LC and oil consumption

Status
Not open for further replies.
No oil consumption with or without LC20. My reason for using it was to aid in varnish removal, but after 10K miles there is little noticeable difference. At least it's not getting any worse, but I was hoping it would have a cleaning effect on the varnish.

I saw no change in oil consumption when using LC, and I saw no varnish removal on the areas I can see under my oil filler cap. I have no evidence that LC did anything for my engine.

Quote:

I saw no change in oil consumption when using LC, and I saw no varnish removal on the areas I can see under my oil filler cap. I have no evidence that LC did anything for my engine.

Kinda' difficult to see carbon deposits under the filler cap. Product is best known for lengthening oil life and removing carbon deposits. The word "Carbon" is not spelled "v-a-r-n-i-s-h".

Quote:

Quote:

Kinda' difficult to see carbon deposits under the filler cap. Product is best known for lengthening oil life and removing carbon deposits. The word "Carbon" is not spelled "v-a-r-n-i-s-h".

And UOA's showed no difference with or without LC. Read LC's ad copy - the "v-a-r-n-i-s-h" figures as prominently as carbon. And what do you think varnish is comprised of anyway ? It is a carbonaceous deposit.

I ran 2 ARX cycles on my 93 corolla which now has 147,000 miles on it and have been running LC-20 since then. The valve cover gasket was leaking so I the valve cover off & could rub the varnish with my finger & it would loosen up & come off. Back when I first replaced this gasket 2 yrs ago this would not happen, the varnish was hard like it was gold plated & nothing would come off without using solvent on a rag so I believe that it does loosen it up.

I used a good dose of LC20 in one vehicle that was burning quite a bit of oil and it dropped consumption noticeably with no other changes other than the addition of the LC20. Later I ran several cycles of the ARX stuff and lowered the consumption even more. This was on a friends 4.6 Ford engine in a 93 marquis. It started out consuming one quart every 300 miles. Now goes nearly 1000 miles on a quart of oil. I think valve guides seals could be bad or guides worn, but not really worth looking into on this older car. I finally have the owner trained to check and add oil well before the light comes on now. She runs dino 10W-30 in the winter and 15W-40 in the summer, with a good maintenance dose of LC whenever they drop by to try and keep things clean.

First LC has the same limitations as Auto-Rx in that it has to be in contact with a surface with enough regularity to clean it. So if their is not a lot of direct oil flow and splash is minimal then it is not going to magicaly clean the varnish off.

Second the current instructions are much too weak to do sersious cleaning! The origanal instruction allowed for 16 once flush and also allowed for 2-4 onces per quart to be used at initial fill. It also allowed for 2 onces per quart for make-up every 1000 miles. If you have varnish and LC has not removed it then you are not useing enough. I would add 16 onces to the oil 500 miles prior to the next oil change! Then when you change the oil use 2 onces per-quart for initial fill and 2 onces each 1000 miles until varnish is gone. To keep it clean and extend oil chagnes go to the current instructions that are on the side. The old instructions worked great for 50+ years then at the request of bitog'ers they lowered the doseing. I think that the current instructions have removed all the power from LC!

I have used LC to clean up over 7 engines like clock work over and over again with the above instructions!

LC inc. should love your instructions as they would move a lot more product. I for one agree with you about the original instructions vs. the modern weaker doses. I have also used at least 2 oz. per quart in new oil and 2 oz. every 1000 miles. I have also used the 500-1000 miles Neutra flush right before an oil change and that REALLY works well too.

I like LC better then Auto-Rx for routine usage as a maintence item. I even experimented with shock dosages of LC in the fuel to clean up dirty combustion chamber's. I have used it in Automatic transmissions,power steering systems, lawn mower, and other equipment.It will stop or reduce oil consuption if the reason for it is due to dirty seal's and rings. It has to finish cleaning it though before you will see this. It will sometime's cause an increase in consuption until the cleaning is complete. We also see the same thing with Auto-Rx in a really dirty engine things usualy get worse before they get better.

Neutra 131 is good stuff as well. The only reason I do not often recomend it is due to shipping charges. It is now a Haz Mat item so unless you have a distributor near your home it simply cost to much to get it to your door!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back