Arctic Freeze AF-1 vs Glacier Ice GL-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Arctic Freeze AF-1
Glacier Ice GL-1

I'm trying to decide which one to buy. Both are the same price (more on that later), but has anyone had any experience with either product?

(BTW…both cost $14.99 at Target due to a clearance, but the Arctic Freeze one was originally $24.99 vs. $19.99 for the Glacier Ice. I’m tempted to get the Arctic Freeze as it claims to cool down faster and has a reusable trigger gauge dispenser (though I don’t think I’ll have to touch mine after this for several years), but it’s the last one left and it appears as though it has been tampered with. Still seems full weight wise compared to the stack of new Glacier Ice cans.)

I've used Arctic Freeze with high degree of success on a couple of HOndas so far (a 1995 Accord, a 1998 Acura CL Vee6). Both have experienced more than +ve results (both throws cold like never before after the refill)

No idea how good Glacier Ice is.

BTW: for ordinary systems I would just get the R134a refrigerant and fill (no oil).

Q.

I would pick Artic Freeze because it says "new and improved" instead of just "new" like Glacier Ice does. Duh, come on. Oh, and by the way...

Here are two threads I would recommend you look at. The three big links in the second thread are still working (as of now, just checked... highly recommended reading):

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...rt=all&vc=1

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/s...rt=all&vc=1

Alright, why don't I just post them (thanks TheTanSedan and Vikas for the links):

http://www.macsw.org/pdf/PM.pdf

http://www.macsw.org/pdf/MACS Service.pdf

http://www.motor.com/MAGAZINE/Articles/042005_04.html

I promise I'll try not to ramble, but here are some opinions to consider from one semi-literate internet guy who read through the above articles and threads:

1) The R-134a charge tolerance for a lot of cars as specified by the manufacturer is very small; within fractions of an ounce for some. The total amount of refrigerant required for the entire system in some cars is less than what those DIY kits contain. It's not likely you're going to get an "accurate" (as specified by the manufacturer) fill using a DIY kit; it is likely that you will be overshooting or undershooting to any given degree, in which case you'll get what you get. Using the PSI gauge (the one that comes with the kit) in isolation as the way to measure your refrigerant charge will likely not be functional if your goal is to refill the system to the level specified by the manufacturer.

2) There is also the possibility that your air conditioner's presently unacceptable performance is due to more than the system simply being undercharged (though an incorrect charge could contribute to other problems which are now not able to be removed or lessened simply by correcting the charge), which is something to consider whether your goal is to restore your system to manufacturer specifications or just increase your chances of squeezing some cold air out of your jalopy for a while. The second article above lists at least 10 things aside from a low charge that you could point your finger at. If the system is not performing well, I would not automatically assume the system is undercharged unless the car is very old and has never been serviced (as it will likely have lost some refrigerant over the years through leaks, which at this point is fairly common with "older" cars) and even then, this is no guarantee that the charge level is the only thing wrong or that simply replacing the lost refrigerant (if you could even gauge this accurately) will improve the performance of the air conditioner to a degree you find satisfactory at the cost of the time/effort/compromise involved. If you can functionally predict that the benefits of satiating your curiosity (along with whatever other benefits you are likely to acquire) outweighs the damages you are likely to acquire over whatever period of time is meaningful (or something like that that rings with the same tone), knock yourself out. Use whatever methods are functional for you in obtaining/maintaining/completing whatever your system of goals happens to be (little known fact: if you say that, it makes it come true). If you are happy in the end (whatever "end" is for you), that's all that matters. See?
music-smiley-016.gif
"It's-such-a-good... feeling... a very good feeling... to know you're alive, it's-such-a-happy-feeling..."
music-smiley-016.gif

At least what I feel are "generically generic" elements I can list which I would pay close attention to if I had already decided to use one of these kits (as opposed to elements I would pay close attention to if I were deciding whether I wanted to use one of these kits in the first place)... luck is not always on your side, and this is by no means "objectively" comprehensive in any fashion... it's my guesses:

1) ambient/engine bay temperatures during the DIY event (hot, had you been driving recently, etc.)
2) status of the air conditioning system prior to the DIY event (had it been running recently, how well, what settings, etc.)
3) how fast the refrigerant/oil is being introduced
4) how much refrigerant/oil is being introduced
5) the status of your engine and air conditioner during the DIY event (running or not, what settings, etc.)
6) the relationship between how much and how fast you are introducing refrigerant into the system and the temperature of the air coming out of the vents
7) the relationship between how much and how fast you are introducing refrigerant into the system and the temperatures of the accumulator and evaporator inlet pipes

Ok, so I rambled, but I don't apologize. Happy tinkering.
color.gif
cheers.gif

Quote:

*BITOG multiple choice questionnaire* (pick the BEST answer, each question worth 5 quarts)

1) Julian is trying to:

A) Wind down
B) Utilize expressive functions to manage his hierarchy of values
C) Convince The Critic he should not use a DIY kit on his car
D) Inform The Critic about how he can use a DIY kit on his car the most effectively
E) Impress everyone with a wordy dialogue
F) Alienate others by demanding more effort than they are willing to give
G) None of the above

2) Julian is assuming:

A) The Critic was unaware of the information previously posted
B) The Critic was aware of the information previously posted
C) The Critic is a cheapskate
D) Anyone has read this
E) Reasonable people will not think his tone is inappropriate
F) People will think he is joking or only select humorous responses
G) None of the above

Score: _______

Quote:

1) The R-134a charge tolerance for a lot of cars as specified by the manufacturer is very small; within fractions of an ounce for some. The total amount of refrigerant required for the entire system in some cars is less than what those DIY kits contain. It's not likely you're going to get an "accurate" (as specified by the manufacturer) fill using a DIY kit; it is likely that you will be overshooting or undershooting to any given degree, in which case you'll get what you get. Using the PSI gauge (the one that comes with the kit) in isolation as the way to measure your refrigerant charge will likely not be functional if your goal is to refill the system to the level specified by the manufacturer.

True, but 1 oz is going to mean a lot more to a system that only holds 13 oz compared to one that holds 24oz. In addition, the specified refrigerant amount listed by the manufacturer is the perfect amount for maximum performance, but on many systems, I would think that you could be slightly under or overcharged and still obtain decent performance from the system. Otherwise, how would those DIY kits work for so many people?

Quote:

If the system is not performing well, I would not automatically assume the system is undercharged unless the car is very old and has never been serviced (as it will likely have lost some refrigerant over the years through leaks, which at this point is fairly common with "older" cars) and even then, this is no guarantee that the charge level is the only thing wrong or that simply replacing the lost refrigerant (if you could even gauge this accurately) will improve the performance of the air conditioner to a degree you find satisfactory at the cost of the time/effort/compromise involved.

It’s a 96 Saturn SL2 with 104,000 miles and I’ve never serviced the A/C system. The system is reasonably cold during higher-speed highway driving but during low-speed driving on very warm days, the air coming out of the vents felt as though it could be a bit cooler, relative to the outside temperatures of course. After reading one of the articles that you had posted, I think it’s safe to assume that a loss of 3-4oz wouldn’t be unreasonable after such a lengthy period of time.

I went ahead and bought the Glacier Ice kit and added 3-4oz to the system and checked the pressure on the low side of the system after about running it for 10-15 min on “MAX A/C” in recirculation mode. My system holds 24oz total. It was 75-80 degree out at the time and with the engine idling, the air coming out of the vents was ice cold. Let’s just say I was shivering after sitting in the car for 10 minutes, I had to get out. The pressure check showed about 28-29 psi @ 900rpm. Later in the day when it was in the low 90s, the air felt cool relative to the outside temperature during stop-n-go driving and was ice cold on the highway at 60 mph. Given the current results, I think that I’ll leave it alone. If performance becomes worse, I’ll just take it to my A/C guy and have it done correctly.

Quote:

*BITOG multiple choice questionnaire* (pick the BEST answer, each question worth 5 quarts)

1) Julian is trying to:

A) Wind down
B) Utilize expressive functions to manage his hierarchy of values
C) Convince The Critic he should not use a DIY kit on his car
D) Inform The Critic about how he can use a DIY kit on his car the most effectively
E) Impress everyone with a wordy dialogue
F) Alienate others by demanding more effort than they are willing to give
G) None of the above

2) Julian is assuming:

A) The Critic was unaware of the information previously posted
B) The Critic was aware of the information previously posted
C) The Critic is a cheapskate
D) Anyone has read this
E) Reasonable people will not think his tone is inappropriate
F) People will think he is joking or only select humorous responses
G) None of the above

Score: _______