TBN of the German Castrol??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, did a search..nada. What is the TBN of German Castrol? And it is different from the green to the gold? I have it in my 1996 Buick PA, and wondering how well is is at neutralizing acids.

Here's the most recent GC VOA.

And, someone put this data together a couple of years ago...

Castrol 0w-30 GC VOA
..........Green.....Green.....Green.......Green........Gold
..........M04023..M04097..M04280...M05010.......M05028
P.........1076......1105......1123.......1222...........903
ZN.......1277......1187......1287.......1348...........1157
CA.......3401......3683......3431.......3428...........1941
MG.......222........218.......238.........229............770
TBN......9.03.......8.47......8.81........9.03...........9.03

The green of old looks more like a HDEO.

Bowser

Forgive me for getting off the subject somewhat but was it the green or the gold that folks chipped in and had tested by Terry to determine whether it was PAO? If it was the green, has anyone ever performed the same test on the gold? I went back and read the thread related to the testing of it but didn't see where it stated green or gold.

It was the green that was tested. The specs haven't changed and the UK Castrol site states it's Castrols highest performance oil, so I'm guessing it's the same base formula.

Tom NJ (New Jersey) did a gas chromatograph on the German Castrol Gold at this thread: http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...ge=1#Post746495
I am surprised it is not a sticky. Well, done chemical analysis done in controlled lab setting, showing the pure ester base of the oil.

Then I sent him a sample of the Green Castrol.
smile.gif

Isn't that strange? How could two results be quite different in their analysis? I read the results Terry posted and respect his thoughts and read Tom's as well and his differs as to ester content as well as the type of esters (if present). Is running these types of tests not exactly cut and dry and is subject to interpretation? It's all way over my head but I do find it strange to get different results from the same oil.

Yep, it's a "who do you believe" matter. Gas Chromatography results definitely require a lot of knowledge and experience to properly interpret. Tom is an expert on esters so since he said he could not find much of them, I believe him. Also he said it makes no sense for there to be such a thing as a PAO derived ester. I believe him on that too. I'd be willing to change my mind if someone with enough knowledge showed that they can exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back