f150 oil grade 10w30 good or bad? HELP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by pepper32:
gopher, did you use 5w20 last winter? If so, how did hold up in those Minnesota extremes?

I did run 5w20 last winter. I used Havoline 5w20, which depsite an average CCS rating and a mediocre pour point (-27F), was one of the easiest starting and quietiest oils I've run in the winter.
dunno.gif
I will note the coldest start I can recall last winter would be around -25F or so.

I got a '01 5.4 F150 4x4 Screw and it has only seen 5w20 Motorcraft or Castrol and usually Motorcraft filters with 3k-6k OCI.I got 70k miles and have never had 1 problem with mostly HW driving. Waiting to send out my 1st 2 UOA's one with a Mobil 1 filter
the other with a Motorcraft
Can somebody tell me what tests would be the most defintive for OVERALL comparison's sake?
How about lab prefs too.

Also since I use the 5w20 can I use the Mobile 1 filter without worrying about flow issues.

quote:

Originally posted by AHC:
I've been running 3,000 miles OCI's with Amsoil 5W-20 and Mobil 1 0W-20 since my 01 5.4L's first oil change. I now have about 20K miles and no issues so far. Just switched to Royal Purple 5W-20 for fun. Seems to be a little quieter than the Mobil 1 under hard acceleration.

Wouldn't accelerate hard with 5W20 in the engine.

quote:

Originally posted by mf150:

quote:

Originally posted by AHC:
I've been running 3,000 miles OCI's with Amsoil 5W-20 and Mobil 1 0W-20 since my 01 5.4L's first oil change. I now have about 20K miles and no issues so far. Just switched to Royal Purple 5W-20 for fun. Seems to be a little quieter than the Mobil 1 under hard acceleration.

Wouldn't accelerate hard with 5W20 in the engine.

Not sure I agree. I've mashed the pedal plenty of times, even while towing 3,000+lb trailers with XW-20 under the hood and see nothing but good UOA's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back