.

trust me the japs will never make a truck that will out do our domestic trucks especially ford!!!these new tacomas or tundras literaly far apart on a rough road!!!what i have have read and seen.

In my opinion that's very acceptable. My old 00 5.4L would burn a quart every 1k after 3k until I changed to Havoline 5w20 then I could go 5k without any usage.

Quote:

They leak thru the valve seals and guides especially the 4.6.

I think your information may be outdated. Ford fixed the 4.6 valve seal issue in 1996.

I agree with the posters above...half a quart in 5,000 miles is well within normal.

My 190K F150 4.6L engine started life on 5-30, went to 10-30M1 for all of it's life and now is on 5-40 Delvac 1. The D1 is fantastic oil. I change every 5K, so the tiny consumption I have is within the noise. Even with 190K on the odo.

The orig dino oil did get consumed at a higher rate than the 10-30M1. The D1 consumption rate is even lower. Maybe 1/4 quart per 5K.

Quote:

This would hold true for the first generation of 4.6L engines, but nothing after 1996 has this problem.

Quote:

trust me the japs will never make a truck that will out do our domestic trucks especially ford!!!these new tacomas or tundras literaly far apart on a rough road!!!what i have have read and seen.

You've been on a diffent planet driving different Tacomas than everyone else if you think that. That's a laugh!

Tacomas and Tundras are /great/ trucks. Nissan's quality control is still to be desired but Toyota makes amazing pickups. I have a friend that I recommended a 2006 Tacoma to and he bought it new with no options to speak of, and hasn't had a single problem with it yet. And he knows next to nothing about cars. All he's had to do is fill up, get the oil changed, and go!

I have proof. A diehard ford guy bought a 2000 Ford Expedition brand new. AT ~35000 miles they rebuilt the head due to leaky valve seals and guides. At ~54000 they did it again. He is due for another again. Luckly he got an extended warranty. All 3000 5w20 oil changes as per Ford. My cousin had a 4.6 in his Expy and at 80000 miles the valve seals were leaking. While you may be right that 4.6 tends to be a leaker. Cant really speak for the new ones though but that redesign in 1996 did not cure the problem IME. My freinds Town Car valve seals leak. I guess I just happen to see a bad group of 4.6.
dunno.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back