10w30 or 5w30 Supertech synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Honda Odyssey (V6) with about 85K miles. I presently use Supertech 5w30 synthetic with a mobil 1 filter at 7K OCI. Should I switch to a 10w30 or it really does not matter? I live in southern ny. Thanks

Stay w/ 5w30. I haven't looked at the 40degC visc of these two, but since they're otherwise the same oil, you should pick the one w/ better flow during the first 20 min of operation in all ambient temps.

For the same price of your OCI, you may see better wear rates & longer engine oil life running Quaker State synthetic or Pennzoil Platinum with OEM filter. Both oil brands are under $20 in the five quart jug at Walmart.

How do you know that Supertech is working for 7K? Have you done any UOAs

The factory manual calls for 7500k OCI with the filter at every other change. I figure with running full synthetic and a high quality filter that this should be a better deal. What do you think?

Quote:

Stay w/ 5w30. I haven't looked at the 40degC visc of these two, but since they're otherwise the same oil, you should pick the one w/ better flow during the first 20 min of operation in all ambient temps.

Yes the 5w-30 will have better flow at startup..
thumbsup.gif

Quote:

The factory manual calls for 7500k OCI with the filter at every other change. I figure with running full synthetic and a high quality filter that this should be a better deal. What do you think?

I would get a UOA. 7500 may or may not be to long for the oil your using..

How do you know that Supertech is working for 7000K ? Have you done any UOAs.

I agree that the ST synthetic 5W30 is fine and an ST oil filter would also be s good choice at alot less money over the Mobil 1 filter(both being made by Champion Labs). The ST oil filter has been for sometime now, made with a synthetic filtration media. And, heres another thing! The factory doesn't know what 5W20, 5W30 or 10W30 motor oil that the owners are going to use in their vehicles when the engineers turn in their specs for the owners manuals. If, for example, Honda says in the owners manual that 5W30(or what ever)motor oil can be used in their engine safely for 7500 miles, then 7500 miles should be the mininum miles(under normal conditions listed in the OM) for OCI's... Especially since alot of owners take their vehicles to the dealer, a quick change lube or their local garage and probably get a crank case full of bulk SOMETHING OR ANOTHER, unless the owners specify what they really want. Any opinions on this?

I would get a UOA done and verify the supertech is really working for 7,000mi. While the supertech full syn. has produced good wear numbers, it usually looks depleted after 5,000 miles.

Stick with the 5w-30. There's no reason to change that.

However, it seems to me that there are better balanced options for both the oil and the filter, without spending a lot of extra money.

Honestly? I think you're spending too much on the filter, and not enough on the oil.

I'd buy the Pennzoil Platinum in the 5 quart jug (spending a couple extra dollars there), and get 'Gold' filters at NAPA (saving a few bucks there). The NAPA Gold filters are a top quality design and use an enhanced media material, and are built by Wix.

The cost per oil change would be nearly the same (or possibly a few dollars more). It depends on how much you're paying for the M1 filter. That I don't know.

With those changes, I'd say you're good for the full 7,500 mile OCI without any concerns.

The SuperTech 10W30 is ACEA A3 rated according to the qt bottle. If this is true it is elite since any xW30 meeting HTST >3.5 is rare.

But Hondas are high mileage vehicles so they could probably take whatever you give it. 5W30 in NY winter is good. You could consider seasonal 5W30 in winter, 10W30 in summer if you want to bother.

ST filter is fine while you're there but I think NAPA ProSelect (Wix) has better construction at similair price. Hard to tell which has better filtration.

777 is right. Give an edge to Pennzoil Plat. which you can find on sale/rebate. Right now $0.99 at CSK chain stores on sale/rebate. It's likely based on Shells XHVI, best GrpIII going from what I can tell.

If I can get for $1/qt and filter for $2.50 why not go 5K OCI. Skip the UOA, do an oil change or several.

http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art52116.asp

What do the numbers on the containers mean? Some have a number like SAE 30 and some have like 10W30 on them. Oil testing is specified by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) When an oil is tested it receives several ratings one of these is its viscosity sometimes also commonly called its weight. Basically viscosity is the oils ability to "flow". The oil in an engine is circulated throughout the engine by an oil pump and then drips back down through holes called galleries. The higher the number the thicker the oil and the slower it flows. The ambient temperature is the deciding factor on the weight of oil that you should use. Basically if you live in a cold climate you need lighter oil if you live in a hot climate you need to use heavier weight oil. A single number such as SAE 30 is indicative of an oil that has a single viscosity rating, these oils were developed before complex polymer oils existed and cover a very narrow operating range. Look for the oils that have a multiple rating such as 10W40. These are called multi-viscosity oils; at zero degrees 10W40 flows like ten weight oil and at high temperatures it flows like forty weight oil. Multi-viscosity oils actually get thicker as they get hotter.

I was always in the mode of thinking along the same lines.
star-wars-smiley-008.gif

(changing viscosities for ambient temperature changes)

Is this ridiculous?

Yes, I know the link I just posted is for "the voice of women" and I am most certainly male, but women have good stuff to say too sometimes...

Quote:

I would get a UOA done and verify the supertech is really working for 7,000mi. While the supertech full syn. has produced good wear numbers, it usually looks depleted after 5,000 miles.

I have never seen this on any Supertech Syn UOA.

I think the OP's choice sounds great. Supertech synthetic is a great bargain synthetic oil. It will definately perform better than any non-synthetic oil. His OCI is less than the mfg's recommended interval for non-syn oil so he does not need to do any UOA's.

I would stick with the 5W30 weight.

Here is a 1.9 TBN after < 5000mi.

Here is one with a TBN of 1.5 after 5,500 miles.

Quote:

Quote:

I have never seen this on any Supertech Syn UOA.

I think the OP's choice sounds great. Supertech synthetic is a great bargain synthetic oil. It will definately perform better than any non-synthetic oil. His OCI is less than the mfg's recommended interval for non-syn oil so he does not need to do any UOA's.

I would stick with the 5W30 weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back