Motul 300V 5W40 - 7700 miles - '01 Audi S4

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the older UOAs on this report are the same Motul 300V 5W40, except the last one, which is Mobil 1 0W40. The Audi twin turbo engine is chipped and runs oil temps up to about 260° in warm weather.

blackstone_uoa_s4_94200.gif

Hey, long time no "see". Great report.

Are you curious about the super secret RLI 5W40? I'm sure you've read the sticky.
smile.gif

-Dennis

Not to be a nay sayer, but at $15 a liter for 300V, it does not seem to be giving you any additional benefits that a lower cost synthetic would give you. I even suspect that at half the price Motul Excess 5W-40 would perform about the same.

Well it cost a lot less than that in qty. But you have a point. The Audi only takes 6 liters and barely uses 1/2 liter in between changes. My 993 has twice the capacity and drinks a lot more oil. So I use the very decent Mobil 1 Diesel Truck 5W40 in that.

Quote:

Is this one of those Audi engines that destroys oil?

No, not normally. The iron cylinder walls seal pretty well. Usually fuel dilution in this engine is an indicator of bad injectors or an overly rich A/F profile for guys running excessive turbo boost. These engines do have a tendency to turn turbos into dead snails.

Rally Jon, Motul 300v is$12.50/liter if you Google it, at least the last time I looked.

Rally Jon, I just looked, just Google motul oil online [I think I can say that-right?]

Guess this is a previous version of 300V 5W-40 which is BIO degradable grade. Never saw bad results with it and glad that this UOA confirms I was right buying a full box as a reserve before this BIO oil was discontinued. Actual composition is different. May be the new one will show good results too, but we still need to gather statistics.

I wasn't aware that Motul was using this much Moly in their oils. This report does look good.

Is it not a concern with the 300v for long OCI and lack of detergents? Maybe I am wrong on this one, but I thought 300v had little detergents and was suitable for races and very hard driving, but not continous long OCI.

Last edited:
Is it not a concern with the 300v for long OCI and lack of detergents? Maybe I am wrong on this one, but I thought 300v had little detergents and was suitable for races and very hard driving, but not continous long OCI.

I want to know the answer to this and hopefully the right answer. Good question Saab.

[Is it not a concern with the 300v for long OCI and lack of detergents?]

Nobody in a hurry to answer this one.....Must be the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back