Oil for a new Ferrari F430?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually just use WD-40 with one drop of SLOB per quart to lubricate my Ferrari. You can get WD-40 in gallon jugs and if you cannot find it don't fret, just spray several cans into the oil dipstick tube using handy straw...
hornets_nest.gif

Oil analysis for 2007 Ferrari 430 Coupe performed 8/2007:

According to FNA the Ferrari was delivered with Shell Helix Ultra 5W30. This car was delivered factory new to my neighbor about 4 months ago. The car has not had the oil changed but he says he added 3 or 4 liters of Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 since his purchase. I just took a random sample without changing the oil, at around 3,500 miles on the oil and the car. He would normally run the recommended 5,000 miles before a factory oil change but he ordered the 430 Spider. He will trade in this coupe for the spider next week. Driving has been 80 percent city, and spirited.

Shell Helix Ultra 5W30 has a 100 C viscosity of 12.1 and I have found that this Shell oil thins very quickly. In his Enzo the 10W60 Racing Helix oil became a 40 grade after only 1,400 miles. If you consider that he added 3 or 4 liters of oil to this 430 oil analysis we have a lot of thin oil running in this engine.

I therefore think it is perfectly safe to use a shear stable 30 grade oil or even a good 20 grade oil as the 5W20 Red Line in this car. This assumes you are an urban, not race track driver.

The 430 owners manual only recommends one oil for all applications. This is for all temperatures and for racing conditions as well: Shell Helix Ultra 5W40.

_______New Ferrari F 430 Coupe_______
______With 3,500 Miles, OEM oil_______
Iron__________25
Chromium _____ Nickel ________6
Aluminum ______5
lead __________12
Copper ________28
Tin ___________3
Silver ________ Titanium ______ Silicon ________8
Boron ________ Sodium _______7
Potassium ____ Molybdenum __ Phosphorus __819
Zinc ________ 1000
Calcium _____ 1242
Barium ______ Magnesium ____1078
Antimony _____ Vanadium _____ Fuel %Vol _____1.1
Abs Oxid ______40
Abs Nitr _______11
Wtr %vol ______ Vis cS 100C ___11.1
SAE Grade ____30
Gly test ______NEG
TBN _________not done

I tested my oil using this company: www.youroil.net
Go to this page and download this Excel file to see other peoples results: http://members.rennlist.com/oil/

aehaas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back