more HP out of light weight oil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gains were fairly small and more in the higher RPM ranges that a lot of stock vehicles may not see very often. Also the test engine was two to three times a powerful as the typical car, so gains on the average car probably are negligible to the individual owner, but would add up for purposes of CAFE.

I would agree with this article and in my experience, when I tried PP on my last OCI, it was thicker having just come off the MC 5w-20 prior to the PP, the PP made my car feel 10 pounds heavier. Now that I am on M1 5w20 currently, it feels just as thin as the MC and the car has way better throttle response then the PP. I would agree that atleast for the cases of MC, PP and M1, thinner is better. For the record, MC gave me great perf and mileage with M1 coming in second although being a full syn, I will sacrifice a little for the sake of protection and varnish.

Last edited:
Quote:

According to Farner, oils like Quaker State's full synthetics can easily withstand sump temperatures in excess of 300 degrees F, and he says that some oval track race teams are experimenting with temperatures as high as 350 degrees F.

Mark is a member here. Ferndog.
cheers.gif

Quote:

Another reason to perhaps shorten drain intervals for performance engines is that oil is an important component of ring seal. If engine oil is contaminated with water, the water evaporates almost immediately around the rings, reducing ring seal and horsepower. Several years ago, we witnessed this firsthand at the U.S. Nationals when John Lingenfelter's small-block-Chevy-powered Pro Stock truck suffered an internal water leak. Once the water mixed with the engine oil, the 9,000-rpm engine lost double-digit power, which cost him the race.

The ultimate seal with piston rings is assisted with engine oil. The highest friction loss in an engine is found between the rings and the cylinder wall. Quaker State's research indicates that a too-thin oil can actually vaporize at the top ring, sacrificing ring seal.

Fuel is another contaminant that is often found in engine oil. Fuel can enter the oil from several places, most commonly as blowby past the rings. Even though we think of fuel as easily evaporated, according to Farner only the light ends of fuel evaporate at room temperatures. The heavier ends require temperatures as high as 450 degrees F to fully evaporate, which means that even at 300-degree oil temperatures, there can still be residual fuel that tends to reduce your oil's effective performance.

Quote:

I would agree with this article and in my experience, when I tried PP on my last OCI, it was thicker having just come off the MC 5w-20 prior to the PP, the PP made my car feel 10 pounds heavier. Now that I am on M1 5w20 currently, it feels just as thin as the MC and the car has way better throttle response then the PP. I would agree that atleast for the cases of MC, PP and M1, thinner is better. For the record, MC gave me great perf and mileage with M1 coming in second although being a full syn, I will sacrifice a little for the sake of protection and varnish.

Mobil 1 5w20:
cSt @ 40º C 48.3
cSt @ 100º C 8.8

Pennzoil Platinum 5w20:
cSt @ 40C 46.84
cSt @ 100C 8.48

Your car should "feel lighter" with the PP.

Quote:

PP made your car feel 10 pounds heavier. I wish my senses were that sharp.
frown.gif

Quote:

Quote:

I would agree with this article and in my experience, when I tried PP on my last OCI, it was thicker having just come off the MC 5w-20 prior to the PP, the PP made my car feel 10 pounds heavier. Now that I am on M1 5w20 currently, it feels just as thin as the MC and the car has way better throttle response then the PP. I would agree
that atleast for the cases of MC, PP and M1, thinner is better. For the record, MC gave me great perf and mileage with M1 coming in second although being a full syn, I will sacrifice a little for the sake of protection and varnish.

Mobil 1 5w20:
cSt @ 40º C 48.3
cSt @ 100º C 8.8

Pennzoil Platinum 5w20:
cSt @ 40C 46.84
cSt @ 100C 8.48

Well that is what happenned. The only variable is I was using the Japanese Toyo Roki oil filter which, being more sturdy as well as obligatory for my 'clean cycle', probably was more restrictive and increased oil pressure.
crazy.gif

Quote:

I would agree with this article and in my experience, when I tried PP on my last OCI, it was thicker having just come off the MC 5w-20 prior to the PP, the PP made my car feel 10 pounds heavier.

crackmeup.gif
crazy.gif

"For street engines that do not suffer this kind of track-day abuse, merely pouring in a synthetic does not mean that you can radically extend service drain intervals. Petroleum-based oils do not lose their base lubrication characteristics, what does suffer with use are the additive packages added to the oil. Synthetics are no different"

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I would agree with this article and in my experience, when I tried PP on my last OCI, it was thicker having just come off the MC 5w-20 prior to the PP, the PP made my car feel 10 pounds heavier. Now that I am on M1 5w20 currently, it feels just as thin as the MC and the car has way better throttle response then the PP. I would agree
that atleast for the cases of MC, PP and M1, thinner is better. For the record, MC gave me great perf and mileage with M1 coming in second although being a full syn, I will sacrifice a little for the sake of protection and varnish.

Mobil 1 5w20:
cSt @ 40º C 48.3
cSt @ 100º C 8.8

Pennzoil Platinum 5w20:
cSt @ 40C 46.84
cSt @ 100C 8.48

Well that is what happenned. The only variable is I was using the Japanese Toyo Roki oil filter which, being more sturdy as well as obligatory for my 'clean cycle', probably was more restrictive and increased oil pressure.
crazy.gif

The JDM S2000 Toyo Roki filter is larger than the standard Honda A01/A02 but it shouldn't be any more restrictive. These filters are manufactured to maintain a level of oil pressure that is specified by Honda. I mean no offense at all, but I think it's just in your head about the difference in feeling between the M1 and PP in your car...

My 2.2L Ecotec feels and sounds different with GC 0w30 vs Amsoil 0w20 ASL. As the posters have correctly said - I really only notice this in the higher RPM range (past 3.5k). (racing or downshifting to high rpms).

However... I have recorded little MPG gain - 1-2mpg and I can never be sure if it is wind/driving conditions/etc...

Quote:

Metal end caps versus cardboard plus other differences will make the JDM filter more restrictive

I think you don't know what you are talking about. Cardboard end caps may be cheap and appear shoddy, but they don't restrict oil flow because oil doesn't flow through it, just like filters with metal end caps. It's the size, compactness of pleating, and material that the MEDIA is made out of that ultimately determines whether a filter is more or less restrictive.

Hammer

so, what kind of clearances was that small block 454 running? vs. a modern production car engine blueprint? If it was "loose", as suspected, it no big suprise the 20w50 didn't show much pumping loss. Not sure I'd base my daily driver oil selection on this test.

Quote:

"For street engines that do not suffer this kind of track-day abuse, merely pouring in a synthetic does not mean that you can radically extend service drain intervals. Petroleum-based oils do not lose their base lubrication characteristics, what does suffer with use are the additive packages added to the oil. Synthetics are no different"

Actually not exactly true. Petroleum-based oils due oxidize, break down, shear and evaporate at faster rates than PAO and ester based oils. And good additives last a LONG time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back